Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
22 Weber Street West | 15 fl | Proposed
It's really disheartening to know that Kitchener is under the thumb of wealthy home owning NIMBYs. I grew up here, and it's becoming clear that I and many of my peers not actually rich enough as adults to be welcome here. Despite supporting local businesses, going to school here, working here, etc. It's really sad.

What a fucking embarrassment. I can't think of a clearer way to tell future residents and new generations to "fuck off".
local cambridge weirdo
Anybody know what height is permitted as of right on the site?
The odds are that OLT will approve this. And, at that point, there will be no negotiating or horse-trading possible.
Another joke of a decision by council. Hopefully this one goes to OLT. It has been a drawn out battle though. If I were the developer I would probably just accept defeat and take my money to a city that wants it.
(08-23-2022, 04:45 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The odds are that OLT will approve this. And, at that point, there will be no negotiating or hors-trading possible.

If they bother to take it there, though. I guess it depends on whether they already own the property or not. If they do, there's more inventive to take it to the OLT. If it was just a proposal, they might say whatever and move on.

Another fail by and for the City of Kitchener.
Need to know who voted for amd against...Municipal election Coming and need to know who not to support...

Is this the one on the parking lot? Good to know we don’t have to worry about the wrecking ball being taken to any of that beautiful heritage asphalt!
(08-23-2022, 05:19 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(08-23-2022, 04:45 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The odds are that OLT will approve this. And, at that point, there will be no negotiating or hors-trading possible.

If they bother to take it there, though. I guess it depends on whether they already own the property or not. If they do, there's more inventive to take it to the OLT. If it was just a proposal, they might say whatever and move on.

They have already appealed to the OLT.
(08-23-2022, 07:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-23-2022, 05:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: If they bother to take it there, though. I guess it depends on whether they already own the property or not. If they do, there's more inventive to take it to the OLT. If it was just a proposal, they might say whatever and move on.

They have already appealed to the OLT.

Good to hear.
Deleted
Do developers have to wait for council to reject a proposal before taking it to the OLT? I feel like council should have to make a yes or no decision on a proposal within a reasonable timeframe. It was pretty obvious that council was going to continue to allow the NIMBY's of this city to dictate the urban fabric of DTK.
I suspect if it was not an election year then things may have turned out different for this and Victoria and Park. I mean the city has been specifically planning to density the downtown and transit nodes. They've also been doing a good job, approving projects of much larger size left and right.

i don't think it's truly a heritage issue for the city. I mean, look at Q Condos, right? That location has a beautiful and unique old building but they approved the condo, saving only the facade. I think this is just council pandering to NIMBYs to hold onto their seats. Which may, in the most frustrating way, be good in the sense that they are generally pro-development and could easily be unseated by someone who specifically panders to NIMBYs all the time. We don't need anyone like that on council.

Who knows. Hopefully the OLT can step in and save this...same goes for Victoria and Park. There's also that 25 floor building proposed beside that project (between Victoria and Park and Garment Street) that could face the same fate, so hopefully these things go through the right channels and get built.

What I don't get about these nimbys is that just ten years ago, these "old Berlin" houses were seen as relatively undesirable (compared to urban neighbourhoods like westmount etc.

There were several board-up or demolished buildings on Margret Ave. for example.

How did these neighbourhoods go from pariah-status to "rich/wealthy nimby in such a short time?. I think the nimbys are already 1st gen genetifers who do not like the 2nd wave gentrifiers (ex newer urban condo people)
There have always been rich people dwelling on Ahrens, Roy, Heins, Schneider, etc. - and they've always wanted to live in an exclusive little gated community with all the benefits of downtown living, without any of the downsides. Congrats to them, because it appears they are victorious. Let's just hope the encampments spill into these neighborhoods as more of us get renovicted/displaced/gentrified.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »