Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
Thanks! Nice to see confirmation. 60,000 sqft is a bit smaller than a typical Canadian Tire store but not tiny. Of course, it's nowhere near as big as some of their new megastores, but it's also a semi-urban location.

https://www.covenmarket.com/

We are so excited to announce Coven is growing! Our second store is opening in downtown Kitchener, Ontario in January 2023 and we couldn’t be more thrilled about it! Located at 16 Charles St. W, the original location of Cafe Pyrus, we will have over 1000sq ft of vegan groceries, deli items, house made baked goods, and a hot grab and go station! We cant wait to share more with you as the opening draws closer!
(09-01-2022, 12:46 PM)creative Wrote: First Capital Real Estate Investment Trust (OTC:FCXXF) Q2 2022 Earnings Conference Call July 28, 2022 2:00 PM ET

“Some of the notable new large space deals we completed this quarter include a 60,000 square foot Canadian Tire lease at Stanley Park in Kitchener. Canadian Tire will pay market rent with escalations through their term.”

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4528068...s-earnings

It appears they're completely demolishing the Walmart and Canadian Tire will be a new build.

I suppose this news report belongs here.
Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro Inc. and Waterloo North Hydro merge
(09-09-2022, 06:00 PM)Acitta Wrote: I suppose this news report belongs here.
Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro Inc. and Waterloo North Hydro merge

I hope that this will be a good thing. The public ownership is unchanged but a single company for (most of) the region should be able to be more effective and efficient.
My only complaint is that the new power company name does not include any local connection (even dropping 'Hydro' which was a nod to the fact that the first power was coming from Niagara Falls hydropower). They are clearly aiming to grow between Waterloo Region's borders.
They're probably positioning themselves for further expansion. Alectra is a similarly generic-sounding municipally-owned utility.

The new Ikea 'plan and order point' has opened on Fairway (in the old Pier 1 unit near Marshalls). It's essentially just the showroom part of a full Ikea - nothing can be purchased there, it's just for browsing and for placing orders. Staff are available to assist with putting together multi-piece requests, like kitchens and wardrobes.

[Image: fqMHpeq.jpg]

[Image: wuweAIz.jpg]

[Image: 2W8MWei.jpg]
(10-16-2022, 11:29 AM)KevinL Wrote: The new Ikea 'plan and order point' has opened on Fairway (in the old Pier 1 unit near Marshalls). It's essentially just the showroom part of a full Ikea - nothing can be purchased there, it's just for browsing and for placing orders. Staff are available to assist with putting together multi-piece requests, like kitchens and wardrobes.

Does it have an order pickup area? And I have to ask about the Swedish meatballs. The old Ikea location in Kitchener had order pickup and also had a few carefully chosen food items available for purchase.
(10-16-2022, 03:49 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Does it have an order pickup area? And I have to ask about the Swedish meatballs. The old Ikea location in Kitchener had order pickup and also had a few carefully chosen food items available for purchase.

Nope, it's for placing online orders only. The pickup spot on Gage St is still operating, but no meatballs there either.
When attempting to get some furniture a few months ago, it was rare to see the option of shipping to the Gage location appear in the shipping options. It was more likely to show the only option being Curb and Carry in Ottawa than anything within a reasonable driving distance of here.
Well, Norris Bakery has been moved out of 460 Frederick Street for almost a year, but I can confirm that KW Flowers and Newtex are both cleared out of there as well. There's been storage containers there for weeks, but the storefronts are now totally empty. Hard to tell if the upstairs offices are all closed up too, but it seems likely - the Ontario Conservatory of Music appears to have moved to the Krug St plaza, at any rate.

There doesn't seem to be anything substantial online about what's happening here, except for this article from November 2021 that mentions the building might fall victim to the Highway 7 expansion project: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/i-m-going-t...-1.5670412
Seems like Lowes is leaving Canada and The Rona name will he making a major come back.
https://retail-insider.com/retail-inside...uity-firm/

(11-05-2022, 08:19 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: Seems like Lowes is leaving Canada and The Rona name will he making a major come back.
https://retail-insider.com/retail-inside...uity-firm/

I know that when they switched the Rona on Ottawa st to a Lowe's they spent millions replacing all of the racking and other systems within the store and that only happened 5/6 years ago so it's definitely not gonna switch back to a Rona soon maybe in a few years, all of the Canadian Lowe's are switching to the Rona computer system which has been happening for the last few months.
Lowe's paid $3.2B for RONA/Reno-Depot -- and sold them for about $530M, on top of having spent more than $1B on store renovations. Happy to have a Canadian brand back, even if owned by a US investment company, but grateful to Lowe's for having injected that much into the Canadian economy in the past 15 years or so.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »