Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
(11-26-2021, 11:04 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-26-2021, 06:50 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: I expect this to pass and as ac3r highlighted it could maybe even get more height depending on how the project is revised and phased. Station Park was originally Sixo which was also not nearly as tall as it will be now. Kitchener (unlike Waterloo) has shown a continued willingness to approve height, at least in the downtown core.

Downtown is the keyword. No reason not to allow this type of height. Especially after spending that money on the Ion.

I think it will still get approved but I think these parcels are technically right adjacent to the zoned "downtown" parcels. However, the enormous one next to it is the city owned asphalt wasteland that you could shoot gun through safely at 6pm.

If I may offer an idea to put to the "not enough parks and amenities" concerns that are coming up (including from the ward counsellor): maybe the city could choose to prioritize green space and park land over this enormous parking area and find a way to have these dense developments raise some funds to convert it.

I wish there was a big central park near this development. Hmm if only hah.
(12-01-2021, 10:33 AM)Spokes Wrote: I wish there was a big central park near this development.  Hmm if only hah.

The funny thing is there are at least 3 other parks within a 2-5 minute walk of this place.
Wink 
(12-01-2021, 10:33 AM)Spokes Wrote: I wish there was a big central park near this development.  Hmm if only hah.

This development will cast large shadows in the park, and ruin everyones day, especially the splash pad. Not only that, they'll look at the traffic at Victoria and Park, and we all know that this is a bad thing. Not to mention the passing VIA train - do we want train passengers to see this massive structure?
(12-01-2021, 04:11 PM)jeffster Wrote:

This development will cast large shadows in the park, and ruin everyones day, especially the splash pad. Not only that, they'll look at the traffic at Victoria and Park, and we all know that this is a bad thing. Not to mention the passing VIA train - do we want train passengers to see this massive structure?

Lol...I gotta assume this is sarcasm...but FWIW, I'd put money on someone saying something like this.

Hell, in Ottawa there was an objection to a development saying local businesses would have too many customers.

The perspective of some - which is not really wrong on a park space per person basis - is that central park is not large enough to support these U/C and planned above-zoned density projects. I don't have a really strong opinion beyond thinking that city surface lots that are only really used by work commuters (Bramm St.) should be put to better use for downtown residents. 

Probably in some combination of park space, which you can't really expect a developer to prioritize, and development that meets the affordable and rental deficiency in town, which could be controlled more if they are the ones deciding what to do with the parcel of land?
Yes, they usually switch to that argument when pushed. And yes Victoria Park is busy in summer, but compared with parks in Toronto it really isn’t that busy. And the three other nearby parks are ghost towns. I mean people use them but they are pretty empty when in use. But I certainly agree more parks would be good.

I think it's wrong to say that Victoria Park is busy in a general sense. First few nice days in Spring, maybe, and a really nice summer Saturday specific amenities- the playground and the splash pad come to my mind just because they are where I often go- might be well-used, but I don't think it's almost ever what any reasonable person would call "crowded."

In a general sense, more parks are good, but this really isn't one of the parts of town that is lacking park space. Cherry Park will be an extremely comfortable stroll from this development and, no, it's not over-subscribed.
If the developer were to provide funding for parkland, the ideal option would be for the city to purchase 168 West Ave. At almost two acres it might be rather expensive, though.

I too would like the junkyard cleaned up.
(12-02-2021, 10:22 AM)tomh009 Wrote: If the developer were to provide funding for parkland, the ideal option would be for the city to purchase 168 West Ave. At almost two acres it might be rather expensive, though.

I was musing to a friend the other day that this lot could make for a slightly better option for the Indigenous Centre proposed by some for the Charles St Terminal lot. Still central and accessible but not taking away what is otherwise a fairly central (read: high land value) parcel that may better raise some funds with a developer towards some much needed housing in a core area.
There's zero chance the old bus terminal gets turned into an Indigenous centre as much as I would love to have one in this region. I'm Indigenous and think it's a great idea, but this isn't the place for it. I know some of the people who had proposed this and they don't really understand what they're attempting to do. Aside from the costs involved, the bus terminal itself is not really the kind of structure you can use for anything but a bus terminal.

Inside, there are only 5 usable rooms in the building: 4 offices, an old break room and the restaurant downstairs. The rest of it is just the hallways, staircases, some washrooms under said staircases and electrical rooms (and surprisingly, a secure holding cell...I had no idea they had one). The building is also in horrible condition. I had done some work for my architecture firm this year and I had visited the site to scope things out since a developer we work with has been interested in this location. The mechanical aspects are seriously run down (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, elevators etc), the roof leaks, the windows need replaced etc. It'd cost millions of dollars to repair it and then transform it into usable space. And then you'd have to figure out what to do with the rest of the plot of land since it's basically just a bunch of asphalt bus lanes. Adding more structures would cost a lot of money and neither the Region of Waterloo nor the City of Kitchener would be willing to cover the cost to do that.
(12-02-2021, 09:04 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I think it's wrong to say that Victoria Park is busy in a general sense. First few nice days in Spring, maybe, and a really nice summer Saturday specific amenities- the playground and the splash pad come to my mind just because they are where I often go- might be well-used, but I don't think it's almost ever what any reasonable person would call "crowded."

I visit or go through victoria park just about every single day outside of winter (and even then most days). There are a handful of days each year (some of which you highlighted) which I personally find unpleasantly crowded. However, there are many, many more days throughout the year that I think are very close to being crowded. And with the amount of nearby housing coming online, I don't think we're far off from a crowded reality, even if we aren't there today.

(12-02-2021, 09:33 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 09:04 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I think it's wrong to say that Victoria Park is busy in a general sense. First few nice days in Spring, maybe, and a really nice summer Saturday specific amenities- the playground and the splash pad come to my mind just because they are where I often go- might be well-used, but I don't think it's almost ever what any reasonable person would call "crowded."

I visit or go through victoria park just about every single day outside of winter (and even then most days). There are a handful of days each year (some of which you highlighted) which I personally find unpleasantly crowded. However, there are many, many more days throughout the year that I think are very close to being crowded. And with the amount of nearby housing coming online, I don't think we're far off from a crowded reality, even if we aren't there today.

I think it all depends on (1) time of day, (2) the part of the park, and (3) one's definition of "crowded".

We walk the park almost every day after dinner. For the last two months or so, there are generally very few (or no) people on the trails. In the summer, there are people, sure, but we generally don't have any trouble doing the social distancing (2m or so). To me, that's not unpleasantly crowded. (The kids' play area certainly is busy in the summer, though.)

Now, you may be using a different part of the park, or at a different time of day. Or else your "crowdedness threshold" is just way lower than mine.
(12-02-2021, 11:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 09:33 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I visit or go through victoria park just about every single day outside of winter (and even then most days). There are a handful of days each year (some of which you highlighted) which I personally find unpleasantly crowded. However, there are many, many more days throughout the year that I think are very close to being crowded. And with the amount of nearby housing coming online, I don't think we're far off from a crowded reality, even if we aren't there today.

I think it all depends on (1) time of day, (2) the part of the park, and (3) one's definition of "crowded".

We walk the park almost every day after dinner. For the last two months or so, there are generally very few (or no) people on the trails. In the summer, there are people, sure, but we generally don't have any trouble doing the social distancing (2m or so). To me, that's not unpleasantly crowded. (The kids' play area certainly is busy in the summer, though.)

Now, you may be using a different part of the park, or at a different time of day. Or else your "crowdedness threshold" is just way lower than mine.

This last point is absolutely on point. The park is (unfortunately) a major commuter/transportation bike route. It is very crowded for me to be cycling through trying to get somewhere. But if I were out for a stroll, it would be perfectly pleasant. The park has lots of space, it's a question of how it's used and managed.

For example, we could open up much more space by closing Jubilee Dr. to cars.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »