Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ira Needles Boulevard Widening
I guess this would be a good place to talk about the Ira Needles road expansion that's almost done?  When it's completed will it still be over capacity?

Why for such a new road did they not realize the future growth of the area and build it to handle current and projected capacity.    I thought they had experts who did transportation studies.  
(10-27-2014, 04:06 PM)rickhd Wrote: I thought they had experts who did transportation studies.  

They were otherwise engaged planning the LRT. (Sorry, couldn't resist Wink)
(10-27-2014, 04:06 PM)rickhd Wrote: Why for such a new road did they not realize the future growth of the area and build it to handle current and projected capacity.    I thought they had experts who did transportation studies.  

The planners requested a four lane road. It was voted down by council under pressure of eminent lights like Jeff Outhit from the Record, who decided on their own there was no need for more than two lanes.
The upswing is that Fischer-Hallman is usually much nicer to drive on these days.
I haven't been on Ira Needles in a week or two but the parts that are widened are quite nice to drive through. A full two lanes between traffic circles is really great.
Constructuion crews have been working on widening Ira Needles up to just past Erb.

There is going to be a new roundabout at the north end, which I think is definitely needed. Many of the curb are in for the roundabout, I'm not sure, but it looks like maybe it has a bypass lane for northbound Ira Needeles like this: http://www.canadianconsultingengineer.co...MI0001.jpg

(08-04-2016, 09:10 AM)curiouschair Wrote: Constructuion crews have been working on widening Ira Needles up to just past Erb.

There is going to be a new roundabout at the north end, which I think is definitely needed. Many of the curb are in for the roundabout, I'm not sure, but it looks like maybe it has a bypass lane for northbound Ira Needeles like this: http://www.canadianconsultingengineer.co...MI0001.jpg

At the north end.... of The Boardwalk?

Which intersection is being converted to a roundabout? The one in front of the medical centre, or "Lifestyle Way" at the Milestones?
Isn't this for the new Costco?
Thorndale/Ira Needles is being converted. If anything, it would be the southbound lanes getting a bypass.
I would hope that Thorndale would be a full movement intersection! (With a new access into the north end of The Boardwalk)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »