Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
Much shallower grade to the road crossing there for the cyclist and enough of a hump to affect driving speed as you said. This looks much better and glad the others will be in this approach.

(10-01-2021, 03:41 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 02:01 PM)Acitta Wrote: So here is the IHT crossing on Mill St. which they finished yesterday. It is raised, but not so much that anyone would notice. I barely noticed it on my bike. Maybe it is half an inch. Certainly not more than an inch.

It's raised 6 inches....up to the level of the curb. You can see it along the picture you showed, along the left edge, where the level of the roadway goes from the normal level at the curb, up to flush with the curb, curbs are about 6 inches high, so there is a ~6 inch rise. It's gradual, because the design speed is ~30km/h. You'll notice it a little on a bike, but if you're in a car going much faster, you'll want to slow down to no around 30.
I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it. I just went back and forth across it and then stopped to take the picture. I went by several times during construction, and it looked like they rebuilt the curbs.
Looked at it again in person this morning, and it's as Dan says: a substantial rise, but gradual, so if you are driving at 30 km/h it's OK, and if you are riding your bike (most people below 15 km/h) it's barely noticeable. It's as intended and will hopefully help slow down the traffic to the 30 km/h target.
More wayfinding signs.

[Image: yGy7xVa.jpg][Image: 19pc70Z.jpg]
These are quite nice indeed.

Except for the scribbles. Sad
The sign also says Gage St, Instead of Gage Ave. I'm not trying to nitpick but an official City sign should have the name completely correct.
(10-11-2021, 08:44 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: The sign also says Gage St, Instead of Gage Ave. I'm not trying to nitpick but an official City sign should have the name completely correct.

Weird. Apparently for a time when the University of Waterloo’s Distance Education department was on Gage Avenue, their website said Gage St. in at least one location; and a person who pointed this out got a response something along the line of “there has been some discussion about that” as if there were anything to do but correct the typo.

Wow...that's a pretty big oversight.
(10-11-2021, 08:44 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: The sign also says Gage St, Instead of Gage Ave. I'm not trying to nitpick but an official City sign should have the name completely correct.

Well they have company - Elections Canada's voter cards had Gage St. for the advance poll location instead of Ave. as well. Makes me wonder if there is some form of discrepancy in official records/databases that doesn't make the posted name?
(10-11-2021, 11:56 PM)cherrypark Wrote:

Well they have company - Elections Canada's voter cards had Gage St. for the advance poll location instead of Ave. as well. Makes me wonder if there is some form of discrepancy in official records/databases that doesn't make the posted name?

Interesting. Seems likely.
(10-11-2021, 11:56 PM)cherrypark Wrote:

I thought the typo seemed familiar. A discrepancy would make the most sense.
Canada Post shows AVE in their postal code search. That SHOULD match the database Elections uses, but if it didn't... completely weird.

Coke
How about this one? A single regional document refers to BOTH Gage Ave and Gage St!
https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/livin...-Oct19.pdf

Is it possible that one end of it is (or was) called Gage St while the other end is (or was) Gage Ave?

(10-01-2021, 05:07 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Much shallower grade to the road crossing there for the cyclist and enough of a hump to affect driving speed as you said. This looks much better and glad the others will be in this approach.

Lol I've been walking over this crossing since it's been finished, the cars I've seen don't seem to slow down much if at all... kinda seems like a waste to me. I haven't driven over it yet but it looks like the world's gentlest speed hump.
(10-15-2021, 11:02 PM)clasher Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 05:07 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Much shallower grade to the road crossing there for the cyclist and enough of a hump to affect driving speed as you said. This looks much better and glad the others will be in this approach.

Lol I've been walking over this crossing since it's been finished, the cars I've seen don't seem to slow down much if at all... kinda seems like a waste to me. I haven't driven over it yet but it looks like the world's gentlest speed hump.
I agree. I can feel speed humps on other streets with my bike. I don't feel this one.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »