Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Victoria and Park | 25, 36, 38 fl | Proposed
(12-10-2021, 05:07 PM)cherrypark Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 05:05 PM)CP42 Wrote: I used to use outline to read these, but it doesn't seem to be working now.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Here is one site you can use for access if you don't want to subscribe: Archived article

Thanks for sharing. Nice to see a supportive article coming from The Record, for once. And it's bang on as well.

(12-09-2021, 09:16 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 07:10 PM)neonjoe Wrote: But but but we need skyscrapers in farmers fields. Car centric skyscrapers will help traffic right?
The tower in the park concept worked out well right?

Better yet, we could just turn the city into something like Tokyo-3 in Neon Genesis Evangelion where all the towers and skyscrapers can retract underground at the push of the button! If we're going to use galaxy brain solutions we might as well go big.

[Image: xTSBJ5z.gif] [Image: ZRD5t0I.gif]

Yeah, that's going to cost a fortune tho. But where there is a will, there is a way.
(12-10-2021, 05:20 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 05:05 PM)CP42 Wrote: I used to use outline to read these, but it doesn't seem to be working now.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

The Record's mobile app is totally open/free. No article limits, and shows subscriber-only articles. Not great for reading old articles, but quite convenient for any current news story.

This is great, thank you!
(12-10-2021, 05:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 12:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I don't think that's the point, it's easy for rentals to be price regulated, the vast majority of rentals are regulated in some way.

This is an example of owned properties also being price regulated. I don't know of any other examples like this.

We don't actually know whether they are regulated. They could also just be built less expensively, with less space and less expensive finishings.

I meant, in general, the majority of our rental properties in the province fall under rent stabilization policies.
(12-10-2021, 05:02 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 04:08 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Wow, surprisingly 'The Record' actual wrote a story today about people living in this neighbourhood who are in favor of this development. Someone must have reached out to them. Glad to see the YIMBY group is taking a proactive approach.  People don't like when I attach a link to 'The Record', so if you want to read it, the title is 'there is no going back to the way the city looked before'.

There was a solid few responses to their tweet of the story complaining about the lack of coverage of those in favour - perhaps that had some sort of impact!

Wow...that's a great article!

I'm impressed, but yeah, I did have some rather harsh words about the first article:

https://twitter.com/danbrotherston/statu...3557551107

I'm really impressed that Ms. Monteiro was willing to revisit the article and look at the other viewpoints.

(For some reason the inline tweets aren't working.)
(12-10-2021, 12:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I don't think that's the point, it's easy for rentals to be price regulated, the vast majority of rentals are regulated in some way.

This is an example of owned properties also being price regulated. I don't know of any other examples like this.

“regulated in some way

I’m not saying that all regulation causes trouble, including price regulation. I’m saying attempting to change prices directly causes them to change in a different way. In Ontario rent control applies only to continuing tenancies. As a result, in the long term rents never get seriously out of step with market rents and the worst problems are avoided.

However, the issues around “renovictions” and similar issues show what happens in situations where the tenants want long-term rentals which therefore do have the ability to end up far below market rent. In the student market, the current rent control system doesn’t have much effect, because most students leave after a small number of years at most, allowing their apartments to be re-rented at market. In the long-term occupancy market however you sometimes have these issues arising.

I understand that there are cities that are being destroyed by rent control. In some places, rents are frozen at levels established decades ago. As a result, there simply isn’t money available to maintain the properties, to the point that some buildings have collapsed and whole place looks incredibly dilapidated.
I noticed a For lease Sign for Retail/office space in front of the old I print/Kitchener Print building.

(12-21-2021, 09:12 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I noticed a For lease Sign for Retail/office space in front of the old I print/Kitchener Print building.

I noticed that too - I assume that would be for the main floor commercial space of the new building?
Community meeting Feb 8th

[attachment=8130]
Should be lively ...
I've emailed Eric Schneider to voice my approval for this project, hoping it won't all be negative NIMBY's bombarding him with emails
It will have two community associations to contend with but given the scale of what’s proposed, it merits a broader discussion, istm.
If this doesn't get approved I vow to never work on another project in this region ever again lol. I was happy to have been involved in designing this. This is a gorgeous project with amazing architecture and details that have yet to be revealed to the public and if somehow this gets rejected but Duke Tower can get built then there's really no point in trying to work in Waterloo Region. This is one of the few projects being proposed by teams outside of the region and it'll be a huge missed opportunity if it fails to get approval. I'll be extremely disappointed if it gets scaled back as well.

Oh this is going to be fun
(01-26-2022, 05:34 PM)Kodra24 Wrote: I've emailed Eric Schneider to voice my approval for this project, hoping it won't all be negative NIMBY's bombarding him with emails

Same from our household. No project is perfect, but on balance as ac3r said, if we're going to build up let's do it in a considered and well designed way like this instead of some of the other bricks that have been approved in KW. Wish we were also seeing more low to mid-rise in the city too (not necessarily instead), but this location is one that seems reasonable to say go to more density.

Still eager to know what the city is planning to do in the Bramm St masterplan with these newer developments in mind.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »