Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
45 Courtland St E | 6 fl | Proposed
Does anyone know the story of these 3 houses on Courtland at Benton? https://goo.gl/maps/MPePewUtpwmaDKPb7

They're all currently boarded up and vacant.

(02-19-2022, 01:04 AM)Lens Wrote: Does anyone know the story of these 3 houses on Courtland at Benton? https://goo.gl/maps/MPePewUtpwmaDKPb7

I seem to remember that those houses were all crack homes. I believe they were sold and there is something about a mid-rise apartment or condo going up, like 10 floors, and lots of complaints from local owners about destroying the view of the stars at night, and shadows and too much traffic.

Some people prefer crack houses with the police coming every night, sirens blaring.
(02-19-2022, 06:30 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 01:04 AM)Lens Wrote: Does anyone know the story of these 3 houses on Courtland at Benton? https://goo.gl/maps/MPePewUtpwmaDKPb7

I seem to remember that those houses were all crack homes. I believe they were sold and there is something about a mid-rise apartment or condo going up, like 10 floors, and lots of complaints from local owners about destroying the view of the stars at night, and shadows and too much traffic.

Some people prefer crack houses with the police coming every night, sirens blaring.

I don't recall them being crack houses but maybe that's before we moved downtown?

In any case, the three properties were all purchased by a single owner, and were up for sale sometime last year (or maybe 2020?) with a conceptual mid-rise apartment building. Maybe five floors, parking on ground level below the residential floors.

Currently owned by Cantiro Developments who say that they are actively working on their first projects in the KW area.
https://cantiro.ca/communities/ontario/b...-waterloo/

Demolition permits have already been issued so presumable this will be starting in the near future.
(02-20-2022, 12:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 06:30 PM)jeffster Wrote: I seem to remember that those houses were all crack homes. I believe they were sold and there is something about a mid-rise apartment or condo going up, like 10 floors, and lots of complaints from local owners about destroying the view of the stars at night, and shadows and too much traffic.

I don't recall them being crack houses but maybe that's before we moved downtown?

In any case, the three properties were all purchased by a single owner, and were up for sale sometime last year (or maybe 2020?) with a conceptual mid-rise apartment building. Maybe five floors, parking on ground level below the residential floors.

Currently owned by Cantiro Developments who say that they are actively working on their first projects in the KW area.

Demolition permits have already been issued so presumable this will be starting in the near future.

It was a long time ago. Maybe 10 years or so, or more. I thought the developer had cleaned it up, and rented it out, but also wanted to make it into a relatively 'smaller' development. But this was years ago, probably the same time that Auburn was fighting with the neighbours on Courtland in that row of townhomes.
(02-20-2022, 12:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote: In any case, the three properties were all purchased by a single owner, and were up for sale sometime last year (or maybe 2020?) with a conceptual mid-rise apartment building. Maybe five floors, parking on ground level below the residential floors.

Demolition was indeed well under way as of this afternoon.
(02-20-2022, 06:23 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 12:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't recall them being crack houses but maybe that's before we moved downtown?

It was a long time ago. Maybe 10 years or so, or more. I thought the developer had cleaned it up, and rented it out, but also wanted to make it into a relatively 'smaller' development. But this was years ago, probably the same time that Auburn was fighting with the neighbours on Courtland in that row of townhomes.

Lol no crack houses there.  We used to own/live one of the houses from 2010-2018.  Prior to us was a family that had it for 35 years.  Next door was also family occupied for decades.  One of the houses was  was built  for Joseph Schneider's daughter.  The people that bought our house assembled the three properties and rented them out for a few years and resold them 2020 I think.  
I thought it might have been Savic Homes that own the lots now but not sure. Their name comes up when you google Courtland and Benton
Cantiro Homes is proposing a 6 floor project at 45 Courtland Street East (intersection of Courtland and Benton).

[Image: 7L9Ibny.png]

Not much info about it yet, but this thread can be updated if/when it becomes available.

Will it replace all the houses between Benton and the old Silverwoods Dairy?
Looks like the perfect sort of small-scale infill that intersection could use, which avoids major shadow/privacy impacts on the neighbourhood, and is exactly what opponents of projects like Victoria and Park say they want to see. I'm sure the neighbourhood will support it wholeheartedly fiercely oppose it.
(08-02-2022, 04:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Will it replace all the houses between Benton and the old Silverwoods Dairy?

Three of the four; the one at the corner of Benton is staying. The three have already been demolished.

The render looks lovely but the elevation doesn't match at all. Smile
Perfect size for that location. Definitely an upgrade
Received this in the mail. If anyone wants to submit comments for this development, looks like you have until September 9. I am going to do so as I think it looks like a good development for the location so I'm generally supportive.

Hard to imagine any objection, although anything is possible from the gentrifiers in the area behind the site.

A good reminder. I just emailed my thoughts on that. I think I can can be more than just a six storey residential building at such a prime location on the edge of Downtown.

We'll see what kind of response I get from "Disappointing Debbie".
The back of this is fairly meh. I think it could be improved with a bit of ornamentation, lighting or just room for plants. I also don't like how the outdoor amenity area just overlooks the driveway. Why wouldn't they add in some sort of wall? But nonetheless this should be a good addition to the area.

[Image: sWXJpz5.png]

[Image: juUoRUT.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »