Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SmartCentre development at Hespeler & Pinebush
(06-16-2023, 08:56 PM)myfaceisonfire Wrote: I have never heard the term "uptown cambridge" before, is that new, or am I just out of the loop?

It's a much better branding for a sea of desolate parking lots, but no it's very much a new invention of this apartment salesman
local cambridge weirdo

(06-16-2023, 08:59 PM)bravado Wrote:
(06-16-2023, 08:56 PM)myfaceisonfire Wrote: I have never heard the term "uptown cambridge" before, is that new, or am I just out of the loop?

It's a much better branding for a sea of desolate parking lots, but no it's very much a new invention of this apartment salesman

Maybe the same one who named “The Uptown” at Lexington and Davenport?
Just took a bike ride today to Walmart for some stuff, decided to finally go over and see this place. The website (camby.ca) has a lot more info and floor plans now (and units starting at $1950/mo).

https://camby.ca

Question for the experts: The townhouse community up front is pretty jam-packed and there's no hint of greenspace in any way. How much did this project spend in "new park" fees for the luxury of not having any park nearby at all?

[Image: Ia5CybP.jpg]
[size=1][Image: YYVxgtF.jpg][/size]
[size=1][size=1][Image: qIu3akV.jpg][/size][/size]
[size=1][size=1][size=1][Image: 0j6YsLS.jpg][/size][/size][/size]
[size=1][size=1][size=1][size=1][Image: vxmf2SM.png][/size][/size][/size][/size]
local cambridge weirdo
Stuff like "new park" fees is just a big grift. It'll end up in the city coffers, but don't expect a lot of that money to go to any actual new parks in the direct vicinity. Maybe they've earmarked some of it for a park 5-10 years down the line but it won't be today. The kids will have to play in the unmowed weeds on the boulevard space or Minecraft for now.

Also lol @ the Covid-19 sign. Surprised to see something like that still around...usually the only remnants of that nonsense are the billions of discarded facemasks nobody will ever clean up littering every square meter of the planet now.
I just want to be clear. The pictures and development featured above are in no way related to the SmartCentre redevelopment.

That is the adjacent property and had been under construction for quite some time.
(07-24-2023, 08:16 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: I just want to be clear. The pictures and development featured above are in no way related to the SmartCentre redevelopment.

That is the adjacent property and had been under construction for quite some time.

Yeah, there was no thread about it and it's advanced enough in construction to not really deserve one... The smartcentres development is currently still in radio silence mode and not even posted on their future projects site - despite being utterly massive and getting an MZO.
local cambridge weirdo
This project is not one of the 8 MZO’s on the major shitlist issued today by the Province, but on the “enhanced monitoring” list due to lack of progress in development. And by lack of progress I mean none at all.

Quote:The below housing-related zoning orders are now under enhanced monitoring because they are showing a lack of progress. These sites will potentially be considered for future revocation or amendment, or to add an expiry date in the future if they fail to make substantial progress.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200611

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/10039...-taxpayers
local cambridge weirdo

The current housing minister seems to be doing a lot of cleanup of everything Steve Clark did.
Being awarded an MZO really ought to come with the stipulation that you get to work upon that being granted. That's what drives me nuts about the Victoria and Park development. So much work went into that, it got stalled at council and denied so they went to the province and were granted the MZO and...haven't done anything at all. I realize the economic situation out there had a huge impact but even before that got into full swing, Dov Capital was not making any obvious signs of progress.
(12-14-2023, 04:44 PM)ac3r Wrote: Being awarded an MZO really ought to come with the stipulation that you get to work upon that being granted. That's what drives me nuts about the Victoria and Park development. So much work went into that, it got stalled at council and denied so they went to the province and were granted the MZO and...haven't done anything at all. I realize the economic situation out there had a huge impact but even before that got into full swing, Dov Capital was not making any obvious signs of progress.

The Dov Capital Development didn't get a MZO, it went to the OLT where the city and Dov Capital came to a settlement agreement which involved a reduction in the initial affordable housing donations (2 million before, now 750k) with nothing else changing in the project.
Oh, really? I could have sworn they were awarded an MZO but I must be wrong.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »