Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
(02-01-2021, 11:49 PM)Spokes Wrote: Am I remembering this property wrong, or is it really small?  Like it feels like too small for this.

The website says it's ~25k sq ft, which is a little over half an acre. I think that's about the same size as the 1 Victoria site, and a little bigger than the Charlie West site.

(02-02-2021, 01:54 AM)taylortbb Wrote: The website says it's ~25k sq ft, which is a little over half an acre. I think that's about the same size as the 1 Victoria site, and a little bigger than the Charlie West site.

Looks like it's almost exactly the same size as 1 Victoria

(02-02-2021, 11:02 AM)EdM Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 01:54 AM)taylortbb Wrote: The website says it's ~25k sq ft, which is a little over half an acre. I think that's about the same size as the 1 Victoria site, and a little bigger than the Charlie West site.

Looks like it's almost exactly the same size as 1 Victoria

That pic reminds me that I'd like to see the Ziggy's building torn down someday in order to expand Francis Green.
Ziggy's will likely not be around in the future. :>

The city is verrrrryy interested in this side of the city. There is so much potential and they're planning it based around the intermodal transit station. Expect to see a lot of stuff here as time goes on. I can't spoil specifics because, well, you know how it goes. But this entire area is ripe for new development
(02-02-2021, 04:58 PM)ac3r Wrote: Ziggy's will likely not be around in the future. :>

The city is verrrrryy interested in this side of the city. There is so much potential and they're planning it based around the intermodal transit station. Expect to see a lot of stuff here as time goes on. I can't spoil specifics because, well, you know how it goes. But this entire area is ripe for new development
Hopefully the same goes for U-Haul?  Wonder if they own their location? Nice earner for them if they do.
(02-02-2021, 06:11 PM)GarthDanlor Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 04:58 PM)ac3r Wrote: Ziggy's will likely not be around in the future. :>

Hopefully the same goes for U-Haul?  Wonder if they own their location? Nice earner for them if they do.

I am sure they do.
(02-02-2021, 06:11 PM)GarthDanlor Wrote:

U-Haul is one thing keeping me from even thinking of moving to DTK. It would be nice if they move a little further away from King St.

(02-02-2021, 10:37 PM)jeffster Wrote: U-Haul is one thing keeping me from even thinking of moving to DTK. It would be nice if they move a little further away from King St.

Huh The U-Haul really isn’t that bad. Oh well, more for the rest of us I guess (although for myself I’m happy in Uptown Waterloo).
(02-02-2021, 10:37 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 06:11 PM)GarthDanlor Wrote: Hopefully the same goes for U-Haul?  Wonder if they own their location? Nice earner for them if they do.

U-Haul is one thing keeping me from even thinking of moving to DTK. It would be nice if they move a little further away from King St.
The irony is that U-haul actually provides a valued service in the downtown.  Many people and businesses utilize the storage locker service they provide....  People who live in Condos sometimes require more storage than their building provides so having storage lockers so close is an assest.
(02-03-2021, 10:48 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 10:37 PM)jeffster Wrote: U-Haul is one thing keeping me from even thinking of moving to DTK. It would be nice if they move a little further away from King St.

The irony is that U-haul actually provides a valued service in the downtown.  Many people and businesses utilize the storage locker service they provide....  People who live in Condos sometimes require more storage than their building provides so having storage lockers so close is an assest.

Quite. Although there is also another (bigger?) self-storage facility at Queen St S and Woodside, but it's certainly not as convenient for people living near King and Victoria.
I do agree though that that is prime redevelopment land and U-Haul should start looking for and develop a new location, with a new build. I am sure a new build would be much more energy efficient as well.
(02-03-2021, 10:48 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:

They do, and I have used that location at least 3 or 4 times. It just sucks that it's at the north (west?) entry point for DTK. That's all. You're coming north (or east, or west, or whatever) from Waterloo, you see the u-haul, it's the Welcome to Downtown Kitchener sign.
(02-03-2021, 02:42 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 10:48 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: The irony is that U-haul actually provides a valued service in the downtown.  Many people and businesses utilize the storage locker service they provide....  People who live in Condos sometimes require more storage than their building provides so having storage lockers so close is an assest.

They do, and I have used that location at least 3 or 4 times. It just sucks that it's at the north (west?) entry point for DTK. That's all. You're coming north (or east, or west, or whatever) from Waterloo, you see the u-haul, it's the Welcome to Downtown Kitchener sign.

But it's after Google, (soon) Station Park, (soon) Transit Hub and the pharmacy building. More or less hidden behind 1 Victoria, unl;ess you are looking for it. Even arriving from (Kitchener) south, you will first see the McIntosh laundry building, the Glove Box, 100 Victoria/Garment St and the renovated factories with D2L and Deloitte.

It's there for now, but I personally don't see it as a big deal. When the time is right, the owners will either sell it or develop it.

I've stumbled upon enough U-Hauls in downtown areas of major US cities to think that they aren't going anywhere. If anything they should try and expand and fix the place up a little. Why leave when you have more customers coming into your yard?

Citing Uhaul as a reason to not move into DTK is first for me. Most unique reason I've heard for not wanting to move. Not saying it's wrong, reasons are reasons and we all have to decide based on factors important to us.

I love Ziggy's. I hope they never move. Maybe they can build some office or living space on that spot and maintain their street front retail presence if they are under any pressure for their property.
They should purpose build the whole main floor of this building for Ziggy's and have them move next door. Then they should do a building in the current Ziggy's location with the main floor purpose built for the uhaul. Then move them, then build a new building at uhaul. Genius.

I dont think the uhaul as a business is that bad of a location, I think people dont like it because it is unattractive. You could make a new building with extra tall main floor parking garage so uhaul trucks fit there, storage lockers on level 2-5, maybe another retail shop beside the uhaul store, apartments in the tower above... not the worst thing right?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »