Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WRPS
CBC KW quoted Bryan Larkin who said that the design cost $1500 plus an additional $500 per cruiser which I think refers to the cost of the actual decal.

Cruiser or Card
(04-10-2021, 01:13 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 10:34 AM)ac3r Wrote: WRPS is finally getting rid of that wretched "diversity cruiser" they thought would have been a great success: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5982122

"We're sorry that some were offended"...I.e., they don't think they did anything wrong, and are annoyed that people don't like their cruiser.

"We're cancelling the project [good] and will continue our diversity project as before." I.e., they are cancelling because of public pressure, but don't acknowledge that it was a mistake, nor do they question or change the process that led them to make that non-mistake.

They aren't ready for change, and that isn't even remotely a surprise, and why should they, nobody has made it clear to them that change is coming or necessary. Our electeds have utterly failed to do so. Not even one voted against the budget...

Bolded for truth.

It should never be a crime if anyone someone isn't white. Rather than decorate police vehicles, perhaps put that money where your mouth is. Talk is cheap. Show action. Show those in that community that you're not the enemy. Don't do random stops of people of colour. Just don't.
(04-12-2021, 08:42 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I don't know much about the history of police in Pride, but given that they were excluded from the parade in the past, I'm guessing not all LGBTQ community feel good about police, but even if they did, the pride cruiser is something that we're seeing in the late 2010s, and if I understand correctly, that's decades after it came to light the harm the police did to the LGBTQ community. I suspect a pride cruiser would not have been well received in the 80s and 90s.

Ultimately, the thing that bugs me the most about this is this is money that could have been spent in our community on things which might actually solve our problems. Instead the police are siphoning away the plurality of our budget and leaving us without needed services. In a time when major crimes are at historic lows, but which police are being asked to take over more and more duties in our community as a result of disinvestment in our social supports, and using that to justify an ever inflating budget.

Thanks for your post, there are issues I wasn't aware of, and views (other than my own) are important.

You are absolutely right... not all the LGBTQ2+ community feel good about police. But you could also say not all the Caucasian community feel good about the police. [Thank you @jamincan for sharing your opinion, something I can sympathize, but not empathize]

Stating this is money that can be shared in the community is a "fearmongering" (? - I know its not the right word, but its the closest I can think of) comment tho. The vehicles are all wrapped with the white doors and striping all stuck on a plain blue vehicle. They were getting decals anyway, so the actual application didn't cost us more. The preparation of the artwork obviously had cost, but that money is minimal in impact. Our government at all levels waste so much more on so much less than this, and no one bats an eye.

Coke
*sigh*...

Why does WRPS need a tank?

https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...n_anybody/

When's the last time they dealt with criminals who were equipped with armored vehicles?

What the fuck is wrong with our politicians?!
It's really not a tank, or even an AFV. It's an armoured SUV. So, it won't destroy anything, all it does is keeps its occupants safer than a normal SUV in a shooter situation -- which, alas, do occur sometime in Ontario. This is not the same as US police departments using ex-US Army gear.

I believe there are only a handful of designated police services in Ontario that have these, one each, for those times when a full SWAT team is required.

Not defending such purchases, just providing details on what it is ...
I mean, sure, I'm being hyperbolic with "tank"...but if the police get to be hyperbolic...so do I.

The Reddit thread you linked has a poster explaining that WRPS operates one of four regional SWAT teams across the province (besides London, Toronto, and Ottawa). Apparently it's standard issue for that. I presume they get provincial funding so they can respond outside Waterloo Region?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.6904861

WRPS at it again, another 6-8% ask.

It's funny, this year, with inflation, it's probably more reasonable than previous years, but since they've already burned most of their good will, this year there is a chance they'll slapped back--although it won't be the police committee to do it I'm sure.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »