Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linden Square (University @ Lester)
Linden Square

This is the new food court at the base of the 203 Lester St KW4Rent tower.

Outside, it's got this stylish electronic sign.

The inside is a modern looking 2 storey food court area.

There are currently five eateries.  Many of them appear to be imports from the Chinese areas of suburban Toronto.

Sugar Marmalade
Focus on Bubbletea / Desserts, but with a selection of rice and meat dishes.

RIce Cream
The menu seemed to have "pressed sushi"? Never seen that before.

Cafe O
I didn't take a picture of it specifically, but it's a coffee shop.  They served espresso based drinks, so a bit more selection than Timmy's or Coffee Culture.

Vandijk Fish Co.
Kinda makes the whole place smell like fish, which adds to the suburban Toronto Chinese Mall food court vibe

Foodie Fruitie
A sit-down restaurant taking half of the upper level

Orange Flame Gourmet
Pizza, salad, and gelato according to the electronic sign out front

One thing they need to work on, is bicycle parking. There's a large empty paved space out front, but this is the bike parking:

Regarding the suburban Toronto point - Cafe O's other location is at Victoria & River in Kitchener, and Vandijk Fish Company's other location is a trailer at St. Jacobs Market.
Wow... most of these are totally targeted to the Chinese/Asian markets. I really doubt I'll ever eat anything there, or drink coffee in a place that smells like fish for that matter. I'm still surprised that they opted for this food court style of adding commercial space to his building. Why not street facing units? Ugh.
(07-27-2015, 03:38 PM)insider Wrote: Wow... most of these are totally targeted to the Chinese/Asian markets. I really doubt I'll ever eat anything there, or drink coffee in a place that smells like fish for that matter. I'm still surprised that they opted for this food court style of adding commercial space to his building. Why not street facing units? Ugh.

Because they can fit more in? I also think it can make some sense if you're targeting a student crowd that might go there in groups that then all get different things.

I don't recall exactly, but I have the vague sense that commercial space was not in original plans for this building.
Because this layout allows the vendors to share seating/table space?

Some non-Asian folks (including me) actually do like eating Asian food, too. And nice to see hakozushi (an Osaka region specialty) available as an alternative to the AYCE sushi eateries that are pervasive in the region.
Once inside the shops, there wasn't a fishy smell anymore!  Though, it did kinda hover over the communal seating.  Hopefully when the pizza place opens, that will fight off the fish.

Two of the places, Sugar Marmalade and foodie fruity are eat-in restaurants with their own seating.

I don't mind the food court design!  It's still right up at the street, and it lets you stand in a climate controlled environment while you fail at deciding what to eat.  I suspect they will eventually install outdoor seating, as the patio outside is rather spartan right now.

[EDIT] woah, I didn't mean to join in on a pile-on!
Disclaimer: My opinions are expressly my own, and are not meant to imply that your opinions are incorrect. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. All rights reserved.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »