Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conestoga Parkway
It needs a : between the http and the // in the URL.

But I can't find any such book by a Bill Thomson or William Thomson.

I picked up the book last night but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I think they had one copy left, so you might want to grab it if you're interested.
(01-28-2015, 08:04 PM)jamincan Wrote: I picked up the book last night but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I think they had one copy left, so you might want to grab it if you're interested.

Do you know the name of the book?
The Conestoga Parkway: vision to reality with some stories and events along the way. Bill Thomson. 2014.

I think it is probably self-published. It was printed at Pandora Print Shop in Kitchener.
Since the book is being sold on commission by Words Worth Books, they don't have it in their online system which is managed by a third party.

Bill Thomson sounds like the kind of person who it would be interesting to have a cup of coffee with. There are quite a few bits where I wish he'd added more detail about some of the discussions. If you wondered about oddly places street fragments, this book sheds some light on where they came from. I didn't realize, for instance, that the current WRDSB office on Ardelt used to be a shoe factory, that one of the initial dreams that was around in the early 1950s was to build a convention centre in the area, or that as part of the downtown Kitchener upgrades, that a King Street underpass was proposed and rejected.
The WRDSB is housed in the former Greb facility. I never liked it as a location for the school board, which I believe should have been located Downtown.
The WRDSB is holding onto that land until we get an NHL team. Then they will be called geniuses for having such a large parcel of land next to the expressway and close enough to the existing LRT route to justify a detour. The Waterloo Engineers could be the team name and the Rigid tool could be their team logo.

If anyone hasn't been down that way, the widening work is well under way at Homer Watson with the new pillars already in place for the most part.

Work at the neighbouring Ottawa South underpass began this week with the removal of the median; it's being replaced with temporary asphalt to allow lane diversions.
The eastbound highway lanes over Homer Watson were demolished yesterday.
Noticed the other night that after months of having the high-mast lighting poles up on the rebuilt portion of Hwy 8, lighting has finally been turned on, and the old street lights that lined the sides of the highway have been deactivated. Will be nice to see those janky old things finally taken down Smile
Is this the newest re-built stretch from Sportsworld to the Grand River?

Because that high-mast lighting has been functional for years since it has been rebuilt (only talking from a daily Hwy. 8 commuter experience)
I presume GtwoK is talking about the King to Homer-Watson section.
Or the section between Courtland and Fischer-Hallman?

er, uh, whatever is being worked on these days! Smile
I don't drive out there very much, I just remember being stuck in a traffic jam around Courtland last year.
Sorry, I thought it was more well-known what was being worked on - yes the Fischer Hallman - Courtland section is what I was referring to!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »