Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
City Centre/Young Condominiums | 17, 25 & 6 fl | U/C
(10-28-2020, 10:09 AM)Momo26 Wrote: That would be amazing - seeing a H&M or a Best buy or both, creating a Toronto downtown-eque Queen St. Vibe. Sadly, you would need like 10+ shops to come close. They CAN be 'ma and pa', it's just harder to get folks in. What was that one cool clothing store where I think Wine Rack is currently? I think urban clothing after that too, but alas did not survive...

Also, what I'm thinking, is we aim for a look such as Lakeshore in Oakville. We dont have the major pull of the Lake obv but something like a Lululemon would do wonders with draw. We have the Starbucks now, we have a few great restos - need a few more - the City should entice and attract some big name stores. Above Starbucks could have gone an Anthropology or it could be placed downstairs here in this condo...

We are getting cannabis but quite frankly - and this is not a commentary on marijuana - I would have liked to see something other than more drugs and more booze in DTK.
Agreed! I remember when EngageWR had the Downtown shopping survey I made the point that DTK needs to attract major retailers to take a chance at an urban format of there stores. Like you would find in other major urban centres around Canada. Lakeshore in Oakville is a great example of this. Unfortunately previous planning principles and zoning has allowed the suburbs to attract all of these types of retails to car oriented plazas or malls. Which I personally have no interest in travelling to. I will just shop online instead of heading to conestoga mall, boardwalk or fairway.

(10-27-2020, 04:14 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 03:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Does Zehrs do urban format?  Is there space for loading docks at the back?
Surely the ground floor space can be/will be subdivided into smaller units?

Zehrs is owned by loblaws, which has a few urban format stores. I would assume if Loblaws chose to set up an urban store DTK it would use the Zehrs branding as that is a locally known name.

A few years back, I talked to the owner of 165 King St W. He had really wanted to get an urban grocer for his building, but both the major chains (Sobeys and Loblaws) told him that there were not enough people downtown yet, they wanted to see maybe another 10,000 people living downtown if I remember correctly.
Sobeys was to be a tenant (or was at least in serious talks) at the now shelved Manulife twin towers at Charles and Francis, so I think there is interest in a national franchise store in DTK, likey even more nowadays
(10-28-2020, 10:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 10:37 PM)jeffster Wrote: I wonder if they'd consider a 2nd Farm Boy in Kitchener to put at that location. Or Dutchies? As other mentioned, a urban Zehrs would work too. I think we're a long way from getting places like BestBuy or H&M in DTK. Maybe 5 years from now when we have thousands more living in the core. The Core...gives me an idea for a cheesy movie night.

I'm not sure where I'd put it, but I'm surprised that Farm Boy hasn't opened a location in Waterloo.  Is the one in Kitchener doing well?  Ottawa loves its Farm Boys!

It's always been busy whenever I go. Mind you, it doesn't need to have a lot of people in there to look "busy", as it's small for a grocery store. They do have some pricy items, but I do think a downtown location could do well, once people are settled into DTK, Charlie West, Station Park, Drewlo, City Centre, maybe 100 and Garment as well.
I just saw an advertisement on Facebook saying that 2 additional stories are being added. If I understood correctly they will all be Penthouse units.
(12-03-2020, 02:53 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I just saw an advertisement on Facebook saying that 2 additional stories are being added. If I understood correctly they will all be Penthouse units.

Interesting -- I was going to look for the Garment Street Condo regarding their 25-storey height, as the construction company had commented yesterday, 16 down, 11 to go, which means Garment Street has gone from 25 to 27.

That would be amazing if both are expanding.
Both have indeed been expanded by a couple floors. They're really going to impact the skyline in a great way.

(12-03-2020, 02:53 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I just saw an advertisement on Facebook saying that 2 additional stories are being added. If I understood correctly they will all be Penthouse units.

Two stories of "penthouses".  Gawd, I love what real estate does to the language!
So if you've already purchased a unit at the TOP floor because you specifically want to be at the 'top' (and often penthouse or penthouse style) it's usual practice to keep those buyers to stay at the top floor, selling the next down (or next 2 in this case)...

I'm not sure this is actually additional floors, or just that they're releasing held back floors. The permits in the city database are for a 24 storey tower originally, and then for an addition to make it a 25 storey building. There's no application for anything else currently.

The floor plans on their website all stop at floor 23. So they may have just held back floors 24/25, and now offering them for sale. The wording on https://www.instagram.com/p/CITW-05gqUp/ is kind of ambiguous.

(12-03-2020, 11:34 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Two stories of "penthouses".  Gawd, I love what real estate does to the language!

To be fair, I'm not sure we really have a term for "larger fancy unit near top of building". Technically penthouse just means top floor, and can be exactly identical to the layout on the lower floors, but it typically means "large fancy unit at top of building" which is really close to the desired meaning. If your building has layout A on floors 2-25, and then layout B (consisting of large fancy units) on floors 26-27, penthouse is the closest thing we have to a term for the layout of floor 26.
(12-03-2020, 01:24 PM)7taylortbb Wrote:

I'm not sure this is actually additional floors, or just that they're releasing held back floors. The permits in the city database are for a 24 storey tower originally, and then for an addition to make it a 25 storey building. There's no application for anything else currently.

The floor plans on their website all stop at floor 23. So they may have just held back floors 24/25, and now offering them for sale. The wording on https://www.instagram.com/p/CITW-05gqUp/ is kind of ambiguous.

(12-03-2020, 11:34 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Two stories of "penthouses".  Gawd, I love what real estate does to the language!

To be fair, I'm not sure we really have a term for "larger fancy unit near top of building". Technically penthouse just means top floor, and can be exactly identical to the layout on the lower floors, but it typically means "large fancy unit at top of building" which is really close to the desired meaning. If your building has layout A on floors 2-25, and then layout B (consisting of large fancy units) on floors 26-27, penthouse is the closest thing we have to a term for the layout of floor 26.
Well, there’s “apartment”, but we won’t see that in any ads.
City Centre -- and Charlie West.

Current state as of mid-January.

Any sign of work starting on the Jack Burger when you were there?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »