Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
Great idea...

Speaking of ideas, read this...

https://www.therecord.com/opinion/editor...actor.html

Seems like the Editors are reading WRC..

(08-31-2022, 11:48 AM)KevinL Wrote: Speaking of the creek, I'd love to see a multi-use trail go through that park space, over the tracks, and along the creekside to Mill. Would give new access to the TWB brewery, and an alternate route to the LRT.

Over the tracks ... or under, which might be more effective and more accessible.

Better yet, the city should purchase some of that industrial land and create a park, connected to and complementing the one on the Metz side of the tracks. There is plenty of space, and it shouldn't be ridiculously expensive, either.

(08-31-2022, 12:48 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Great idea...

Speaking of ideas,  read this...

Seems like the Editors are reading WRC..

The failure to engage the community on the design ....
(08-31-2022, 03:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-31-2022, 11:48 AM)KevinL Wrote: Speaking of the creek, I'd love to see a multi-use trail go through that park space, over the tracks, and along the creekside to Mill. Would give new access to the TWB brewery, and an alternate route to the LRT.

Over the tracks ... or under, which might be more effective and more accessible.

Better yet, the city should purchase some of that industrial land and create a park, connected to and complementing the one on the Metz side of the tracks. There is plenty of space, and it shouldn't be ridiculously expensive, either.

I've always wondered what the story was behind that unused space.  Businesses have extended into it over the years, and it was levelled out a bit at some point, but it has never been used.  I used to go tobogganing there from time to time when I was a kid (mid-1960s).  If the City could acquire it and add it to the planned square in Metz (connection under the tracks), you could have a substantial urban park.
(08-31-2022, 12:48 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Great idea...

Speaking of ideas,  read this...

The Record Wrote:Citizens can take more pride in their community when developers go beyond the basic needs of utility to create something that is outstanding.

Uhm, does that ever happen in the rental housing world, or is it purely the purvey of condos?
(09-01-2022, 03:36 PM)KevinT Wrote:
The Record Wrote:Citizens can take more pride in their community when developers go beyond the basic needs of utility to create something that is outstanding.

Uhm, does that ever happen in the rental housing world, or is it purely the purvey of condos?

Sure it can. There are some nice rental buildings (as well as rental single-family homes!) in our cities that people are very pleased (proud?) to live in, and more elsewhere.

As an example, I would be proud to live in the funky Habitat 67 building (for all its faults) in Montreal, whether renting or owning a unit.
Here is the recording of the recent public Zoom meeting. 
Auburn (former Schneider's Site) Neighbourhood Meeting

(09-06-2022, 06:05 PM)Acitta Wrote: Here is the recording of the recent public Zoom meeting. 
Auburn (former Schneider's Site) Neighbourhood Meeting

I'm lazy. Can you give a brief outline of what was said?
I'm gonna guess a lot was said about traffic, shadows, schools, how we're turning into Toronto and the usual nonsense.
(09-09-2022, 07:51 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'm gonna guess a lot was said about traffic, shadows, schools, how we're turning into Toronto and the usual nonsense.

Actually, not that much. The traffic concerns were addressed by the turn lane on Courtland and by the fact that the road exiting onto Borden will be one way. There were no concerns about shadows because the tall towers will be away from Courtland by the tracks. You should watch the presentation rather than jumping to cynical conclusions.
What concerns were expressed?
(09-09-2022, 10:30 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What concerns were expressed?

During the Q&A, some people asked about traffic. There were concerns about the impact of traffic along Courtland and backups caused by turning vehicles. The widening of Courtland to add a centre turn lane the whole length of the site, will not only alleviate this problem but make it even better than it currently is. The other concern was about increased traffic on Borden due to the new road that will exit onto it. This will be made a one way exit so that cars will be unable to use Borden to access the site, but only exit. One thing to note is that the first buildings to be built will be lower rise buildings fronting Courtland, with the whole project taking 10 years or more, so it will be a long time before there is a significant increase in traffic. Also, the plan is to make the garage building into a market with food and other vendors, so people will have a convenient way to fulfill some of their needs without leaving the site.

Edit: The graphic of the proposed development is show starting at 17:19 in the presentation.
Edit #2: The proposed construction phasing slide is at 37:09.
(09-09-2022, 08:06 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 07:51 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'm gonna guess a lot was said about traffic, shadows, schools, how we're turning into Toronto and the usual nonsense.

Actually, not that much. The traffic concerns were addressed by the turn lane on Courtland and by the fact that the road exiting onto Borden will be one way. There were no concerns about shadows because the tall towers will be away from Courtland by the tracks. You should watch the presentation rather than jumping to cynical conclusions.

I don't have time to watch these so I come here to ask as I know some people here keep up to date.

As for being cynical: NIMBYs are a pain when it comes to new development in a rapidly growing and changing region. I think anyone sensible gets sick of them as they've been successful in stalling projects here, so when it comes to large projects like this, it's not always possible to be optimistic. I'm optimistic once the shovels are in the ground. If there wasn't much opposition, well, then that's good news so far.

(09-11-2022, 01:01 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(09-09-2022, 08:06 PM)Acitta Wrote: Actually, not that much. The traffic concerns were addressed by the turn lane on Courtland and by the fact that the road exiting onto Borden will be one way. There were no concerns about shadows because the tall towers will be away from Courtland by the tracks. You should watch the presentation rather than jumping to cynical conclusions.

I don't have time to watch these so I come here to ask as I know some people here keep up to date.

As for being cynical: NIMBYs are a pain when it comes to new development in a rapidly growing and changing region. I think anyone sensible gets sick of them as they've been successful in stalling projects here, so when it comes to large projects like this, it's not always possible to be optimistic. I'm optimistic once the shovels are in the ground. If there wasn't much opposition, well, then that's good news so far.

There doesn't seem to be any significant opposition to this development so far. There are some aspects to it that will benefit the wider neighbourhood.
(09-11-2022, 10:05 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(09-11-2022, 01:01 AM)ac3r Wrote: I don't have time to watch these so I come here to ask as I know some people here keep up to date.

There doesn't seem to be any significant opposition to this development so far. There are some aspects to it that will benefit the wider neighbourhood.
Also, it is a large development so traffic concerns are definitely valid (given traffic on courtland isn't great as is) 

It would appear said traffic concerns have been addressed, so as long as they were made in good faith and we don't see shifting goalposts here, this should be fine.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »