Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
900 King St W | 25 fl | U/C
This was approved at council last night
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...ntown.html

It looks like the entire pit has already been excavated
(03-22-2022, 09:24 AM)jshamont Wrote: This was approved at council last night
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...ntown.html

Danged NIMBYs!  ...
Anyone remember roughly how long it's been in this state? What are they waiting for?

It looks like the permit is still pending.

“ Permit is for a 25 storey multi use building (3 storey podium comprised of commercial on the ground floor, parking on 2nd floor, hospital foundation on 3rd floor and 22 storey residential), including 2 levels of underground parking.”

https://onlinepermits.kitchener.ca/portal/sfjsp
(02-05-2023, 09:37 PM)CuilTard Wrote: Anyone remember roughly how long it's been in this state? What are they waiting for?

They began digging October 2021 to do shoring on one side of the property. Not sure what the hold up is for, though, since this was approved in March 2022.
Inserted the first attachment into the post to show the difference -- the whole image is now visible regardless of the reader's screen size.

Updated the OP with the newest rendering.
This is to begin construction soon. Promotional signage, a site office and some storage containers are on site. They'll just need to finish excavation.
(02-25-2023, 11:08 AM)ac3r Wrote: This is to begin construction soon. Promotional signage, a site office and some storage containers are on site. They'll just need to finish excavation.

I had noticed last week that they had a crew onsite doing stuff. Looks like to be another busy summer.
Groundbreaking: https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/statu...14976?s=20
Cringe.
(02-27-2023, 08:28 PM)ac3r Wrote: Cringe.

Since Redman is in that picture, I am assuming there must be a lot of affordable units in this building.

I can't recall, though, too many times that politicians attending a ground breaking ceremony for something like this. So it is kinda cringe.

Wasn't this the building that was going to provide some suites for families who needed to be near their relatives at Grand River Hospital?
Correct. The developer was considering partnering with the Grand River Hospital Foundation to potentially include 13 hotel rooms who could rent to families of very long term patients.

It is an interesting idea but I am unsure how realistic the proposal would have been. Does anyone know if the final approval included this? In any case I wouldn't be surprised if it was cancelled since this is an acute care hospital for the most part. The only real semi-long term care units there are some in the medicine, oncology and maybe a few in mental health who need to be in the PICU but they aren't there that long anyway. Plus with the announcement of GRH planning a new major regional hospital in the near further while transforming this one into an even more acute focused hospital, I would think the developers would just cancel the idea and put in some extra regular rental units.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »