Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 federal election
(08-29-2021, 10:14 AM)Bytor Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 06:16 PM)taylortbb Wrote: It is about demand though. A shockingly large number of people consider anything other than a SFH unacceptable for raising a family, and won't be satisfied until they own one.

And most native-born Canadians haven't ever lived in a world where anything else is possible. The reason they only think of SFH is because they only two options that have been open to them are that and small, city centre condos. Kinda like the same way they cannot contemplate getting around town in any way other than using a car. It's hard to comprehend something that you don't even know about.

I don't disagree, but I think you kind of gloss over the difficulty in convincing people that their lifelong belief is wrong.

In the context of politics, it remains political suicide to be honest about this topic. Not because people wouldn't adapt, but because people don't want to adapt.

(08-29-2021, 01:09 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 10:14 AM)Bytor Wrote: And most native-born Canadians haven't ever lived in a world where anything else is possible. The reason they only think of SFH is because they only two options that have been open to them are that and small, city centre condos. Kinda like the same way they cannot contemplate getting around town in any way other than using a car. It's hard to comprehend something that you don't even know about.

I don't disagree, but I think you kind of gloss over the difficulty in convincing people that their lifelong belief is wrong.

In the context of politics, it remains political suicide to be honest about this topic. Not because people wouldn't adapt, but because people don't want to adapt.

There is a big challenge here, but the first step is to actually lead.
(08-29-2021, 01:09 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 10:14 AM)Bytor Wrote: And most native-born Canadians haven't ever lived in a world where anything else is possible. The reason they only think of SFH is because they only two options that have been open to them are that and small, city centre condos. Kinda like the same way they cannot contemplate getting around town in any way other than using a car. It's hard to comprehend something that you don't even know about.

It’s not clear to me that all that much actual “convincing” is really required. If it were legal, one can imagine a developer putting up a block of townhouses where they now put detached homes. They can fit maybe 10% more houses in the same space just by losing the side yards. Realistically, given the choice of two very similar houses, where they have to pay more for one in order to get useless side yards, people may convince themselves that the townhouse is actually totally fine.

Similarly, if a developer buys 2 adjacent somewhat run-down houses, they can probably put in 3-4 units as a block of townhouses. Those will sell just fine, as long as they are actually permitted to be built.

There is a huge gain here from just stopping prevention of options. Basically, planners just have to stop pretending that they know how housing should be laid out. Whether we need to do more (e.g., explicitly restricting detached homes in some way) is another question, but how to start is an absolute no-brainer.
Trudeau says he won't back down after protesters hurl death threats, racist and sexist slurs (CBC)

Quote:For the second time in a week, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has had a campaign event disrupted by protesters shouting obscenities, uttering death threats against the prime minister and hurling racist and misogynist insults at people of colour and women in his protective detail.

While making a stump speech to promote his party's climate change policies in Cambridge, Ont., Sunday morning, the Liberals were forced to delay Trudeau's appearance for an hour because of the disruptions. 

Signs brandished by angry protesters displayed slogans such as "Who benefits from the lock down?" and the "Liberals ruined the country," with one protester shouting through a megaphone decked out with the name; "InfoWars," a U.S.-based far-right conspiracy theory website. 

When the event did start, it was disrupted by honking horns and foul and threatening language hurled from a crowd of people -- almost all of whom were unmasked and were not maintaining physical distance from one another. 
They were shouting "lock him up" at the event in Cambridge yesterday. Trumpism is, sadly, infecting the minds of Canadians.
(08-30-2021, 10:08 AM)ac3r Wrote: They were shouting "lock him up" at the event in Cambridge yesterday. Trumpism is, sadly, infecting the minds of Canadians.

There was also a photoshopped picture of putting Trudeau in a noose.

https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status...4089128960
(08-30-2021, 10:08 AM)ac3r Wrote: They were shouting "lock him up" at the event in Cambridge yesterday. Trumpism is, sadly, infecting the minds of Canadians.

I don't like Trudeau either (and don't plan on voting Liberal, just haven't decided what alternative yet) but this stuff just makes their view look bad. I believe that O'Toole has condemned this, which he should. This type of behavour does not belong in this country.

Candidates of the 2021 Canadian federal election
(08-30-2021, 11:33 AM)Bytor Wrote:

There was also a photoshopped picture of putting Trudeau in a noose.

https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status...4089128960

Lol...must have been their first time using Photoshop. That looks horrible.
Any tips on what to do with an unwanted lawn sign that was placed in my yard? I have removed it, spoken to the candidate twice and have been told it would be picked up but it's still here. I now have it curbside for garbage collection, will they take it away?

Edit:It seems telling them you've put it at the curb may be the secret. We'll see if they actually come. Third times a charm, right?
Which party put it up?
(09-03-2021, 11:10 AM)jamincan Wrote: Which party put it up?

Conservatives. I went out my front door last weekend and found it on my lawn with a letter in my mailbox thanking us. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake, but we own our home and didn't (and wouldn't) request it.
(09-03-2021, 11:18 AM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 11:10 AM)jamincan Wrote: Which party put it up?

Conservatives. I went out my front door last weekend and found it on my lawn with a letter in my mailbox thanking us. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake, but we own our home and didn't (and wouldn't) request it.

Yeah, that's pretty bad behaviour by a campaign.

I've heard of this behaviour from the NDP campaign although they chose not to name the offender, so I don't know if it was also Conservatives, but frankly, this behaviour matches their values, and I'm so fucking sick of it.

I think if you throw it in the trash, it'll go with the trash...but keep the wire stand, they're great for planters Tongue.

Meanwhile I can't even get NDP to deliver me a sign or answer me about getting one lol.
On the flip side - Mike Morrice had his signs out before I read the news that GG dissolved parliament.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »