Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
There’s been some drilling on site lately. Does anyone know what this is typically for? 

[Image: 6eDYnH1.jpg][Image: fUMuTvg.jpg]

(04-13-2023, 09:03 AM)CP42 Wrote: There’s been some drilling on site lately. Does anyone know what this is typically for? 

[Image: 6eDYnH1.jpg][Image: fUMuTvg.jpg]

Almost always is environmental or geotechnical testing, but I think they've done the environmental work for the entire site already. Based on that drilling company being the primary driller for a local geotech company, I would say they are testing soil bearing capacity for foundation design of one of the next phases
VanMar has updated information on its website for the third tower:

https://on.vanmarconstructors.com/projec...wer-c-sp2/

Some highlights:
- Construction start date May 2023
- Suite count 443 (towers 1 and 2 have 583)
- Budget of $151M (towers 1 and 2 were $137M)
- Architect is Turner Fleischer (towers 1 and 2 were Kirkor)
As long as they keep TF FAR, FAR, away from the tallest tower, we should be OK
Permits applied for shoring, 3 level underground parking garage, and construction of 36 storey Tower

https://onlinepermits.kitchener.ca/portal/sfjsp
(04-18-2023, 09:42 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Permits applied for shoring, 3 level underground parking garage, and construction of 36 storey Tower

https://onlinepermits.kitchener.ca/portal/sfjsp

So the entire project has been approved by the city, but every phase of construction needs to get its own permits, correct?
Do you know how far in advance they normally apply/how long it takes to get approved?
Do we know if developers apply for permits without intent to actually start building?
Yes even after the zoning bylaw amendment approval, they still need to submit the site plan approval (which goes quicker in this case) Then to actually build they need to submit permits, usually with the intention to build and they take a few months in my experience

We’ve got excavators pulling up all the asphalt/concrete on site:

[Image: N1dfgxu.jpg]
Looks like the dig will commence shortly, as equipment is being brought in today:
[Image: oPuIGZ0.jpg]
The dig is underway!

[Image: SmHqJrz.jpg]
On a related note, are Medivac flights now done from the airport?
(06-04-2023, 08:54 PM)nms Wrote: On a related note, are Medivac flights now done from the airport?

Yes at least from what I've seen. I believe it was said on here somewhere that once 100 Vic/Charlie West/Station Park all were starting they switched to the airport because they lacked the visibility to properly land at the helicopter pad, which was also why they had the red light on Charlie West tower crane.
The helipad is fairly redundant anyway. I've piloted a helicopter before and it's impressive how little space you really need. While Ornge has AW139's and they're pretty big, their pilots are so skilled and could probably land it on top of CP24's condo assuming there weren't any poles or anything heh.

The thing with Ornge is: most people imagine them as first responders on scene to a major trauma incident (car crash, violent attempted murder etc). And yeah they do that and can land their helicopters down in the middle of a small urban park or on a highway no problem. But most of their work is actually mundane, run of the mill patient transportation from hospital to hospital (albeit it's still usually a situation where rapid transport is required). As such, taking off from the airport can be okay as long as EMS can transport the patient there in time. There are always other options too.

I'm not sure if the helipad will be permanently closed...I can't imagine them keeping it if there are going to be dozens of skyscrapers around it in the next 20 years. While it could still be used, it would be safer to just have a new one (on the roof of a building, maybe - or at the new hospital).

(06-06-2023, 10:40 AM)Votemac Wrote: For anyone interested in an internal SP update

Still no amenities, still no AC

I'm not surprised amenities aren't ready yet, they always take forever and are the last thing done.

But no AC?! Is the entirety of both buildings without AC? I thought it was basically mandatory for glass towers to have AC, they're unlivable otherwise.
(06-06-2023, 12:22 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 10:40 AM)Votemac Wrote: For anyone interested in an internal SP update

Still no amenities, still no AC

I'm not surprised amenities aren't ready yet, they always take forever and are the last thing done.

But no AC?! Is the entirety of both buildings without AC? I thought it was basically mandatory for glass towers to have AC, they're unlivable otherwise.

Yup - it’s been very hot in here. They’re saying it’s only because it’s the first time they’re being switched over and going forward it won’t be this late, but very frustrating and uncomfortable nonetheless.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »