Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
(03-22-2024, 01:46 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 09:30 AM)SF22 Wrote: We could expand the existing Downtown Community Centre with more facilities, if we ripped out its existing surface parking at Ontario/Duke. The Duke St parking garage is literally across the street, or they could build an underground lot like the one under City Hall, if really deemed necessary. A rough estimate on Google Maps says there's about 3300 square metres of surface lot; you could do something decent with that, and create a street-front entrance to Duke that catches your attention. Right now, the DCC feels so hidden and is weirdly unsigned, for a community space.
I do agree that the City could transform the site into something with a little more street presents. Correct me if I am wrong, but the current DCC was part of St. Mary's Highschool at one point?  Does the city even own the site or do they lease it from the church?

I don't know for sure, but it looks like the building use is split between the DCC and the Catholic School Board. There's still signage on the Weber St side for the Waterloo Region Catholic Education Centre. You might be right, that it's not actually city property.

(03-22-2024, 02:50 PM)SF22 Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 01:46 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I do agree that the City could transform the site into something with a little more street presents. Correct me if I am wrong, but the current DCC was part of St. Mary's Highschool at one point?  Does the city even own the site or do they lease it from the church?

I don't know for sure, but it looks like the building use is split between the DCC and the Catholic School Board. There's still signage on the Weber St side for the Waterloo Region Catholic Education Centre. You might be right, that it's not actually city property.

It is not city property. You can see for yourself if you check the city's open GIS site, which shows property ownership.
Activa's development on Erinbrook opposite Rittenhouse is now named (very originally) 'Erin Brook', and described as '2-over-2 stacked condo towns'.
It appears Forest Heights Collegiate is adding a new / moving their existing bus loop to the south side of the property along Forest Hill Drive. Fencing went up last week and earth movement started on Monday.

https://wrdsb.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/T...6b9e792b32
A small mixed use project is proposed for 570 Frederick Street (Frederick and Bruce intersection, just near the highway exits). It'll be 3 floors containing commercial space on the ground floor and residential units on the rest.
(04-11-2024, 01:48 PM)ac3r Wrote: A small mixed use project is proposed for 570 Frederick Street (Frederick and Bruce intersection, just near the highway exits). It'll be 3 floors containing commercial space on the ground floor and residential units on the rest.

Wait, ACTUALLY??? The 8-til-late Variety has been rundown for my entire life, and never actually operational as a variety store, as far as I can recall. Any additional info you can share on this one?
Yeah I can't remember if it was ever an operational store in my lifetime (so, since the late 80s). Has it been used as a residence? I notice - at least on Google Maps - there are some items like lawn chairs and stuff on the side as well as a radio tower with what looks like either a Yagi-Uda antenna for amateur radio or possibly OTA TV reception...hard to tell. Either way yeah it's been a dump for ages.

I don't have much info, other than there'd be 170 square meters of medical office space and then 3 residential units. The application has been submitted by someone associated with Anthony Davies Medical. I can't tell if it's alternative medicine or legit, because the website has links to information pages on "integrative medicine" which is often described as alternative (fake) medicine. But then his Twitter page shows he actually does practice as a general physician and even educates medical students, including here at GRH. Either way, good to see more small midrise projects being proposed.

I've definitely seen an older man going in/out of 570 Frederick before, and there's often a car parked on that lot too, so I assumed that someone was potentially living there.

Either way, good to hear that something is happening with that site. There are a few other medical offices on that block between Bruce and the highway, so it makes sense that another medical (or 'medical') office would move in there.
I noticed a public information session sign on the house at 15 Laurentian Drive. Additionally there was a shipping container in the driveway.
Looks like they want to replace the house with a playground for the school. I guess removing housing is now where we are at.

Address: 15 LAURENTIAN DR
Application Number: ZBA24/003/L/AP
Application Type: Zoning By-Law Amendment
Application Summary: Cross-reference OPA24/003/L/AP. The City of Kitchener has received applications requesting an Official Plan Amendment and a Zoning By-law Amendment to redesignate the subject property, addressed as 15 Laurentian Drive, from “Low Rise Residential” to “Institutional” in the Official Plan and to rezone the property from Low Rise Residential Two Zone “RES-2” to Neighbourhood Institutional Zone “INS-1”. The property is proposed to be redesignated and rezoned to permit future expansion options for the school located at 11 Laurentian Drive. The lands may be used for an expansion of the existing surface parking area or to accommodate additional outdoor play space for students.
Looking at the overhead view of the school, it looks like a previous building expansion may have eaten into the existing playground and/or parking area. The current school site does not appear to have a baseball diamond.
More surface parking! It's what we need! It's what the taxpayers want! Down with housing! Down with homeless people!

😢
There's nothing I hate more than property tax-paying lots, bleh
local cambridge weirdo
“The lands may be used for an expansion of the existing surface parking area or to accommodate additional outdoor play space for students.”

That’s a pretty big difference. If they’re tearing down a house to build a playground, I’m probably in favour. To build parking, probably opposed. Weird that there are different zones for single family, semi-detached, townhouses, and apartments of various sizes, but you can rezone land as institutional and then either build a naturalized play area or pave it all for parking without any more interaction with the zoning regime.

Of note, the school is a private christian operation, not affiliated with any school board.
(04-23-2024, 07:15 PM)KevinL Wrote: Of note, the school is a private christian operation, not affiliated with any school board.

That's pretty important when the theme is "I don't want my tax dollars paying for more parking lot"...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »