Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galt Post Office renovation | completed
(04-08-2019, 03:57 PM)urbd Wrote:
(04-07-2019, 09:48 AM)panamaniac Wrote: A good piece on the finished building by the Globe and Mail architecture critic:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/art...few-books/

What an amazing project. Cambridge has a very cool vision for libraries, starting by calling them Idea Exhange instead of public libraries. A real multi-use community hub. Awesome!

I believe this is to avoid Doug Ford's library cuts... DoFo has no idea what an Idea (or Idea Exchange) is, so he'll leave that funding alone...

Coke

That is quite funny. Although I feel your giving Cambridge more credit than is due.
I believe this can be moved to ‘Complete’ now as well? Unless there is still on-going work I’m unaware of..
(04-30-2019, 06:52 PM)gomesjustin Wrote: I believe this can be moved to ‘Complete’ now as well? Unless there is still on-going work I’m unaware of..

Done! And here is a photo (courtesy of G&M) of the finished project.

[Image: M7EOSIASWZELDMUV2OMJSOGULE.tif]
Amazing! Thank you for sharing!
Such a major change. Well done!
(05-01-2019, 12:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 06:52 PM)gomesjustin Wrote: I believe this can be moved to ‘Complete’ now as well? Unless there is still on-going work I’m unaware of..

Done! And here is a photo (courtesy of G&M) of the finished project.

[Image: M7EOSIASWZELDMUV2OMJSOGULE.tif]

Amazing. When will Waterloo Public Library catch up to this kind of space? Imagine something like this in the Uptown branch. Ugh, they could've used the old post office building in Uptown for this Sad what a wasted opportunity.

[Image: B8888733Z.1_20180312172418_000_GGS3SVON....rtrait.jpg]

^ this should've been WPL, but we're getting another office building instead.

Not nearly enough space for the current library, and it needs more space, not less. If they sacrifice some parking or their setback along Albert, they could expand on-site, I think.
I assumed people meant as an annex to the existing WPL, not a replacement. Clearly it's too small to serve on its own as the central library.
Ah. That seems a bit impractical, to me - to split the services into two buildings just a block or so apart.
As Cambridge has done ...
(05-03-2019, 02:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: Ah. That seems a bit impractical, to me - to split the services into two buildings just a block or so apart.

(05-03-2019, 04:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote: As Cambridge has done ...

Yeah, but maybe the King St portion could function as the more interactive/multipurpose space and the Albert one could remain as the traditional library space.
I'm so happy to see that these buildings are being maintained and renovated.
Congrats to all those involved.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »