Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
(04-15-2015, 02:05 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 01:28 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I assumed Loblaws had it's own atmosphere and bigger variety of products, I didn't realize that Loblaws is the exact same as Zehrs.

I consider the two banners essentially equivalent because they operate in mutually exclusive areas. For example in Toronto, where the flagship banner is Loblaws, there are no Zehrs stores, and in Waterloo region, where Zehrs is the main banner, there are no Loblaws stores. 

Interestingly in Barrie (where Loblaws has also traditionally used the Zehrs banner for full-line grocery stores), Loblaws just finished converting one of the Zehrs stores to a premium Loblaws store, modeled after the Maple Leaf Gardens Loblaw store. This is while all the other Loblaws banner stores in Barrie have remained Zehrs. It would not be unusual in my opinion for something similar to happen here...

I know regional chains like Farm Boy are very interested in having stores in this area. Maybe it will be a Whole Foods?

I think this thread is going off-topic.  Maybe a new thread is needed to discuss grocery stores?
Unfortunately there is a bug in the form software/theme package to split threads and move groups of posts... we're looking into this.
If we need a new thread we can start one, but General Food/Retail might be a good fit too?
(04-15-2015, 11:50 PM)The85 Wrote: Interestingly in Barrie (where Loblaws has also traditionally used the Zehrs banner for full-line grocery stores)...

Yes, very interesting. I recall that when Loblaws bought Zehrs they kept the name because of its deep roots in this region.

Barrie of course is a bit further afield as are Owen Sound and Windsor where there are also Zehrs stores. Presumably Loblaws either rebranded or opened these stores after they bought the name, i.e. they weren't part of the chain when the Zehrs family owned it.

But as I said before, I'm making assumptions here based on personal observations. I don't have any direct insight into the Weston-owned grocery chain's marketing strategy.

Perhaps they're trying to create yet another market segmentation of stores. I find these distinctions quite interesting and telling. Besides store size and selection of products, the weekly flyers from Superstore, Zehrs and ValuMart have both commonalities and differences. The products on sale vary. But where the same product is on sale at more than one brand, the sale price may be substantially different, e.g. a jar of PC peanut butter that's on sale for $3.99 at ValuMart may be $2.99 at Superstore or fresh salmon while on sale may still be several dollars a kilo more expensive at VM than SS.
I always thought it odd that when Super Store has product X on sale, Zehrs will not price match... Yet SS will price match Zehrs.  Its all the same company, coming from the same warehouse, why not make that Zehrs customer happy???
Getting out of the Franklin/Can-Amera plaza is awful. I work near there and like going to Pita Pit for lunch, but it's such a pain to get out of and head back West on Can-Amera that I usually just end up going to Fast Eddy's instead.

We shop at Zehrs at Ottawa and River when we need lots of groceries, but have shifted more toward Valu-Mart at Frederick Mall in the last year or so. It feels much more "local" and we've gotten to know many of the staff there. Feels much more community-like, haha.

Panamaniac will be happy to hear the grocery store going in on Fairway Road is indeed a Farm Boy.

Coke
(05-21-2015, 11:04 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Panamaniac will be happy to hear the grocery store going in on Fairway Road is indeed a Farm Boy.

Sorry, where on Fairway is this?
(05-21-2015, 11:15 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-21-2015, 11:04 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Panamaniac will be happy to hear the grocery store going in on Fairway Road is indeed a Farm Boy.

Sorry, where on Fairway is this?

Canadian Tire plaza at Fairway/Wilson.  The grocery store will be in the old Pier 1/BMO area.  I saw a sign that Beat Goes On is relocation, so maybe the store goes back that far... not sure.
Very good news to see this happening.
I only learned about the new Farm Boy from the piece in today's e-Record. I am indeed very happy - I was a big Farm Boy fan when I lived in Ottawa. I suspect that it won't be long before they open stores in Waterloo and Guelph as well.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5659...kitchener/
Speaking of supermarkets, has anyone heard anything about the new Asian supermarket that's supposed to open in the old car dealership on Ottawa St N? I would have expected renovations to be underway by now, but the site seems untouched.

(06-03-2015, 08:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Speaking of supermarkets, has anyone heard anything about the new Asian supermarket that's supposed to open in the old car dealership on Ottawa St N?  I would have expected renovations to be underway by now, but the site seems untouched.

Wasn't that supposed to be a T&T?  (Yet another Loblaws brand ...)

And, no, I haven't seen anything on that front for a long time.
I am not familiar with Farm Boy. I read on their website the store will be 22,000 sq ft. Is this a normal size for their stores? It seems small.