Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(04-21-2022, 04:36 PM)ac3r Wrote: Let's hope it does okay. Flair is at risk of having its license pulled because it appears it's not actually a Canadian airline. And, Pivot Airlines is now embroiled in a scandal after being caught by the National Drug Control Directorate of the Dominican Republic after attempting to smuggle 210 kilograms of cocaine into Canada. Certainly not good press to have after announcing a multimillion dollar airport expansion that largely happened due to both of these airlines, both of who are now going to be caught up in very expensive legal troubles for many years.

Do the events in DR have any bearing on Pivot’s domestic plan?

In Flair’s case we may be looking at weeks rather than years.

Considering they're a brand new airline with little money and only 1 aircraft which is currently seized by the government for the investigation. The crew is I believe still detained and could be held up to 1 year while the investigation happens, not to mention potential prison time. Thee airline is in quite a mess right now.
It's hard to tell from the pictures attached to the CTV story, but are there any windows in the new domestic arrivals area? Or it simply a big box with no natural light?
(04-21-2022, 11:23 PM)nms Wrote: It's hard to tell from the pictures attached to the CTV story, but are there any windows in the new domestic arrivals area? Or it simply a big box with no natural light?

I wondered the same thing. It kind of looks like they put a luggage carousel in a warehouse.

From the images in the CityNews article it appears that the only natural light comes from the glass exit doors.
After I posted my question, I tried to think of other Canadian airports that I've been and I realized that there was a range of light available in the baggage carousels. Hopefully something can be done to make the walls a little more interesting and not just "Welcome to our Warehouse".
Charlottetown's a lightless box. Winnipeg has some light, IIRC, but it feels like you're at the bottom of a silo.
(04-25-2022, 08:02 PM)nms Wrote: After I posted my question, I tried to think of other Canadian airports that I've been and I realized that there was a range of light available in the baggage carousels.  Hopefully something can be done to make the walls a little more interesting and not just "Welcome to our Warehouse".

If you're flying Flair, there's no expectation of light ....  Smile

Flair (assuming they stay in business) is introducing twice weekly YKF - YUL flights, beginning in July.

https://storage.googleapis.com/flyflair-...1e566f.pdf
(05-06-2022, 05:40 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Flair (assuming they stay in business) is introducing twice weekly YKF - YUL flights, beginning in July.

https://storage.googleapis.com/flyflair-...1e566f.pdf

This is a heck of a great bit of news if they don't implode... I've been trying to convince my American wife to go visit Montreal but the train is absurdly expensive (but my favourite) and that drive is miserable.
https://www.therecord.com/business/2022/...ments.html

There’s a whole bunch of bullshit from WestJet/Swoop in this article. For example,

“Cummings said Swoop, which WestJet announced in 2017, was in its infancy at the time. However, Swoop and WestJet did not participate primarily “on principle,” he said.”
On the principal that we are only interested in extinguishing nascent competition...
Flair got exclusivity by making a commitment at YKF. Pretty much the same scenario as Porter at Billy Bishop.
Yeah, I think exclusivity was a great move by the airport. Costs very little to give but can be very valuable to a new airline.

There’s just something so irritating listening to a big dominant player complaining about something like this. WestJet’s flown out of here for years - it’s not like they didn’t know about the airport. And the complaints are so disingenuous I actually think the Record should have added more context around why nobody should give any credence to what Swoop is saying.

Canada sure loves transportation monopolies it seems. Greygound had pretty good control over bus routes in Southern Ontario (maybe all of Canada? I'm not sure). Flair has YKF. porter has Billy Bishop. Bombardier often wins awards for contracts as there are often stipulations on projects that X% must be done by Canadian companies. I'm no capitalist but if the free market is free, then anyone should be allowed to operate a business and the best ones will prevail over the others.
(05-28-2022, 10:05 AM)ac3r Wrote: Flair has YKF

Flair only has YKF because it's impossible for a small/upstart airline to survive in Canada otherwise.  The big airlines will often SWOOP in and undercut them at a loss until the threat goes out of business.  It should be illegal but in Canada we're okay with that I guess.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »