Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active Transportation Advisory Committee
  • Are you enthusiastic about active transportation: walking, cycling, running, rollerblading, commuting by pogo stick... ?
  • Would you like to have a say in how the Region of Waterloo moves forward with active transportation?
  • Do you want free sandwiches and soup once a month?
The Active Transporation Advisory Committee (ATAC) is continuing to look for applications for members starting 2016. Advisory committee members meet monthly to discuss AT issues. We get to review and provide feedback on road reconstruction and new walking and cycling infrastructure throughout the region. We advise on bylaw and policy. We provide input that is built into the region's transportation planning. It's a great way to get involved with making Waterloo Region more walkable and bikeable.

Appointments are generally 2-4 years in length. The commitment is to meet on the third Tuesday of each month, from 5pm to 7pm, at the ROW HQ. The committee attempts to balance its membership geographically, but for 2016 there are 4 open slots... and only 1 application.

The committee really needs people who have a passion for active transportation here in the region, and who are willing to bring in their perspective and thoughtful opinion. I know there are people like that on this forum!

If you're interested, you can apply with this form. If you have questions, fire away. I've served on ATAC for the last two and a half years, and as its chair since 2014, and would be happy to fill you in.

Hey Zanate: when is the application due, and when exactly does the term begin? January 2016?
How many total members are there on ATAC? And which geographies (municipalities?) are currently underrepresented?
Quick answers: deadline already passed, so ASAP.

As for geography, I don't actually know because I'm not sure whose terms are up. But there are a number of ex-Cycling Advisory Committee members who went into ATAC on formation, and have now been through one renewal, so they're not eligible to renew.

So if you are interested in joining the committee, I'd say don't worry where you are and apply if you're interested. Worst they can do is say sorry no.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »