Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
I don't suppose you could show me on a map where this is happening? I'm not quite I understand what infra is getting built here and where?

(09-08-2022, 12:35 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I don't suppose you could show me on a map where this is happening? I'm not quite I understand what infra is getting built here and where?

Assuming you mean his second post, his photos seem to be taken roughly here: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4308104,...384!8i8192

If you mean his first post, he is at either end of Delta St, near Rockway.

I'm interested in a map of what is being built though.
Sorry, I should have clarified, yes the second post. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Delta/Sydney work, it began before we left lol.

But yeah, thanks for the clarification, I think I'm starting to understand it. I'm surprised (but pleased) to see protected bike lanes continuing up Stirling, even if only a short way.
Maybe they will be extended further in the future? One can hope!
Work on the Joseph St reconstruction (including adding a MUT) has started.

[Image: 3xeFqfC.jpg]

Last I checked on Stewart St some of the new curbs were in, though the trees still remained were the MUT is going. I'm sure the construction drawings showed it, but all of the trees there are sadly clearly coming down.
I noticed what appeared to be an advanced pedestrian signal at Courtland and Stirling, where the IHT trail crossing improvement is going in (I could see 3 red lights, so unless the fourth direction had an advanced green while no cars were waiting, and allowed for a pedestrian signal, then I think I'm correct here). Would this be the first in the region?
(10-04-2022, 12:36 AM)dtkvictim Wrote: I noticed what appeared to be an advanced pedestrian signal at Courtland and Stirling, where the IHT trail crossing improvement is going in (I could see 3 red lights, so unless the fourth direction had an advanced green while no cars were waiting, and allowed for a pedestrian signal, then I think I'm correct here). Would this be the first in the region?

Westmount and Laurentian has an advanced pedestrian signal during the morning for the students crossing to Laurentian PS.

Looks like a new crossing was installed at Westmount Rd. and the unnamed westward trail.

I'm glad to see this trail expanded and a crossing considered...but as usual regional roads and regional engineers are the primary obstacle to safe infrastructure around our city.

https://twitter.com/m_druker/status/1578035147340845058

Maybe our city engineers should put up passive aggressive signs at the crossings...

"""
This is a Region of Waterloo Road and this crossing is designed by regional engineers. Please direct your comments to Karen Redman.

Best,
-City of Kitchener Staff
"""

It's basically what City Waterloo did on the Iron Horse trail when they repaved it and Kitchener didn't.
The transit hub trail by the Google parking garage has been paved. Stewart St looks to still be waiting on hydro relocation. Joseph St is still a dirt mess, but I think I could see the grading on the new trail so I think the underground work may be done?

[Image: XFeoKqZ.jpg][Image: 72IAvtO.jpg]
They have paved the trail along Shoemaker Creek from Homer Watson to Kehl Street. The whole length has been fenced all the way to the railroad tracks, except for the Shoemaker Park section and along Southdale Ave, which is still under construction. There is also a paved trail on the shore opposite Shoemaker Park, but it dead ends before it gets to Mill Street. There is a grassy exit that goes to Tamroth Close, however, and I think that it will be possible to exit to Mill St. through the parking lot of the low rise apartment building. 

(11-05-2022, 03:24 PM)Acitta Wrote: They have paved the trail along Shoemaker Creek from Homer Watson to Kehl Street. The whole length has been fenced all the way to the railroad tracks, except for the Shoemaker Park section and along Southdale Ave, which is still under construction. There is also a paved trail on the shore opposite Shoemaker Park, but it dead ends before it gets to Mill Street. There is a grassy exit that goes to Tamroth Close, however, and I think that it will be possible to exit to Mill St. through the parking lot of the low rise apartment building. 

I love the renaturalization of the creek, and the trail next to it is very nice. What's a bit odd, though, is how it ends at Homer Watson: the creek and (a gravel) trail continue on the other side, but there is no signage or crossing. On Homer Watson, there is a bike lane between the end of the trail and Stirling Ave, but nothing at all (no lane, trail or sidewalk) from Hoffman St to the trail. (There is a bike lane on the other side, but then you need to cross, with no crossing.)

Does anyone know whether there is something planned here? Maybe a sidewalk, at least? There is certainly enough room here.
I'm not sure if there are plans for Homer Watson...FWIW...I'd like to see the whole segment North of Ottawa rethought....it doesn't need 4 lanes (it's another freeway artifact, it would have connected to Frederick/Benton eventually, and Lakeside park would be a freeway).

But I'm doubting anything that grand is planned.

The fencing seems gratuitous though...is there something I'm missing from the pictures or are they just doing the usual insane risk aversion thing?

(11-05-2022, 05:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm not sure if there are plans for Homer Watson...FWIW...I'd like to see the whole segment North of Ottawa rethought....it doesn't need 4 lanes (it's another freeway artifact, it would have connected to Frederick/Benton eventually, and Lakeside park would be a freeway).

The fencing seems gratuitous though...is there something I'm missing from the pictures or are they just doing the usual insane risk aversion thing?

Yes.
(11-05-2022, 05:12 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm not sure if there are plans for Homer Watson...FWIW...I'd like to see the whole segment North of Ottawa rethought....it doesn't need 4 lanes (it's another freeway artifact, it would have connected to Frederick/Benton eventually, and Lakeside park would be a freeway).

The drop is quite high and would not be safe for children. There is no fence in Shoemaker Park where there is a slope down to the creek rather than the three layers of granite blocks that are everwhere else.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »