Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 municipal election publicity
Not sure of the best place for this, but I found this chart interesting. It's only a snapshot of 5 proposals that went to Kitchener council but it demonstrates the real impact of councillors' perspectives on housing. https://twitter.com/WRYIMBY/status/15680...2UvpTa7glw

(09-10-2022, 07:07 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote: Not sure of the best place for this, but I found this chart interesting. It's only a snapshot of 5 proposals that went to Kitchener council but it demonstrates the real impact of councillors' perspectives on housing. https://twitter.com/WRYIMBY/status/15680...63712?s=20&t=bb3CegyuXJMt2UvpTa7glw

Thanks, Melissa! I'm going to link that chart here directly to demonstrate why it's ABC (Anybody but Chapman) for me in Ward 9.

[Image: FcKp7aNXoAAmZ2k?format=jpg&name=large]
Multiple things come out about Rob Evans, mayoral candidate for Waterloo, today, about him being a scummy landlord.

https://twitter.com/ManviBhalla/status/1...0745141251

https://www.reddit.com/r/uwaterloo/comme..._waterloo/
I don't even know if I'll bother to vote in this...the candidates are all a joke. It's either a choice between incumbents, people with hollow platforms or people who almost seem like they're just running for a joke based on how insane their websites and social media posts are.
FWIW...his "tech entrepreneur" record is pretty sketchy to begin with....seems like he's invented boarding houses...

I'm so tired of the tech industry.
(09-16-2022, 03:55 PM)ac3r Wrote: I don't even know if I'll bother to vote in this...the candidates are all a joke. It's either a choice between incumbents, people with hollow platforms or people who almost seem like they're just running for a joke based on how insane their websites and social media posts are.

There are many disappointing candidates for sure, but there are also some good people with solid experience. There are some really important races (like Regional Council) and some very spicy ones (namely the public school board trustees). The people who get these seats will definitely shape this region over the next few years.
I'm really disappointed in the slate of Cambridge candidates so far. Being angry is not a reason to vote for you. Have a courageous plan for the future, you bunch of whiny status quo babies.
local cambridge weirdo

(09-16-2022, 06:27 PM)fakepnijjar Wrote:
(09-16-2022, 03:55 PM)ac3r Wrote: I don't even know if I'll bother to vote in this...the candidates are all a joke. It's either a choice between incumbents, people with hollow platforms or people who almost seem like they're just running for a joke based on how insane their websites and social media posts are.

There are many disappointing candidates for sure, but there are also some good people with solid experience. There are some really important races (like Regional Council) and some very spicy ones (namely the public school board trustees). The people who get these seats will definitely shape this region over the next few years.

And there are some decent candidates for regional council, too: a key difference here is that each city is essentially a multi-member district, so I think we will tend to get stronger candidates.

For Ward 9, I'm still looking for someone not named Chapman that I can vote for.

Absolutely vote. Mayoral race might be a wash but its 1 incumbent with 4 Kitchener regional council seats and an opportunity for a substantially different representation at the regional table.
(09-16-2022, 08:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote: For Ward 9, I'm still looking for someone not named Chapman that I can vote for.

The Sept 21 all-candidates meeting for Ward 9 has been confirmed: https://cherrypark.blogspot.com/2022/09/...idate.html . My guess is that this is going to be the most productive way to choose between the different Ward 9 candidates.

I would love love love if somebody could attend and record the proceedings so that we could link to it on waterlooregionvotes. I asked the organizer but the response was not encouraging.
(09-17-2022, 09:06 AM)fakepnijjar Wrote: The Sept 21 all-candidates meeting for Ward 9 has been confirmed: https://cherrypark.blogspot.com/2022/09/...idate.html . My guess is that this is going to be the most productive way to choose between the different Ward 9 candidates.

I would love love love if somebody could attend and record the proceedings so that we could link to it on waterlooregionvotes. I asked the organizer but the response was not encouraging.

Unfortunately I need to work on Wed night so I can't do it. Recording it on a mobile phone -- even with audio only -- would be pretty easy. We can provide the attachment space here if someone's willing to do the recording.
Sometimes it feels like a definite lack of vision on council. Not always, but unfortunately more often than not.
I'm planning on going and I just got a 3D axis stabiliser for my phone. I messaged the FB page asking about a spot to set up (table near an outlet) so we'll see what they say.

(09-20-2022, 12:40 PM)Bytor Wrote: I'm planning on going and I just got a 3D axis stabiliser for my phone. I messaged the FB page asking about a spot to set up (table near an outlet) so we'll see what they say.

Great! Please let me know if you run out of attachment space. Smile
(09-16-2022, 08:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-16-2022, 06:27 PM)fakepnijjar Wrote: There are many disappointing candidates for sure, but there are also some good people with solid experience. There are some really important races (like Regional Council) and some very spicy ones (namely the public school board trustees). The people who get these seats will definitely shape this region over the next few years.

And there are some decent candidates for regional council, too: a key difference here is that each city is essentially a multi-member district, so I think we will tend to get stronger candidates.

For Ward 9, I'm still looking for someone not named Chapman that I can vote for.

I was only able to attend the first half of tonight's ward 9 candidates meeting, but I thought Brooklin Wallis spoke well to the issues and was generally a housing-friendly advocate Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »