Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
102 Fountain Street South (former Preston Springs Hotel) | 26, 24 & 22 fl | Proposed
Would offer a good signal as well that perhaps we ought to cut Cambridge loose. The city is just a leech that we sink money into for infrastructure, paramedics, policing and so on and get very little back. The actual amalgamation of Cambridge had never been a popular thing for them even though it was so long ago. Then over time as they were forced have to participate heavily in regional governance they were left with an even sourer taste in their mouth. Also even physically they have never really felt part of the Region of Waterloo because there is essentially the hard border of the Grand River, Grand River Valley, Speed River and then other obstacles like the 401 so why they were sort of pushed into the regional sphere even more than previously was always a bit perplexing to me.

That said, could they even survive independently? Lol...not sure where the money would come from to fund everything. Plus, the actual city would probably begin to spiral downward (at least now we at least keep it propped up). I can't imagine the chaos if they were responsible for developing a coherent plan on the evolution of their city after having their hands held for so long...they clearly are next to incapable of doing so now.

https://www.cambridgetoday.ca/local-news...al-8149810

Looks like an opportunity to make city staff and developers suffer, if anyone here is into the whole sadism disguised as democracy thing on Feb 5.
local cambridge weirdo
Looks like cambridge council is at it again. They have required the site have a maximum of 2 towers with a restriction of 15 storeys. This will essentially kill the project unless they take it to the OLT. We will most likely be looking at a derelict site for the next 2+ decades.

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2024/03/20...ngs-hotel/
I'm looking forward to the OLT continuing their winning streak against the assholes on city council (except for Scott Hamilton, who is the only man with a conscience on council).
local cambridge weirdo
You and Attica ought to run for council, then vote yes on everything. :'P
It does sound like a lot of fun... get elected with no intention of ever winning re-election and see what "damage" you can do in that short time.
local cambridge weirdo
(03-20-2024, 01:29 PM)bravado Wrote: It does sound like a lot of fun... get elected with no intention of ever winning re-election and see what "damage" you can do in that short time.

Careful, you might actually get re-elected!

Councillor Hamilton comments' have been summarized and I suspect they will reflect the arguments used in the OLT in a few months about this project:

Quote:“The details of the revised motion just came out of the blue,” Hamilton said.

“They weren’t discussed with all of council, and we didn’t, as far as I know, consult any engineers or architects about them. So, things like building height, design materials and appearance, that just came out of the blue from council and the 11th hour.
Quote:“We are not planners, we’re not engineers, we’re not architects, we’re not city builders. So, to put applicants, developers, and the public through years of costly work, doing the designs, doing the blueprints, attending and hosting meetings, going to different council sessions, and then at the very last second to suddenly revise the entire proposal, just literally transform it, according to completely subjective criteria that hasn’t been discussed with council. I think that’s pretty wild.”
Quote:Hamilton felt it was important the city continued working with the developer while they still had a say in the final build.

“We can use change to our advantage or if we fight against it, it will be implemented against our will in a piecemeal fashion that ultimately damages the economic and social prospects of the city going forth,” he said, noting he wished he had spoken during the meeting. He said he was caught off guard, there was little discussion and he was still collecting his thoughts on the amended proposal when the vote was called.

“If it does go to the OLT, and we know that in 97 per cent of the cases the OLT rules in favour of the developer, then the city loses all control and we spend many thousands of dollars from taxpayer dollars; paying to lose.”
Quote:“This is the exact area of the city that we need housing. We need density for the LRT, for the gateway to the 401, for the revitalization of Preston, and to take what is an emaciated corner and breathe life back into it again,” Hamilton said.

“I just think this is a super dangerous precedent that council set by changing around such substantial plans at the very last second, without even bringing it to all council first, the planners or staff or anyone. I was blown away.”

https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news/cambr...91fcd.html
local cambridge weirdo
I can tell this guy hates his colleagues in council. He sounds as frustrated as we are.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »