Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal redistricting 2022
Another census in, another run at redrawing the federal riding borders. The below is the current proposal, please note, and is likely subject to change.

At a glance, the existing borders in black, the proposed in purple:

[Image: jh28od9.png]

I'll break down the changes by riding.

Waterloo - will be simplified to just the city limits. This gives Bridgeport to Kit-Cen.

Kitchener Centre - Gains Bridgeport from Waterloo, loses a small strip of north Chicopee to Kit South.

Cambridge - loses North Dumfries (and that chunk of Brant), Blair, and Preston Heights; gains Hespeler south of the Speed River. This makes the riding significantly more urban.

Kitchener South (subname changing from Hespeler to North Dumfries) - loses all of Hespeler; gains North Dumfries, plus Blair and Preston Heights and a chunk of southwest Kitchener. It becomes more rural.

Kitchener-Conestoga - gains Hespeler north of the Speed, loses a bit of suburban Kitchener.

This gives five ridings completely within the Region (a chunk of north Brant had been on the old Cambridge riding).

Guelph will also be shrinking, losing some southern suburbs to Wellington-Halton.

Feel free to zoom in and check specifics at the interactive map here: https://redecoupage-redistribution-2022....ca&prov=on

(08-21-2022, 11:26 AM)KevinL Wrote: Another census in, another run at redrawing the federal riding borders. The below is the current proposal, please note, and is likely subject to change.

At a glance, the existing borders in black, the proposed in purple:

[Image: jh28od9.png]

I'll break down the changes by riding.

Waterloo - will be simplified to just the city limits. This gives Bridgeport to Kit-Cen.

Kitchener Centre - Gains Bridgeport from Waterloo, loses a small strip of north Chicopee to Kit South.

Cambridge - loses North Dumfries (and that chunk of Brant), Blair, and Preston Heights; gains Hespeler south of the Speed River. This makes the riding significantly more urban.

Kitchener South (subname changing from Hespeler to North Dumfries) - loses all of Hespeler; gains North Dumfries, plus Blair and Preston Heights and a chunk of southwest Kitchener. It becomes more rural.

Kitchener-Conestoga - gains Hespeler north of the Speed, loses a bit of suburban Kitchener.

This gives five ridings completely within the Region (a chunk of north Brant had been on the old Cambridge riding).

Guelph will also be shrinking, losing some southern suburbs to Wellington-Halton.

Feel free to zoom in and check specifics at the interactive map here: https://redecoupage-redistribution-2022....ca&prov=on

I didn't know that Waterloo included parts of Kitchener. Interesting.

Only a matter of time before the region has 6 ridings.
Just waiting for everything between Trussler and Fisher Hallman to be absorbed by Kitchener Centre. That would have been a better move to keep like interests together.
Kitchener-Centre will continue to shrink, especially with all the DTKitchener builds, The Metz, Mill/Ottawa, etc.

I think eventually what we'll see is: Kitchener-Centre, Kitchener-West, Kitchener-South, Cambridge North (includes townships), Cambridge South (includes townships) and Waterloo. Each will be about 90,000-110,000 in size.
Waterloo currently claims 146,000 people, so it wouldn't surprise me if Waterloo ends up with a riding and a half shared with north-Kitchener if the target is 100,000 people per riding (the highest riding population (that I could find) before the current redistricting exercise was about 200,000)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »