Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 federal election
(09-03-2021, 12:36 PM)ac3r Wrote: Meanwhile I can't even get NDP to deliver me a sign or answer me about getting one lol.

There really are very few NDP signs out there (although even fewer CPC signs). I suspect Morrice had his organization ready to go the moment the writ was dropped, while some of the other parties got caught with their pants down.

(09-03-2021, 01:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 12:36 PM)ac3r Wrote: Meanwhile I can't even get NDP to deliver me a sign or answer me about getting one lol.

There really are very few NDP signs out there (although even fewer CPC signs). I suspect Morrice had his organization ready to go the moment the writ was dropped, while some of the other parties got caught with their pants down.

He also had signs saved from last election, which I think is a great idea, why not reuse.

That being said, I really want to vote Green and I think Mike is a great candidate. But MY GOD could they implode any harder?
(09-03-2021, 02:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 01:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There really are very few NDP signs out there (although even fewer CPC signs). I suspect Morrice had his organization ready to go the moment the writ was dropped, while some of the other parties got caught with their pants down.

He also had signs saved from last election, which I think is a great idea, why not reuse.

That being said, I really want to vote Green and I think Mike is a great candidate. But MY GOD could they implode any harder?

Does the situation with party leadership really matter? The reality is that you'd be voting for Mike Morrice, and he happens to be affiliated with the Green Party. With more major parties, it is plausible to control their caucus, because the MP benefits by having their wagon hitched to the party. With the Green Party, the dynamic is reversed - the Green Party benefits more having their wagon hitched to an MP, which means the power dynamic is also different.
Any sense of what/how much impact the allegations against Saini are having in K Centre?
(09-03-2021, 05:18 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 02:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: He also had signs saved from last election, which I think is a great idea, why not reuse.

Does the situation with party leadership really matter? The reality is that you'd be voting for Mike Morrice, and he happens to be affiliated with the Green Party. With more major parties, it is plausible to control their caucus, because the MP benefits by having their wagon hitched to the party. With the Green Party, the dynamic is reversed - the Green Party benefits more having their wagon hitched to an MP, which means the power dynamic is also different.

It affects his chances of winning. There are plenty of people who care more about parties and don't meet candidates all that much, Green imploding like this makes it much harder for Mike to win.

And ultimately, I am voting for both a party and a candidate. Even if I really like the PC candidate, I'd never vote for them because of the party they represent.
Sign is gone! No idea if it was picked up by the garbage truck or the candidate, but it's not my problem anymore.
(09-03-2021, 06:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And ultimately, I am voting for both a party and a candidate. Even if I really like the PC candidate, I'd never vote for them because of the party they represent.

If only there was a system where you could vote separately for a party and a candidate. (This does change the power dynamic between the party and the candidates in ways that aren't great, but has more benefits overall I think.)

(09-03-2021, 05:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Any sense of what/how much impact the allegations against Saini are having in K Centre?

I doubt we'll know until election day. Brian Doucet did tweet that he saw Saini signs had come down in his neighbourhood, but I'm not observant enough to corroborate or dispute that.

https://twitter.com/bmdoucet/status/1433464414741671937
(09-03-2021, 06:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 05:18 PM)jamincan Wrote: Does the situation with party leadership really matter? The reality is that you'd be voting for Mike Morrice, and he happens to be affiliated with the Green Party. With more major parties, it is plausible to control their caucus, because the MP benefits by having their wagon hitched to the party. With the Green Party, the dynamic is reversed - the Green Party benefits more having their wagon hitched to an MP, which means the power dynamic is also different.

It affects his chances of winning. There are plenty of people who care more about parties and don't meet candidates all that much, Green imploding like this makes it much harder for Mike to win.

And ultimately, I am voting for both a party and a candidate. Even if I really like the PC candidate, I'd never vote for them because of the party they represent.

I personally like having a Green voice in parliament. It'll be a small voice, maybe two or three MPs at the most (and likely no seat for the party leader), but it's still a voice. And in a minority government scenario (most likely outcome at this point) it certainly can have an impact.

I think I may not have voted Green before this ...
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics...e-regions/

Interesting article in the Globe today, seems the rest of the country is starting to notice the transformation of Waterloo Region. I don't think any of it will be news to those here, but for it to appear in national media is interesting.
And Saini is dropping out of the race. It will now be a VERY interesting riding...
(09-04-2021, 04:12 PM)JoeKW Wrote: And Saini is dropping out of the race.  It will now be a VERY interesting riding...

I can't see CPC picking up all that many of those votes, so I think it'll be tight fight between Morrice and Zubi now.
(09-04-2021, 11:19 AM)taylortbb Wrote: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics...e-regions/

Interesting article in the Globe today, seems the rest of the country is starting to notice the transformation of Waterloo Region. I don't think any of it will be news to those here, but for it to appear in national media is interesting.

I was thinking about posting that article, though not in the political section. Very interesting article though. Things sure have changed around here.

(09-04-2021, 04:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-04-2021, 04:12 PM)JoeKW Wrote: And Saini is dropping out of the race.  It will now be a VERY interesting riding...

I can't see CPC picking up all that many of those votes, so I think it'll be tight fight between Morrice and Zubi now.

Morris for sure, though it could still trend CPC.

I don't recall a time when the two main parties in Canada didn't have MP's for each of their ridings, but now, it seems that both CPC and Liberal have 337 out of 338.
(09-04-2021, 04:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

It will be interesting to see how many people vote for Saini anyway.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »