Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
What's the name for the recently released app that recommends cycling routes around the tri-cities based on crowdsourced ratings?

There were traffic signals at the southbound 85 exit to Bridgeport about 10-12 years ago, but they didn't last more than a year or two. I recall the stop line for eastbound traffic was at an awkward location and it wasn't quite clear if traffic to the highway should treat it as a right on red scenario or just wait it out.
(09-17-2022, 10:26 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I suspect that the suggestion that people on SB 85 accessing the bridgeport area can just get off at University and use surface streets would be considered unthinkable by most engineers and much of council. But that's actually a relatively minor detour. We need to start having serious conversations about this kind of limitation. The idea of making a trip a few minutes longer in order to make our roads safer and saner should be an easy win...

I’m pessimistic, but not quite that pessimistic. Something similar was done at Northfield for the LRT — certain movements are simply not allowed anymore (leading to the could-have-been possibility of a centre bike path on Northfield).

Thinking more about the Bridgeport situation, however, I’m actually thinking that putting the bicycle path (2-way) on the south side might actually work. As it is, the only part of the interchange which would cross the bike path is the east to south onramp; but that could be closed and people making that movement could instead turn left onto the other existing onramp.

This would also eliminate an instance of onramp and offramp (Lancaster) being too close together.

The biggest problem I see is that the bike path on the rest of Erb St. is on the north side, and would have to cross to the south side somewhere west of the interchange. Whereas a north side bikepath on Erb St. is already between the eastbound (Erb) and westbound (Bridgeport) lanes.
(09-18-2022, 01:11 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-17-2022, 10:26 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I suspect that the suggestion that people on SB 85 accessing the bridgeport area can just get off at University and use surface streets would be considered unthinkable by most engineers and much of council. But that's actually a relatively minor detour. We need to start having serious conversations about this kind of limitation. The idea of making a trip a few minutes longer in order to make our roads safer and saner should be an easy win...

I’m pessimistic, but not quite that pessimistic. Something similar was done at Northfield for the LRT — certain movements are simply not allowed anymore (leading to the could-have-been possibility of a centre bike path on Northfield).

Thinking more about the Bridgeport situation, however, I’m actually thinking that putting the bicycle path (2-way) on the south side might actually work. As it is, the only part of the interchange which would cross the bike path is the east to south onramp; but that could be closed and people making that movement could instead turn left onto the other existing onramp.

This would also eliminate an instance of onramp and offramp (Lancaster) being too close together.

The biggest problem I see is that the bike path on the rest of Erb St. is on the north side, and would have to cross to the south side somewhere west of the interchange. Whereas a north side bikepath on Erb St. is already between the eastbound (Erb) and westbound (Bridgeport) lanes.

I mean...leaving aside provincial involvement for a sec, the LRT is a completely different beast. It's clear there's vastly more investment and vastly more political will for major changes. I don't think it's entirely comparable, but it's a fair point, it isn't without precedent.

I actually came here to also mention the south side option. Removing the single slip ramp on the south and replacing it with a new ramp with a left turn is entirely possible. Leaving aside the province again, it's probably a lot more achievable, regional engineers probably wouldn't have a big issue with it. I will say that they probably SHOULD have a big issue with it. Making a right slip ramp into a left turn at an uncontrolled and high speed intersection significantly increases the danger for people in cars (which, as much as it is a problem we want to solve, is still the majority of people) so this probably makes the road less safe. But of course, safety isn't actually a regional engineering priority...so...they probably wouldn't see that as an obstacle.

But you're right, this is unfortunately in conflict with the design further up the road and would require a crossing (or a major reconfiguration/rebuilt farther back).

Ultimately, I'm not sure what solution I like better, but if I had to guess the regional engineers will recommend putting it on the south side and just cross the slip ramp the way they did on King S. It's probably the least bad option that imposes no restrictions on drivers and requires no provincial buy in, and regional engineers won't even think about the delay imposed on cyclists by crossing the road (they'll have a bigger issue with the shift in the vehicle lanes that such a design will cause).
‘The more bike lanes, the better’: Erb-Bridgeport corridor to see major expansion in Waterloo
The public consultation docs can be found here:

https://www.engagewr.ca/waterloocycling (click: Review the presentation materials.)

I am absolutely shocked by the level of detail presented here. I kinda assumed that these were all fairly conceptual, but they've more or less put together a level of design for each option similar to what I would do in Google Maps...which is pretty extensive.

I can see a lot of influence from Kornel Musci here. I'm shocked that they are considering removing a lot of slip lanes and even signalising slip lanes. This is worlds different from the kind of thing the region was building even 2 years ago....so...I'm impressed.

I think given the more clear design, I actually prefer Option 1 now. While it does have more conflicts, because they are willing to remove the slip lanes they are at intersections so I think it's probably a safer and smoother experience for cyclists (no shifting lanes from one side to the other). I still suspect they will go with Option 2 given that it has less impacts on drivers, but I remain surprise and impressed.

If they do go with option 2, I do wonder what kind of driver compliance we will see at the red light for the slip lane. Drivers are not accustomed to stopping at signals on slip lanes...I can see a lot of drivers just blasting through the red.

But yeah, I'm impressed at this point. Of course, we've also yet to see it built (or even funded...and significant funding will be needed).

I do suspect they also haven't engaged with the province or any structural engineers yet. It's no guarantee that the province will allow them to remove the slip lanes, and their proposal for the trail under the bridge I suspect is kind of wishful thinking. I would love to see the bike path on the protected side of the crash barrier, but there is not enough space under the bridge abutments to place it.

In my completely non-structural engineer opinion, it should be possible to use a combination of raising the trail and installing retaining walls to make the space, but I neither know the technical possibility nor cost of doing that. I do know that such an option was deemed impossible for the LRT bridge under Weber St. which is why the Market Trail (Phase 2) does not follow the tracks and instead follows Parkside.
(09-19-2022, 03:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I would love to see the bike path on the protected side of the crash barrier, but there is not enough space under the bridge abutments to place it.

In my completely non-structural engineer opinion, it should be possible to use a combination of raising the trail and installing retaining walls to make the space, but I neither know the technical possibility nor cost of doing that. I do know that such an option was deemed impossible for the LRT bridge under Weber St. which is why the Market Trail (Phase 2) does not follow the tracks and instead follows Parkside.

I think your idea should work. Maybe not a particularly wide trail but something usable. They actually propose this in Option 1, but for some reason not in Option 2.

I agree with you that Option 1 looks like the best idea in the balance.

(09-17-2022, 12:29 PM)Bytor Wrote: What's the name for the recently released app that recommends cycling routes around the tri-cities based on crowdsourced ratings?

https://www.cyclingguide.app/

Incidentally, KWLUG is hosting a presentation from David Trueman about the app on Nov 7. I am hoping that some of the bike enthusiasts in the region will attend. https://kwlug.org/node/1297
Sure, there’s lots we don't know about e-bikes. But what we do know sounds pretty good
ANALYSIS: The e-bike revolution is coming to Ontario — and experts say governments should help pave the way
The cyclist counter has been turned on at King & Water St. This was taken yesterday evening, on a rainy sub-10 degree day, for reference.

I tried to find general traffic counts for Water St, but only found it for other streets. Does anyone know if this is available, or is it only collected for certain streets?

[Image: I3eQLef.jpg]
(10-18-2022, 02:28 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I tried to find general traffic counts for Water St, but only found it for other streets. Does anyone know if this is available, or is it only collected for certain streets?

Traffic counts

Open Data format for the Kitchener subset https://rowopendata-rmw.opendata.arcgis....91%2C13.17

Full PDF list from 2015: https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/livin...ations.pdf
(10-18-2022, 02:28 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: The cyclist counter has been turned on at King & Water St. This was taken yesterday evening, on a rainy sub-10 degree day, for reference.

I tried to find general traffic counts for Water St, but only found it for other streets. Does anyone know if this is available, or is it only collected for certain streets?

[Image: I3eQLef.jpg]

When did it start counting? When the detectors were installed this past summer? Also, where are the detectors?
(10-18-2022, 09:30 PM)Bytor Wrote: Traffic counts

Open Data format for the Kitchener subset https://rowopendata-rmw.opendata.arcgis....91%2C13.17

I came across that PDF, but I guess that map verifies only a subset of streets have data.

(10-18-2022, 09:32 PM)Bytor Wrote: When did it start counting? When the detectors were installed this past summer? Also, where are the detectors?

I walk by frequently, and only noticed it on yesterday. It's possible I didn't notice it being on for a week or two I guess?

They started installing it probably 2+ months ago (cutting open the sidewalk), and the sign had been installed but not on about a month ago IIRC. I imagine it didn't start counting until the sign was turned on as presumably the sign itself keeps track, so I would wager this is ~7-14 days of data.

I will have to check next time where the detectors are.

I was going to go and check it out just now to see what the numbers say, but it is raining and I am just getting over covid-19, so maybe another day.
(10-18-2022, 09:44 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(10-18-2022, 09:30 PM)Bytor Wrote: Traffic counts

I came across that PDF, but I guess that map verifies only a subset of streets have data.

I believe the counts are only for regional roads.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »