Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 municipal election publicity
(10-25-2022, 09:23 AM)bravado Wrote:
(10-25-2022, 08:48 AM)neonjoe Wrote: 3 of the four Regional Councillors in Kitchener are new. Both Cambridge and Waterloo have new mayors.
Doug Craig is back with a vengeance in Cambridge (on Regional Council).
I'm glad that the Candidate I voted for in Kitchener Ward 5 won, he seemed to be most in line with what I wanted, a few other Candidates that I talked to seemed to either pander to stop development or were one issue Candidates, for instance the one wanted to install a Stop Sign on Huron Road and Ludolph street. That's all he talked about.

Just to point out that Cambridge’s new mayor is the worst possible option of angry reactionary, and our new regional councillors are heavy status quo types. Big disappointment.
Cambridge will always Cambridge things up... not too much of a surprise.

I work in Cambridge and all of my colleagues I've talked to voted for Liggett. There was a real hatred for McGarry because she apparently caters to the homeless (yes, I've been told that the homeless from BC are flocking to Cambridge because they are treated so well here). Obviously everyone was against having a big amazon warehouse right beside the 401. They also seem to believe that public schools put out litter boxes for furries... so yeah - that's a sample of Liggett's voting base.
(10-25-2022, 11:38 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: I work in Cambridge and all of my colleagues I've talked to voted for Liggett. There was a real hatred for McGarry because she apparently caters to the homeless (yes, I've been told that the homeless from BC are flocking to Cambridge because they are treated so well here). Obviously everyone was against having a big amazon warehouse right beside the 401. They also seem to believe that public schools put out litter boxes for furries... so yeah - that's a sample of Liggett's voting base.

I am not surprised...FWIW...I don't know where the rhetoric is coming from, but there seems to be far more hatred of homeless and vulnerable people in general in Cambridge, than in Kitchener (despite Kitchener having a lot of people suffering as well). Claims like "people are flocking here" are pretty transparently lies meant to make it easier to hate these people because it others them, and makes them seem less sympathetic.

So I really have no idea why that rhetoric is so prevalent in Cambridge. But I also think McGarry has done a poor job politically, which is to say, I agree with most of her policies, but I don't feel like she's been really deeply engaged with the Cambridge electorate...which is a surprising failure for a career politician.

That being said, I also rarely go to Cambridge so what do I know Tongue
I really do think that living in or near a car sewer really decreases your exposure/empathy and is great breeding ground for “no homeless, low taxes, I hate my neighbours” sort of thinking.

Edit: but with the highest turnout of the tri-cities, I can proudly say we love democracy here
local cambridge weirdo
(10-25-2022, 11:53 AM)bravado Wrote: I really do think that living in or near a car sewer really decreases your exposure/empathy and is great breeding ground for “no homeless, low taxes, I hate my neighbours” sort of thinking.

I agree entirely.
(10-25-2022, 11:38 AM)Joedelay Highhoe Wrote: I work in Cambridge and all of my colleagues I've talked to voted for Liggett. There was a real hatred for McGarry because she apparently caters to the homeless (yes, I've been told that the homeless from BC are flocking to Cambridge because they are treated so well here). Obviously everyone was against having a big amazon warehouse right beside the 401. They also seem to believe that public schools put out litter boxes for furries... so yeah - that's a sample of Liggett's voting base.

...as in für suit furries?
(10-25-2022, 11:44 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:

I am not surprised...FWIW...I don't know where the rhetoric is coming from, but there seems to be far more hatred of homeless and vulnerable people in general in Cambridge, than in Kitchener (despite Kitchener having a lot of people suffering as well). Claims like "people are flocking here" are pretty transparently lies meant to make it easier to hate hese people because it others them, and makes them seem less sympathetic.

So I really have no idea why that rhetoric is so prevalent in Cambridge. But I also think McGarry has done a poor job politically, which is to say, I agree with most of her policies, but I don't feel like she's been really deeply engaged with the Cambridge electorate...which is a surprising failure for a career politician.

That being said, I also rarely go to Cambridge so what do I know Tongue

Not too different from blaming immigration for various problems. Same trashy, ignorant rhetoric they use to rally the uninformed.

(10-25-2022, 01:08 PM)ac3r Wrote:

...as in für suit furries?

It was a delusion originating in the idea of gender identity.

You know the idiots who say "I identify as a machine gun" or something equally idiotically machismo. They have pushed a narrative that children are identifying as cats or other animals and schools were providing them litter boxes to do their business in.

Now...I understand that some people are stupid, but the magnitude of the stupidity required to believe something like that is scary.

The existence of furries may have lend a whiff of credibility to this particular mass delusion, but it isn't related to (as far as I'm aware) to furries as a cultural phenomenon.
(10-25-2022, 11:53 AM)bravado Wrote: I really do think that living in or near a car sewer really decreases your exposure/empathy and is great breeding ground for “no homeless, low taxes, I hate my neighbours” sort of thinking.

Edit: but with the highest turnout of the tri-cities, I can proudly say we love democracy here

Cambridge did have electronic voting, KW did not. We need to make voting more accessible to ensure that people exercise their right to vote. In that way Cambridge is more progressive.
I listened to Liggett on the mike farwell show. She is a piece of work, truly disappointed that the majority of voters in cambridge think along the same line as her, although not too surprised. She is pretty much anti-everything.  It is also too bad that cambridge gave Doug Craig a voice in this region again.
It's a shame that there's no Ken Seiling equivalent these days to get fed up with Craig's "what have the Romans ever done for us" BS.
It's municipal politics. Can't be surprised at incumbent winning
(10-25-2022, 05:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: It's municipal politics. Can't be surprised at incumbent winning

In this case, it's a former incumbent coming back to politics because he's bored or something. Won without bothering to set up his website or replying to candidate surveys.
local cambridge weirdo

Name recognition at it's best.
(10-25-2022, 01:18 PM)neonjoe Wrote:

Cambridge did have electronic voting, KW did not. We need to make voting more accessible to ensure that people exercise their right to vote. In that way Cambridge is more progressive.

Not if you actually want to have integrity in elections. There are places and races that have Internet voting and they don't do better and their elections are less trustworthy because you can't actually have secure Internet voting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »