Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
22 Weber Street West | 15 fl | Proposed
It's an odd design, but it's not totally offensive. Hopefully this gets approved since it has a lot of units and it could help make Weber Street feel less awful.

Will certainly take it over more pre-fab concrete blocks!
(01-25-2022, 09:39 AM)ac3r Wrote: It's an odd design, but it's not totally offensive. Hopefully this gets approved since it has a lot of units and it could help make Weber Street feel less awful.

I've learned that living on busy streets like Weber is kind of awful, not necessarily because of the buildings, but because of the constant traffic noise... hard to design around that.
Well, yeah, obviously a single building won't change the awful traffic/4 lanes...urban planning doesn't work like that, but adding more people, retail and recreational things overtime improves it. 10-15+ years ago, you only went downtown to buy methamphetamine or to get into bar fights etc, but now it's a more diverse place. Now, you can buy weed on every corner...lol.

It is still just - for the most part - a weird mix of drug addicts and yuppies too afraid to leave their condos unless they're in a car, but now the streets and shops around the area are more diverse which shows that every project that is approved/finished adds more life to the downtown. Can't complain about that. With time, street activity will be more passive and they'll be more friendly - parks, planters, seats, benches (though it would be great if we could cease using hostile architecture to prevent the homeless from having a bench to sleep on), buskers, events, sellers etc.

As for the residents complaining about this, who have signs in their front yards in opposition, they can go **** **********.
Not too bad. Curious what the side looks like. The front is good though.
An City-led electronic Neighbourhood Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 3, 2022 at 7:00pm – to attend please go to www.zoom.us/join and enter Meeting ID 881 5785 3655
can you remind us closer please... I will log on.

If you want to speak and make your case, you should contact them now to get on the list.
(02-17-2022, 11:13 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: An City-led electronic Neighbourhood Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 3, 2022 at 7:00pm – to attend please go to www.zoom.us/join and enter Meeting ID 881 5785 3655
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...hrise.html

22 Weber St. W.

Reposting as I put it in the wrong thread first….but in a move that surprises no one...the heritage committee recommends conserving a parking lot--obviously the heart of our community.
Wow thank god. I was worried they'd get rid of it. The preservation of not only the warped and cracked asphalt, but those invasive species of weeds and the used syringes as well needs to be paramount if we're to build a vibrant community that respects our heritage. If people want to build apartment buildings, like, hello? Buy some farmland and pave over it but please don't disregard the architectural, cultural and historical heritage value of abandoned parking lots next time. I thank the heritage committee for another W.
🤣 that made my day. Thanks for the laugh
(08-04-2022, 03:26 AM)ac3r Wrote: Wow thank god. I was worried they'd get rid of it. The preservation of not only the warped and cracked asphalt, but those invasive species of weeds and the used syringes as well needs to be paramount if we're to build a vibrant community that respects our heritage. If people want to build apartment buildings, like, hello? Buy some farmland and pave over it but please don't disregard the architectural, cultural and historical heritage value of abandoned parking lots next time. I thank the heritage committee for another W.

I really don't like your sarcastic tone when it comes to preserving this unique parking lot. It has a lot of historical value. Many famous people have parked there. I can't name any of them, and most likely they've forgotten that forgettable experience, but it still happened. Many people have walked in that lot. Many different cars have parked there, from Audi's to Skoda's and Lada's to Tesla's.

As I was driving by the other day, and I was so thankful for those thoughtful people working so valiantly to protect once-in-a-lifetime historically important parking lots, and all the heritage value that they have. This isn't something we want to ditch. You recall the old city hall incident? We all do. Never again. This will make that tear-down the equivalent of tearing down your garden shed.

Well c'mon folks a fourth tower of 15 floors between Weber and Lancaster will make the entire neighbourhood completely shrouded in darkness turning the Olde Berline Towne people into morlocks.
Another one bites the dust

Council refuses permit for highrise in Kitchener heritage district

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fww...trict.html
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »