Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
22 Weber Street West | 15 fl | Proposed
Rob, my frustrations have been clearly directed at the user in question. And they're also directed at the fact that the expectations are clearly unreasonable.

But if what we're doing here is that much of a failure maybe the future of the site needs to come into question.

The way you say it I've gone full fledged absentee landlord like Andrew did at wonderful Waterloo. Should I do what he did and delete the whole thing?

I don't need a pat on the back for this site, but I certainly don't need this shit.

Spokes, I have been on here since the start.. I appreciate your efforts. I never take anyone serious enough to be offended on these kind of sites.
Ya you're right, I don't typically let this kind of thing bother me.

Anyways. I appreciate you too. One of the originals, crazy how far we've come huh?
I’d like to re-iterate my support for Spokes. I’m quite disappointed, as I tend to see robdrimmie as a thoughtful contributor.

I’d say if he doesn’t consider Spokes’ response sufficient, then he’s not getting his money’s worth and should seek a refund of any pre-paid membership fees and cancel his membership. Or, as I suggested before, volunteer to be online 7/24 to watch for problems.
(08-26-2022, 03:30 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(08-26-2022, 01:07 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: We should all be grateful to Spokes and other creators who do positive things for the community. It is highly damaging to the community to hold those people to any grossly unreasonable standard.

I am grateful to Spokes, and to Tom. And to Ac3r, whose content is very largely fantastic, and occasionally peppered with prejudice which can also harmful to a community.

Being grateful to someone does not free them of criticism.

Creating a community like this is a lot of work, and it carries with it a lot of responsibility. The post was up for over 24 hours at the time of my comment. Even with your interpretation of immediate, that is a lot of time.

A Code of Conduct is a very important promise from those responsible for a community to the members of it. This was a failure to uphold a commitment that the administration of this site made to all its users. You are welcome to think of me what you like, but I will not apologize for holding them to the standard they set.

Edited to add: The way to make things obvious is to use words in a way that is supported by their dictionary definition.

Criticism would be warranted if he didn't follow the posted code of conduct when making a decision on removing the post, which is clearly not the case. Instead you are criticizing that he is not devoting more time to moderating. As someone who volunteers in a leadership capacity for an organization, this sort of attitude from members - implicitly demanding that I commit even more time and energy - is extremely demoralizing when encountered. If you see a short-coming, think about ways that you can contribute to improve, don't ask for more from the person who is already contributing the most.

The wording of the Code of Conduct also has to be understood in context. When I click my mouse button, I expect the UI to show an 'immediate' effect. Obviously even you don't hold Spokes to that standard. Considering he was more timely than organizations like Twitter and Facebook which have paid staff 24 hours of the day to deal with these things, I would say that your interpretation of 'immediate' is overly strict for a small volunteer forum like this one.
In the regulatory world of ISO, the phrase "without undue delay" is used when something must be done immediately within reason. Regulators often request corrective actions and leave it up to the manufacturer to determine their own timeline for resolution, as long as the deficiency is resolved without undue delay. Some problems only take a few hours to fix, others could take months. As long as the timelines are reasonable, regulators will work with you.
Thanks for your support of the forum friends.

Is the word choice of immediately problematic here? Did I paint myself into a corner? A simple word change could fix this

(08-30-2022, 06:19 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thanks for your support of the forum friends.

Is the word choice of immediately problematic here? Did I paint myself into a corner? A simple word change could fix this

One can always quibble about wording. I don’t think you have anything to apologize for. I simple word change might improve this, but echoing what jamincan said, I would suggest that no amount of extra work will eliminate the possibility of people having an ungrateful attitude towards your efforts.

If you want to spend the time on it, replacing the word “immediately” with a different word that connotes emphasis but doesn’t have any meaning associated with things happening right away wouldn’t be a bad idea. Perhaps “without hesitation”? The phrase “without quarter” is also coming to mind but I think that’s a little obsolescent.
Hey Spokes, Change the word so that people wont get caught up in the semantics. Again, thank you for what you do...
Also, I thought I would post this again as a reminder for everyone of the intent, or spirit of what your successfully doing here...

Welcome to Waterloo Region Connected!

Launched in August 2014, Waterloo Region Connected is an online community that brings together all the things that make Waterloo Region great. Waterloo Region Connected provides a news reporting service, opportunities for event promotion and other user-driven content complemented by a lively discussion forum covering topics like urban development, transportation projects, heritage issues, businesses and other issues of interest to those in Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and the four Townships - North Dumfries, Wellesley, Wilmot, and Woolwich. In addition to that, Waterloo Region Connected offers some of the best local photography out there.

One of the best features of Waterloo Region Connected is the forum. The forum is a place to find news, event listings, updates on projects, and share opinions. With thousands of viewers a day, a lively discussion is always on the go. Registration for Waterloo Region Connected and it's forum is quick and easy, and best of all, it's free!

Need to get in touch with us? We'd love to hear from you! Just click here to send us a message.
(08-30-2022, 06:19 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thanks for your support of the forum friends.

Yes. It really is that simple.

Look, I get why folks are pissed off at me here, it's a reasonable response to dickish rules lawyers, which I am being. There are many comments about how my expectations are unreasonable, but those expectations come directly from the use of the word "immediately". Wording such as "as quickly as we can" would set different expectations than "immediately"

I will continue to irritate folks by pointing out the ableism present in the arguments that it is obvious that "as quickly as we can" is implied by the current wording. Certain cognitive disabilities - notably and relevant to this situation, autism - impact many peoples' ability to see, let alone interpret, subtext.
(08-30-2022, 11:23 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Hey Spokes,  Change the word so that people wont get caught up in the semantics. Again,  thank you for what you do...

Or just as simple as taking out the word all together.  We do a pretty damn good job here.  We certainly do our best.  We don't let bad things slide.  If we know about them we'll deal with them.
(08-30-2022, 11:26 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Also,  I thought I would post this again as a reminder for everyone of the intent, or spirit of what your successfully doing here...

Welcome to Waterloo Region Connected!

Launched in August 2014, Waterloo Region Connected is an online community that brings together all the things that make Waterloo Region great. Waterloo Region Connected provides a news reporting service, opportunities for event promotion and other user-driven content complemented by a lively discussion forum covering topics like urban development, transportation projects, heritage issues, businesses and other issues of interest to those in Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and the four Townships - North Dumfries, Wellesley, Wilmot, and Woolwich. In addition to that, Waterloo Region Connected offers some of the best local photography out there.

One of the best features of Waterloo Region Connected is the forum. The forum is a place to find news, event listings, updates on projects, and share opinions. With thousands of viewers a day, a lively discussion is always on the go. Registration for Waterloo Region Connected and it's forum is quick and easy, and best of all, it's free!

Need to get in touch with us?  We'd love to hear from you! Just click here to send us a message.

Wow.  That feels like AGES ago.  I remember sitting at my kitchen table writing that.  Wow.  Thanks for posting.

(08-04-2022, 03:26 AM)ac3r Wrote: Wow thank god. I was worried they'd get rid of it. The preservation of not only the warped and cracked asphalt, but those invasive species of weeds and the used syringes as well needs to be paramount if we're to build a vibrant community that respects our heritage. If people want to build apartment buildings, like, hello? Buy some farmland and pave over it but please don't disregard the architectural, cultural and historical heritage value of abandoned parking lots next time. I thank the heritage committee for another W.

I'd love to read that verbatim in the Letters to the Editor section of The Record...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »