Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
(07-12-2022, 03:42 PM)clasher Wrote: The trail that starts at Lawrence Ave. along the creek/canal and runs through to Filsinger Park has been paved, it looks like it goes all the way to the corner of F-H and Highland. The east approach to the subway under Westmount is still cobblestones and stonedust though, don't know if there is any plan to fix that up.

Has it been paved along the "unofficial" path along the creek or over the hill? Going up / down that hill is an ordeal.

As a tall person with an appropriately sized bike, I'm always biking through the tunnel ducking low to avoid decapitating myself.

The lighting in the tunnel is a known issue, but the lights get vandalized pretty often apparently.

I think they are reluctant to spend money if the tunnel cannot be made acceptable.

I agree a level crossing of Westmount is not great either...like all things, it's going to cost money.
(07-13-2022, 09:23 AM)timio Wrote: Has it been paved along the "unofficial" path along the creek or over the hill? Going up / down that hill is an ordeal.

The paved path runs along the canal and is pancake flat. They did grade/scrape the gravel on the path going up the hill but it's still stonedust.
(07-03-2022, 03:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: But, leaving aside entirely the risk, 9 times out of 10, drivers who yield improperly actually delay me even if I was to go when they yield. Whether it's someone at a stop sign who doesn't go and then we all have to wait longer or the most infuriating, a driver at the tail end of a queue at a crossing who stops and now I miss an opportunity to cross both lanes...the overall goal of that reliable behaviour achieved from right of way laws (remember, safety is not a goal in transportation) is actually optimizing throughput. If I can anticipate when I will have the right of way, I can reach the intersection at the right time to proceed. Then I don't have to stop and slowly accelerate, and we all save time. This applies to driving and cycling and a little to walking.

Exactly this. I despise cycling on the Iron Horse trail because too many 'nice' drivers are making everything worse for everyone around them, including me.
Farmer's Market Trail has finally opened. There will be a ceremony at the market end tomorrow at 9:30AM. https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/1559912935878791173
That's exciting!
(08-17-2022, 11:42 AM)KevinL Wrote: Farmer's Market Trail has finally opened. There will be a ceremony at the market end tomorrow at 9:30AM. https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/1559912935878791173

I have been riding on it for months.

(08-17-2022, 11:42 AM)KevinL Wrote: Farmer's Market Trail has finally opened. There will be a ceremony at the market end tomorrow at 9:30AM. https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/1559912935878791173

"Northfield Station to Farmer’s Market Road" - Are there are still gaps on Parkside Dr in the connection to the Laurel Trail? It seemed only about half done when I checked in the spring.
(08-17-2022, 04:02 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:

"Northfield Station to Farmer’s Market Road" - Are there are still gaps on Parkside Dr in the connection to the Laurel Trail? It seemed only about half done when I checked in the spring.

There is a short gap from Glenelm Crescent to just the other side of Weber. However, there is a painted bike lane for that section. I don't know why they didn't do that part. Anyhow, the rest of it is completed.
Improvements mean year-round access, maintenance for multi-use trails in Kitchener
Portions of trails through Filsinger Park, Vanier neighbourhood being paved
(08-17-2022, 04:10 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 04:02 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: "Northfield Station to Farmer’s Market Road" - Are there are still gaps on Parkside Dr in the connection to the Laurel Trail? It seemed only about half done when I checked in the spring.

There is a short gap from Glenelm Crescent to just the other side of Weber. However, there is a painted bike lane for that section. I don't know why they didn't do that part. Anyhow, the rest of it is completed.

Today, I noticed a sign on a pole saying that that section will be completed in the future.
(08-18-2022, 05:40 PM)Acitta Wrote: Improvements mean year-round access, maintenance for multi-use trails in Kitchener
Portions of trails through Filsinger Park, Vanier neighbourhood being paved

It's nice to see Vanier get some love. I grew up in that neighbourhood before Connaught Pl existed, and it was a common (though hated for the dirt and weeds) cycle connection from the Rockway neighbourhood to Connaught St even back then. My wife pointed it out the other day when we were driving by the First/Eckert corner and said "Isn't that new?"
The Delta St dedicated trail and the MUT on Sydney St have finally been paved. Some landscaping remains but this is a great addition to the cycling network.

A bit further to the west, we also now have a sidewalk and MUT connection at Stirling Ave, Homer Watson Blvd and Lakeside Park. Once the (extended) Shoemaker Creek trail is opened this will make a very nice connection for the MUT trail network.

The IHT crossing through Courtland/Stirling is also currently under construction.

(09-07-2022, 10:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A bit further to the west, we also now have a sidewalk and MUT connection at Stirling Ave, Homer Watson Blvd and Lakeside Park. Once the (extended) Shoemaker Creek trail is opened this will make a very nice connection for the MUT trail network.

Is there a map/construction plans for this area? If I'm not mistaken, painted bike lanes were recently added to Stirling, so I'm assuming there are no fully separated connections here to the IHT?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »