Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
Those are great finds. Although I'm not sure that the TTC would be keen on running T1's past Kippling all the way out to Kitchener, as the graphics suggest. Smile

The next few years are going to be more and more exciting. This has been so much fun to watch unfold and develop.

Sorry to be brutally picky and off-topic, but how does a paragraph like the one below make it into a Master's level thesis (page 16):

"Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo , also known as the Tri-Cities, creates Waterloo Region, one of the largest metropolitan area in southcentral Ontario. Kitchener is centrally located within Waterloo Region and locating the intermodal transit hub there creates a significant link between Waterloo, Kitchener and Cambridge, and to the wide Province. Kitchener is the largest municipality in Waterloo Region and has a population of 233,700 according to the 2013 census. 16"

First of all last I checked Waterloo Region also consisted of 4 townships, not just the 3 cities.
Second of all, censuses are done in years ending in 1 and 6; there was no census in 2013; the population had to have come from another source.
Finally, I doubt the cited source is correct: 16. Gastil, Raymond, Zoë Ryan, and Van Alen Institute. Open : New Designs for Public Space. Van Alen Report. Vol. 16. New York: Van Alen Institute : Distributed by Princeton Architectural Press, 2004

The author's design also calls for, "...access for pedestrians to the whole complex and for vehicles to the parking from Waterloo Street." (page 59)

How about this statement, "Currently, cars, buses, bicycles and trains travel on and across King Street; therefore, adding LRT will create a lot of traffic and chaos." (emphasis added by me).

Anyway, if you want to read the full thesis it is at the link below with additional renders and floor plans from the Kitchener site and examples of other projects from around the globe; the San Francisco and Rotterdam examples were interesting:
https://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/bitstream/h...sAllowed=y or if that doesn't work https://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/handle/10012/10048
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
The one that got me for some reason was on page 14 where the civic and the market districts seem to be labelled as each other.
(02-02-2016, 09:57 PM)BrianT Wrote: This is an interesting vision for the Intermodal Transit Hub. http://masrioarchitects.ca/thesis-urban-...ansit-hub/    and http://waterlooarchitecture.com/bridge/b...lic-space/
Nice! I didn't know we were getting subways too?!

Tongue
(02-02-2016, 09:57 PM)BrianT Wrote: This is an interesting vision for the Intermodal Transit Hub. http://masrioarchitects.ca/thesis-urban-...ansit-hub/    and http://waterlooarchitecture.com/bridge/b...lic-space/

Definitely a nice find.  If for nothing else to have an idea of what might be going through people's heads in terms of what could happen there.
(02-02-2016, 10:31 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The "pick-up/drop-off" ramp to the upper level accessed off of Duke is a different concept.

Covered train shed is nice, but I like the more bulbous one that was floated as a concept a few years ago.

Interesting that a major incorrect detail that the project is for the Region of Waterloo and not the City of Kitchener made it through to publication.

Where is the image featuring the old TTC subway cars headed to Downsview supposed to be?

I'm pretty sure every proposal I've seen has included the pick up drop off ramp on the upper level.  I've seen a couple of cross sections with it in place dating back a couple of years.
(02-03-2016, 05:48 PM)D40LF Wrote:
Nice! I didn't know we were getting subways too?!

Tongue

Yes, according to the second photo the TTC will be running a line from Downsview all the way to K-W. Maybe we should lobby for a station at YKF...

If Scarborough is getting subways, surely KW deserves it to!
Nooooooooooooo
Update on project in planning and works agenda:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...f#page=176

Recommendation:
That the Regional Municipality of Waterloo endorse the recommended direction
described in Report No. PDL-CPL-16-14, dated February 23, 2016, as the basis for
advancing the development of the King-Victoria Multi-modal Transit Hub, subject to the
receipt of senior level government funding, and including:
a) Holding a Public Information Centre to update residents and adjacent land
owners on the King-Victoria Multi-modal Transit Hub project, including feedback
on the Waterloo Street pedestrian access options, and invite the City of Kitchener
to co-host and provide updates on associated planning initiatives;
b) Retaining Ontario Infrastructure and Lands Corporation (Infrastructure Ontario) to
act as the Procurement Advisor for the construction of the King-Victoria Multimodal
Transit Hub project, on terms satisfactory to the Regional Solicitor, to an
upset fee limit of $305,000 plus applicable taxes, and authorize the
Commissioner of Planning, Development and Legislative Services and the Chief
Financial Officer to enter into agreements with associated advisors, including
Legal, Fairness and Design/Engineering services;
c) Amending the Region’s 2016-2025 capital budget and forecast to include the
King Victoria Multi-Modal Transit Hub as set out in Attachment 2 to this report,
and reflecting the Region’s intention to fund that portion of the King-Victoria Multimodal
Transit Hub project related to meeting the increased need for service
arising from development, including any excess capacity related to meeting that
need by development charges; and
d) Formally pursuing funding opportunities from a variety of sources, including the
Greater Toronto Transportation Authority (Metrolinx), VIA Rail, and the Federal
and Provincial governments.
A key point about the Waterloo street connection

"The Steering Committee recommends that a pedestrian overpass now also be
considered as an option for the Waterloo Street pedestrian connection. Conceptually,
the overpass would be an enclosed bridge with lighting that could also be an
architectural feature of the Transit Hub."

Also interesting that they're considering a mixed use trail over King to connect the Bramm Yards
(02-19-2016, 09:04 PM)Lens Wrote: Also interesting that they're considering a mixed us trail over King to connect the Bramm Yards

It would be nice to see an east-west connection that links up to the iron horse. I think I remember reading about that idea on the city's website or maybe it was just on this forum.
I wonder what they consider a canopy?
"Divide the Transit Hub infrastructure into two integrated delivery streams and allocate development responsibility to the most appropriate parties. The first stream would include off-site transit infrastructure in the Metrolinx rail corridor. These off-site components include: The GO/VIA Rail platform and canopy;"

The east-west connection is on Kitchener's master plan from 2012.

I last saw it referenced in the Iron Horse Trail survey as a "primary proposed type 1" trail (whatever that is) but both maps show it north of the tracks not south like in the new site plan.

(02-20-2016, 12:03 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I wonder what they consider a canopy?
"Divide the Transit Hub infrastructure into two integrated delivery streams and allocate development responsibility to the most appropriate parties. The first stream would include off-site transit infrastructure in the Metrolinx rail corridor. These off-site components include: The GO/VIA Rail platform and canopy;"

The east-west connection is on Kitchener's master plan from 2012.

I last saw it referenced in the Iron Horse Trail survey as a "primary proposed type 1" trail (whatever that is) but both maps show it north of the tracks not south like in the new site plan.

My guess is that space north of the tracks needs to be reserved for a second platform and possible third track (if there's room).

You can't expand into the building, so those variables stay on the north side.

Trail users would just have to cross the tracks.
(02-20-2016, 12:03 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The east-west connection is on Kitchener's master plan from 2012.

Thanks for the links!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »