Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
TEK Tower (30 Francis) | 45 fl | U/C
I really hope they don't end up closing Francis street for this project...

Yup, going off the top of my head here but there's another project planned at the Ziggy's location though I forget who is considering developing it (the park should remain, naturally).
I really hoped the City would acquire Ziggys, to expand Francis Green.
Did Ziggys own the building? I hope they will remain downtown.
(05-06-2022, 04:39 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Did Ziggys own the building? I hope they will remain downtown.

There is plenty of retail condo/rental space available. For example, the space at 271 Lofts at the corner of King and Water (next to Marche Leo) should work for them.
Was inevitable that Ziggy's would go, but sad nonetheless. I also hope the remain downtown, one of the few sites I was not eager to see go.
How long until UHaul packs up?

(05-11-2022, 09:59 PM)KevinL Wrote: How long until UHaul packs up?

Well they just installed a big new canopy over the pickup location, so not sensing they are in a rush out. Should be the last out if the business is booming with all the movers!

Why would they ever move when so many customers are moving to them? If anything they should expand their self store capacity.
(05-12-2022, 08:53 AM)Chris Wrote:

Why would they ever move when so many customers are moving to them? If anything they should expand their self store capacity.

I mean they’d need to evaluate whether the increase in customer traffic provides a greater present value than the significant appreciation of their land value. I have no idea who owns the land whether it’s UHaul or a franchisee, but if it’s somehow a franchisee who is looking to retire this could be the perfect time for them to cash out.
I doubt the U-Haul would move anytime soon. Our urban cores are growing at an unprecedented rate so that U-Haul is surely doing good business.
Small update.

Looks like the water table work might be done? Construction fence going up this morning.
Has anyone been by here recently? If so is there any action? I still don’t see a permit issued to start digging.

https://opendata-city-of-waterloo.openda...75%2C16.37

https://onlinepermits.kitchener.ca/porta...space=test shows the permit as applied for, but not issued yet. Haven't been by recently but have seen some activity, so I expect they're expecting approval soon and are currently preparing the site.
There were some workers installing valves of some sort, there's a line of 5-6 running from Francis to U-Haul. No idea what it's for, should have snapped a photo.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »