Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
(03-03-2023, 10:13 AM)Chris Wrote: Ziggy's has announced they are moving in their newsletter.

Moving Update!
Our BIG news is that we are moving at the end of March 2023. We are aiming to be in our new location 130 Weber St. W. Kitchener by the week of March 20th. Please stay tuned for updates as we will be sending a confirmation email regarding an opening date.

We will remain open in our current location until March 18th.

Thanks for your patience and continued support!

https://goo.gl/maps/a8dY7pYe6tdTxvVYA

I won't be surprised if their business suffers after they move from downtown. Braun's ended up going out of business after moving out of downtown.

Pretty good landing spot near the Spur Line and Weber MUT.
(03-03-2023, 10:37 AM)cherrypark Wrote: Pretty good landing spot near the Spur Line and Weber MUT.

Yeah, good bike access, not terrible. Terrible locations include Adventure Guide (I hate it) and Sabletine (annoying).
(03-03-2023, 10:37 AM)cherrypark Wrote: Pretty good landing spot near the Spur Line and Weber MUT.

Braun's was near the IHT, but it didn't help them.
(03-03-2023, 12:57 PM)Acitta Wrote:

I don't think that new Braun's location was a central as Weber and Breithaupt. Braun's also had other issues going on. When the bike world was swinging back to road bikes they were still firmly in the MTB camp and I think that really hurt them.

The couple times I went to the new Braun's location they also didn't have much in stock. It seemed like a empty shell of it's former self at that point. I also got lost and turned around in the area but that's more of a me issue than a Braun's issue. I had a heck of time trying to get there.
(03-03-2023, 03:24 PM)Chris Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 12:57 PM)Acitta Wrote: Braun's was near the IHT, but it didn't help them.

I don't think that new Braun's location was a central as Weber and Breithaupt. Braun's also had other issues going on. When the bike world was swinging back to road bikes they were still firmly in the MTB camp and I think that really hurt them.

The couple times I went to the new Braun's location they also didn't have much in stock. It seemed like a empty shell of it's former self at that point. I also got lost and turned around in the area but that's more of a me issue than a Braun's issue. I had a heck of time trying to get there.

You didn't cycle along the IHT?
(03-03-2023, 12:57 PM)Acitta Wrote:

Brauns from what I remember moved to that location as they wanted to be closer to future intensification that would come from ION, which still hasn't started.

They were a good shop, but location can mean a lot too depending on your target market.

Ziggy's hasn't always been downtown either - I remember them being on Old King before the highway was widened, and I'm willing to bet they have a loyal enough clientele that they won't have much to worry about.

Ziggy's has announced that their last day on King St. is March 18 and that they are having a soft opening at their new location on March 22.
I’m not sure if this is any indication on how fast Vanmar is moving on the development here. Being that the zone change hasn’t even been submitted yet, and that the ZBA and site plan takes almost a year to be approved at least. Maybe they wanted to move early based on other factors
(03-16-2023, 03:54 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: I’m not sure if this is any indication on how fast Vanmar is moving on the development here. Being that the zone change hasn’t even been submitted yet, and that the ZBA and site plan takes almost a year to be approved at least. Maybe they wanted to move early based on other factors

It may just be that Ziggy's saw an opportunity with the new location and decided to move now rather than waiting until they are forced to.
A note about the new Goodwill going in at the old Waterloo Chapters - it's a completely new location, the Kitchener store by Weber and Fergus will remain. I'd mistakenly assumed the Kitchener one was moving.
Old Goat Books in Uptown has a new owner. There had been an announcement that they were closing, but they will remain open.
One of the empty storefronts in Frederick Mall has signs advertising that Black Belt World will be opening in mid-June. Looks like it's a taekwondo studio with a couple places already open in the Toronto area. I think it's a good addition, actually! Hopefully it brings some more evening/weekend activity to the mall, and parents who drop their kids off for an hour will have time to shop the mall and ideally bring new business to it. Going to be located across from the CIBC, between Elegancia and the pharmacy.

https://taekwondo.ca/

Although it fills otherwise empty space, I always take it as a bad sign when things like gyms and dance studios start moving into a mall.
I'd rather a martial arts or dance studio to be somewhere relatively close to home instead of in the middle of an industrial park, like so many seem to be (lots of space for cheaper rent, I get it, doesn't mean I like it). It's so much nicer to be able to walk to activities like that, or for older kids to walk themselves and not be reliant on their parents for a ride. But yes, there's a few empty units in that mall right now, and it's good to see one that's been sitting empty for so long get a tenant.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »