Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
It's possible that part of the approvals for the subdivision involved the construction of the path. The land wouldn't necessarily need to be turned over to the City, especially if the condo corporation was responsible for maintaining it. That said, it's also possible that's not the case.

Private property or not it seems real lame to put a fence up. I'd love if the city could intervene and say, yeah sorry, take it down but that would probably be a headache.

I'm sure people jump over it all the time anyway, I know I would. It's really only trespassing if you're told to leave. What someone doesn't know can't hurt them.
(07-06-2022, 01:02 PM)ac3r Wrote: Private property or not it seems real lame to put a fence up. I'd love if the city could intervene and say, yeah sorry, take it down but that would probably be a headache.

I'm sure people jump over it all the time anyway, I know I would. It's really only trespassing if you're told to leave. What someone doesn't know can't hurt them.

I'm pretty sure trespassing is much broader than that. You don't have to be told to leave, I would guess you only need to have a reasonable expectation that you know you shouldn't be there. A fence would almost certainly qualify.
(07-06-2022, 02:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 01:02 PM)ac3r Wrote: Private property or not it seems real lame to put a fence up. I'd love if the city could intervene and say, yeah sorry, take it down but that would probably be a headache.

I'm pretty sure trespassing is much broader than that. You don't have to be told to leave, I would guess you only need to have a reasonable expectation that you know you shouldn't be there. A fence would almost certainly qualify.

Fences would qualify. The Trespass to Property act in Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90t21
(07-06-2022, 02:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

Yes but if you're hopping a fence you already don't care, that's what I mean. If I was walking on this trail and needed to get to the street, I'd jump over it. Doesn't matter how many signs they have.
The proper solution to this would be the city using the already existing cart path through the golf course - which already connects to the WB Trail and is only adjacent to some putting greens - to link the road and the trail without forcing a long walk to the trail head at the club house. This wouldn't even cost much as there is little new pavement to add on either end.

Of course, that would require sullying the sanctity of the golf course having the riff raff passing by, though.
(07-07-2022, 01:02 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 02:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm pretty sure trespassing is much broader than that. You don't have to be told to leave, I would guess you only need to have a reasonable expectation that you know you shouldn't be there. A fence would almost certainly qualify.

Yes but if you're hopping a fence you already don't care, that's what I mean. If I was walking on this trail and needed to get to the street, I'd jump over it. Doesn't matter how many signs they have.

You not caring, does not make it "not trespassing" was the point.

(07-07-2022, 01:45 PM)cherrypark Wrote: The proper solution to this would be the city using the already existing cart path through the golf course - which already connects to the WB Trail and is only adjacent to some putting greens - to link the road and the trail without forcing a long walk to the trail head at the club house. This wouldn't even cost much as there is little new pavement to add on either end.

Of course, that would require sullying the sanctity of the golf course having the riff raff passing by, though.

The golf enterprise already refused to play ball with this kind of setup for the Rockway Golf course and the Iron Horse Trail.
(07-08-2022, 01:19 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 01:45 PM)cherrypark Wrote: The proper solution to this would be the city using the already existing cart path through the golf course - which already connects to the WB Trail and is only adjacent to some putting greens - to link the road and the trail without forcing a long walk to the trail head at the club house. This wouldn't even cost much as there is little new pavement to add on either end.

The golf enterprise already refused to play ball with this kind of setup for the Rockway Golf course and the Iron Horse Trail.

Aren’t the golf courses owned by the City of Kitchener? If so, they should simply be ordered by Council to fall in line. If there is some reason why a golf course is incompatible with the trail, the golf course should leave. That land is more valuable as park than specifically golf course anyway.
(07-08-2022, 02:24 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-08-2022, 01:19 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: The golf enterprise already refused to play ball with this kind of setup for the Rockway Golf course and the Iron Horse Trail.

Aren’t the golf courses owned by the City of Kitchener? If so, they should simply be ordered by Council to fall in line. If there is some reason why a golf course is incompatible with the trail, the golf course should leave. That land is more valuable as park than specifically golf course anyway.

I mean, that was my argument. But obviously staff cannot ask council to do that. The public could. But golf enterprise staff say "it's a safety risk", which seems like an entirely manageable risk, but it's pretty obvious the simply don't want to.  It's the same reason I'm out of work right now lol.
Somehow the bike trail around Grey Silo has managed to intersect with the golf cart paths without any kind of mass carnage occurring...
The trail that starts at Lawrence Ave. along the creek/canal and runs through to Filsinger Park has been paved, it looks like it goes all the way to the corner of F-H and Highland. The east approach to the subway under Westmount is still cobblestones and stonedust though, don't know if there is any plan to fix that up.
(07-12-2022, 03:42 PM)clasher Wrote: The trail that starts at Lawrence Ave. along the creek/canal and runs through to Filsinger Park has been paved, it looks like it goes all the way to the corner of F-H and Highland. The east approach to the subway under Westmount is still cobblestones and stonedust though, don't know if there is any plan to fix that up.

Last time I heard, there were not plans to improve the underpass, but instead the region is creating a level crossing with an island. You know, crossing 5 lane roads is very safe /s.

I'm not really sure what the solution is for the underpass though. There are a number of improvements that could be made, but it's very narrow, I don't know that it could be made safe feeling without rebuilding it.

(07-13-2022, 01:27 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 03:42 PM)clasher Wrote: The trail that starts at Lawrence Ave. along the creek/canal and runs through to Filsinger Park has been paved, it looks like it goes all the way to the corner of F-H and Highland. The east approach to the subway under Westmount is still cobblestones and stonedust though, don't know if there is any plan to fix that up.

Last time I heard, there were not plans to improve the underpass, but instead the region is creating a level crossing with an island. You know, crossing 5 lane roads is very safe /s.

I'm not really sure what the solution is for the underpass though. There are a number of improvements that could be made, but it's very narrow, I don't know that it could be made safe feeling without rebuilding it.

They could start with it not being lit in a comedically spooky manner. I don't know the history of it, but honestly it's like they tried to make it feel unsafe.
Proper lights would be a definite improvement, right now it looks like something from a 1980s movie set. Surely there are some good LED fixtures that would work to actually light it entirely. The approach on the east side where there are still cobbles could use a re-grading to make it a bit shallower of a grade but that'd be a bit of work to move dirt around and perhaps reshape that side of the creek a little bit.

Crossing Westmount there seems kind of dangerous even with an island, sometimes when I'm riding to the hydrocut I'll play around in the unofficial trails on the other side of the creek and cross Westmount where the little white apartments are, but it's only feasible for me in the off-hours, traffic is too heavy at peak times to think it'd be safe.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »