Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Target Canada
That's a typical liquidation tactic. The liquidation isn't run by Target but by a professional liquidator. They know how to get the most out of these things.

(02-25-2015, 07:46 PM)BrianT Wrote: I was in the Waterloo Target on the weekend and there weren't many people there. It looks like they have jacked up their prices so they can afford to give you a 20 or 30% discount. In the end it's not much of a bargain. I didn't buy anything.

Worse, because it's a liquidation there are no returns and no warranty (apart perhaps from what the manufacturer may offer.) So you pay as much or more, get less selection and no recourse if there's a problem. What's not to like? Wink

(02-26-2015, 07:38 PM)JoeKW Wrote: That's a typical liquidation tactic.  The liquidation isn't run by Target but by a professional liquidator.  They know how to get the most out of these things.

Correct. The same thing happened with the Zellers liquidation. By the time they started offering significant discounts the shelves were bare, the selection was sparse and what remained had been rifled through so it was no longer worth the effort of looking for possible bargains. 

ISTM they could have got to the same point in a day or two if they'd started with 50% on everything. That would have generated less revenue but their costs would have been reduced as a result of lower labour costs and overheads. But what do I know?
According to the Globe and Mail, the Conestoga Mall Target is one of the "premium" leases that Ivanhoe Cambridge has acquired. Future site for a Nordstrom, perhaps?
(03-03-2015, 10:15 PM)panamaniac Wrote: According to the Globe and Mail, the Conestoga Mall Target is one of the "premium" leases that Ivanhoe Cambridge has acquired.  Future site for a Nordstrom, perhaps?

I think a Simons would be more in line for this Region. They have some aggressive expansion plans for Canada, envisioning a network up to 20 stores. Being the 10th largest CMA in Canada, Waterloo Region should fit their location requirements.

I don't think we're large enough of a market for a Nordstrom, especially with Toronto getting 3 stores.
You're probably right - I kind of figured Simons might find a home at Fairview when Sears buys the farm, but it would be a good fit for Conestoga as well.
The Strasburg Rd loacation closes on Sunday. I checked it out today and the store was approximately 80% blocked off and the pickings were quite slim.
(03-19-2015, 09:27 PM)neonjoe Wrote: The Strasburg Rd loacation closes on Sunday. I checked it out today and the store was approximately 80% blocked off and the pickings were quite slim.

Ironically I was at the Conestoga Mall location last night and the store was overflowing with stock. I wonder why the're deciding to keep that location open the longest.

Perhaps that location actually has customers. The Kitchener Target never experienced that.
It means that we buy more at higher prices than the other stores. If a store wasn't able to move as much product at as high a price as another store, you just close the underperforming liquidation site and relocate merchandise to the other location, to get a better return on the liquidation.
Heard on the news that the final closing dates of May 15th is being moved forward a month. Conestoga Mall was suppose to close May 15th. They say stock is moving faster than anticipated.
Target Waterloo is now Closed, today was there last day everything was 90% off and then 98% off around 6:30PM, it's sad that Target gave up to fast IMO, call me crazy but I liked the store.
TMKM94 is crazy.
(04-08-2015, 11:21 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: it's sad that Target gave up to fast IMO
How much longer and how many more $billions should they have spent before finally giving up?

Target in the states is pretty nice but they really dropped the ball in Canada.
What the Conestoga Mall Target location will not be:

Canadian Tire

Walmart

What it might be (but probably not)

Lowes