Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
203-207 King St S | 30 fl | Proposed
Yeah, there has been a thread for this for a while.

Probably zero chance it gets built to this height because Waterloo is...Waterloo. I don't even know why the developer would waste their time and hundreds of thousands of dollars to even propose it in that backwards excuse of a city. It would have been approved already if it were proposed in Kitchener.

(09-27-2023, 10:42 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I think we have a thread for this one

https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1723

Funny how it’s such a big deal in Waterloo to go above the 25 storey mark. At least the planners support it

Whoops, you're right. I thought there was one, and I looked for it, but it never imagined that it was a whole year ago. I thought I'd read about it here a few months ago, I guess time has been flying this past year.

Mods, can we get the threads merged?
I wish slabs weren't so efficient...
From the article (not the Council package which likely has more detail):

Quote:The tower with 338 units has been revised since it was first proposed a year ago, partly in response to public feedback.

It has been made taller by 14 metres and more slender, to better meet design guidelines. The number of two-bedroom units has more than doubled to a total of 92, to better accommodate families and bigger households. This has required the addition of 18 units while increasing the total bedroom count to 430.

Parking spots have been reduced by 23 to 256, down by eight per cent. Other tweaks have been made to comply with city planning rules. Several other tweaks to planning rules are proposed.

If this building succeeds in jumping to 30 storeys, how quickly with other towers follow?
Not very quickly. Anything above 25 floors directly uptown is a hard pitch to sell. Outside of the core it may be easier, though, and there are a number of projects proposed that have towers in the 30 floor range but they're all in suburbs and industrial parks.
Approved at council.

Waterloo council approves tallest downtown tower
Council OKs 30 storeys with 216 more bedrooms than planning rules allow

https://archive.ph/9kTcG

Playing the greatest hits here.
The tower is “too tall, really too big for the space, too close to the street, too close to the sidewalk. It’s really too everything,” neighbour Carol Dixon said.

“You’re really squeezing people in here,” neighbour Richard Dixon said. “This proposal is flawed and it needs a total re-look.”

“The developer wins, the residents lose,” neighbour John Shortreed said. He called the tower “poor urban design for unneeded density.”

And some supportive quotes.
“We need projects like this for the middle class,” Phil Marfisi said. “It is in complete alignment with the policy direction the city has chosen to go in.”

Craig Sloss lives in a highrise near the proposed tower and wants it built to provide more housing. “I look forward to welcoming many more neighbours,” he said. “If we’re not going to build it here, where are we going to build it?”
John Shortreed needs a new hobby...

(10-04-2023, 10:33 AM)neonjoe Wrote: John Shortreed needs a new hobby...

He already has a great hobby: calling developers greedy while he waits for his own property to keep gaining in value.
local cambridge weirdo
(10-04-2023, 10:44 AM)bravado Wrote:
(10-04-2023, 10:33 AM)neonjoe Wrote: John Shortreed needs a new hobby...

He already has a great hobby: calling developers greedy while he waits for his own property to keep gaining in value.

I suppose that he has moved on from his LRT bashing hobby!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »