Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
I mean, sure, but most people are more swayed by the potential of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

My guess is that there were other reasons they couldn't sell.

Either way, we'll be in town then, I might check them out, if I'm willing to find my way over to the boardwalk without a car.

Given it's a retirement sale, they presumably feel comfortable in their financial situation.
Always hated their Boardwalk location, but it was probably close to the demographic of people who have the money to spend there. Also probably they felt some competition from MEC Kitchener (which has a far better location).
New competition recently opened just a few doors down, as the Boardwalk now has an LL Bean outlet.
(11-07-2023, 06:50 PM)KevinL Wrote: New competition recently opened just a few doors down, as the Boardwalk now has an LL Bean outlet.

Typically you don't see actual technical gear at LL Bean but they do have the clothing that people buy...
They don't compete in every category, yes, but there's decent overlap.
I passed Stanley Park Mall earlier and am surprised at how fast the Canadian Tire is going up. I'd bet it'll be open before summer 2024. Still unsure what store it is intended to replace - if any. It's so close to the one on Fairway, but if they were closing that old ghetto one on Victoria that would make sense. But perhaps they just wanted to expand and aren't planning on closing any? I think they're still doing pretty good. The stock price crashed down from its March and August highs of 180~ a share and is sitting around 140~ now but the overall their revenue is still great and 12 out of 13 financial analysts on the Yahoo Finance website are giving the stock 10 Buy ratings, 2 Strong Buy ratings and 1 ranks it Hold. They're still one of the best companies in Canada which is great to see.

(11-08-2023, 04:22 PM)ac3r Wrote: I passed Stanley Park Mall earlier and am surprised at how fast the Canadian Tire is going up. I'd bet it'll be open before summer 2024. Still unsure what store it is intended to replace - if any. It's so close to the one on Fairway, but if they were closing that old ghetto one on Victoria that would make sense. But perhaps they just wanted to expand and aren't planning on closing any? I think they're still doing pretty good. The stock price crashed down from its March and August highs of 180~ a share and is sitting around 140~ now but the overall their revenue is still great and 12 out of 13 financial analysts on the Yahoo Finance website are giving the stock 10 Buy ratings, 2 Strong Buy ratings and 1 ranks it Hold. They're still one of the best companies in Canada which is great to see.

It's definitely replacing the Victoria Street location, but I wouldn't say they're in expansion mode as they've announced today they're laying off 3% of their workforce.
(10-23-2023, 03:04 PM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(10-23-2023, 09:12 AM)Chris Wrote: Noticed that the Ultramar at Weber and Union looks to be currently closed. The driveways are blocked off and the On the Go retail store is mostly empty except for a shelf or two.

I'm almost certain it's being turned into a Pioneer, especially now that you mentioned a On the run being there. When Ultramar was open It was called Express Mart. I know the same company that owns Ultramar also owns Pioneer and they bought Husky and turned the Kitchener Husky locations into Pioneer with On the run.

Turns out I was wrong about gas station conversion The location is remaining an Ultramar and has reopened 🙂.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »