Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections
Top 10 Most Dangerous Intersections
From the Region of Waterloo's Annual Collision Report

Links:
2013 Collision Regional Collision Report
2013 Collision Ranking - Top 100

2013 List:

The most dangerous intersection in 2013 in the Region - Ottawa Street South at Homer Watson Boulevard in Kitchener
[Image: cvWWxTip.jpg]
Image from @tawsii on Twitter

The remaining top 10:

2. Franklin Boulevard at Can-Amera Parkway in Cambridge

3. Homer Watson Boulevard at Manitou Drive/Doon Village Road in Kitchener 

4. Franklin Boulevard at Elgin Street/Saginaw Parkway in Cambridge

5. Franklin Boulevard at Pinebush Road in Cambridge

6. Ottawa Street at Fischer-Hallman Road in Kitchener 

7. King Street at Fountain Street in Cambridge

8. Hespeler Road at Bishop Street in Cambridge

9. Ottawa Street at Westmount Road in Kitchener

10. Franklin Boulevard between Clyde Road (Samuelson Street) and Savage Drive in Cambridge

Hasnt Ottawa/Homer Watson been number one for a number of years in a row?

While a roundabout will indeed make cars slow down, it doesn't help things for pedestrians or cyclists.
Since plans for that roundabout and the nearby one at Ottawa/Alpine were announced, I've been trying to imagine how things will work. Given the problems (i.e. ineptitude and willful ignorance) of many local drivers, I have trouble imagining that such a busy roundabout could function in K-W. It might seem crazy, but I would be inclined to include traffic lights in the case of that roundabout.
(11-09-2014, 10:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Since plans for that roundabout and the nearby one at Ottawa/Alpine were announced, I've been trying to imagine how things will work.  Given the problems (i.e. ineptitude and willful ignorance) of many local drivers, I have trouble imagining that such a busy roundabout could function in K-W.  It might seem crazy, but I would be inclined to include traffic lights in the case of that roundabout.

Not crazy at all.  A few of years ago, when I was in Tunis, Tunisia, a number of roundabouts had traffic lights and traffic cops.  Roundabouts reduce the severity of accidents and they are supposed to be less expensive than traffic lights but sometimes, depending on circumstances, you need all three. 
One thing that's really striking from the list is just how many are on Franklin Boulevard. It will remain to be seen if the roundabout proposal for that road will solve this. 

After the roundabouts are in, it will likely become similar to Ira Needles in the number and frequency of roundabouts, but clearly, Franklin Boulevard carries a higher volume of traffic than Ira Needles.
...and a lot more transport trucks. I work in that area and while I love Roundabouts, I'm a bit worried about how that whole stretch will turn out.
Here's why round abouts do not work for heavy traffic intersections:

[Image: traffic.jpg]

Now that's just a free for all! hah.
Fortunately, the plan for Ottawa/Homer Watson doesn't call for 6 lanes.
I'd call that more of a traffic circle than a roundabout, anyway. You could just as easily title it "This is why cars don't work for dense cities." Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »