Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lower Kitchener (534 Charles St E) | 32, 27, 15 fl | Proposed
(09-24-2020, 12:40 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 11:16 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Why the concern with Vive in particular? Because they have not broken ground on OTIS yet? Or something else?

They have shuffled priorities on some projects (such as the Margaret/Victoria project) but I don't really see massive delays or project cancellations in their recent history. And they have construction under way at both Market Flats and Ophelia. Am I missing something?

The windows on the American block are still no installed. It’ been like that she late winter. WTF?  Also the Marrow Flats gets a wall a week.

There was apparently some kind of virus going around that slowed construction ...

In any case, the last time I got a glance inside the future Tim Hortons (maybe early this month?), they had a major dig going on inside. I don't know why, or whether it was planned or not. But there is still work going on there.

OK, so looking at the link that was posted, I am intrigued by the history. Not saying that the building should be saved, but from a historical standpoint, it’s very fascinating. It certainly doesn’t look like a standard build from 106 years ago. I imagine that it would have looked quite modern when it opened in 1914.
It's interesting to compare it to the Uniroyal plant, which also opened in 1914. There's definitely something about the architecture that evokes a lot of local buildings to me. KCI is much older but the current facade was done in 1922 or '23 if I'm reading the wikipedia page correctly. Victoria school in 1912.
That website on my phone isn't working well. Drop down menu not doing anything.
(09-24-2020, 03:06 PM)Momo26 Wrote: That website on my phone isn't working well. Drop down menu not doing anything.

The drop-down doesn't work on the desktop, either. Use the links at the bottom instead.
(09-23-2020, 02:22 PM)panamaniac Wrote: In any event, Kitchener's track record gives a pretty clear indication of the likely outcome.

It'll accidentally burn down?
(09-25-2020, 10:20 AM)kps Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 02:22 PM)panamaniac Wrote: In any event, Kitchener's track record gives a pretty clear indication of the likely outcome.

It'll accidentally burn down?

Or burst water pipes. It will be one or the other.

(09-24-2020, 11:16 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 10:08 AM)Spokes Wrote: Unfortunately my first thoughts.  I hope we're wrong.

Why the concern with Vive in particular? Because they have not broken ground on OTIS yet? Or something else?

They have shuffled priorities on some projects (such as the Margaret/Victoria project) but I don't really see massive delays or project cancellations in their recent history. And they have construction under way at both Market Flats and Ophelia. Am I missing something?

They just seem to have their hands in a ton of different pots with none of them making significant progress.  I just worry they're not big enough to handle so many projects and will be spread to thin
Vive does have a lot of projects completed, but most are just bare bones reimagined spaces that already existed...they renovate rather than develop. I think the only thing brand new they've started is 388 King.

A friend of mine works for them and said that they are really hoping they can get this project built, because they've always had their eyes on this part of the city. 388 King and the company offices are located nearby, which they've long described as being in the "gateway" to downtown, so who knows...maybe, but I am imagining it could take a while.
(09-30-2020, 02:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Vive does have a lot of projects completed, but most are just bare bones reimagined spaces that already existed...they renovate rather than develop. I think the only thing brand new they've started is 388 King.

That and 242 Queen St S. Yes, the rest have been various levels of renovations of existing buildings.
(09-30-2020, 02:40 PM)ac3r Wrote: Vive does have a lot of projects completed, but most are just bare bones reimagined spaces that already existed...they renovate rather than develop. I think the only thing brand new they've started is 388 King.

A friend of mine works for them and said that they are really hoping they can get this project built, because they've always had their eyes on this part of the city. 388 King and the company offices are located nearby, which they've long described as being in the "gateway" to downtown, so who knows...maybe, but I am imagining it could take a while.

The block in question is only a fraction of the area that's ripe for redevelopment in that end of town.
Would be great if we had a built up area from Ottawa to Wellington.
(09-23-2020, 11:18 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Does the proposal preserve the heritage elements of the Onward Mfg building?

My first thought on reading the article was "Yay, its going to go!"

(09-24-2020, 12:35 PM)creative Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 06:43 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I have always liked that building but really think of it as underutilized. If renovated I think it could be a star.
That building was originally built for Onward Manufacturing. If you go to https://www.omcbbq.com/onward-story.html and click on 1964 in the timeline you will see a photo of the building. I have no luck uploading photos from my phone.

Thanks for that link, it certainly makes me appreciate it more. I always think of the Charles St side as that's the street I walked/biked all the time as a kid, but from the King St side it has got some charm.
(09-23-2020, 02:22 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 11:53 AM)ac3r Wrote: This is so true. I can't think of any worse way to approach downtown Kitchener than to go from this end of the city. Both Ottawa and King are arterial roads that feed people in from South Kitchener and Cambridge as well as the highways. I can see this project getting approval with few problems. It's similar to what the area getting developed around Victoria and King is like: old industry, parking that rarely gets used, grass lots, disused buildings. This proposal, combined with the Schneiders project, could really start to transform this area. There is so much land between Mill Station and Borden Station that would be great for developing over the years. With the golf course, Rockway Gardens, Kaufman Park and Iron Horse Trail bordering it all, it could be completely transformed.

(09-23-2020, 12:19 PM)Acitta Wrote: Seriously? It is an ugly old building. What heritage value does it have? Why do people want to keep ugly old buildings and call it "heritage"? I was dismayed by the commotion that occurred over the old shirt factory in the centre block. Does anybody miss it now? The Mayfair had heritage value, but what has replaced it is much better and I certainly don't miss it. Anyhow, the article clearly states that the developer wants to demolish the building.

(09-23-2020, 12:38 PM)DK519 Wrote: It IS a non-designated heritage property which (from the city's website) means:

Once a property is on the register, local planning decisions can be affected in a couple of ways:
  • The municipality would have more time to process demolition applications made under the Ontario Building Code. Typically, a demolition application must be processed within 10 business days; in the case of a non-designated property, the municipality would have 60 business days - a sufficient amount of time to determine if the property should be protected under the Ontario Heritage Act. If protection is deemed to be warranted, a separate formal legal process would be required.
  • Planning Act applications, such as site plans and plans of subdivision, may need to be accompanied by a heritage impact assessment and/or conservation plan.

So, yea, you're right that they intend to demolish it but how much trouble they run into doing that remains to be seen.

How did you conclude that they intend to demolish it?  The material posted only indicates that they COULD, potentially, demolish it.  In any event, Kitchener's track record gives a pretty clear indication of the likely outcome.

I believe the only old part on that building is the central tower. There were similar concrete "bunker like wings" on either side. The current configuration is a new reno or build. I think they were constructed back in the 70's. I can't put specific dates to the new sections.
"I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »