Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Drewlo Waterloo (née Waterloo Motor Inn) | 8x 16-28 fl | proposed
What is happening at that Chapters? I have seen some construction taking place there lately.

Edit: I guess I should have just googled it. It's a Goodwill: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/i-can-save-...-1.6013507

(11-21-2022, 03:56 PM)SF22 Wrote: I hope that they do something with the King St Service Rd/King St intersection, because that is already a miserable road to turn left off of. They're definitely going to need to install a traffic light there, once there's a lot of extra traffic coming in and out of this area. I'd also love to see the on/off ramps lose their sweeping lanes, and restructure those connections through lighted intersections. It could help reclaim a bit of land, but mostly make the area safer for pedestrians and cyclists by slowing traffic and giving pedestrians some right-of-way (instead of the current set-up, which requires pedestrians and cyclists to wait for a break in traffic to cross the ramps).

I was musing about connecting the new development directly to the traffic light at the highway off ramp. Make the offramp just come out to the road in/out of the development.

Probably infeasible given the need to coordinate with MTO due to the involvement of the highway offramp, but this development is big enough it makes sense to reconsider nearby access roads.

I do think that it’s questionable to keep the circular end of the road, regardless of the above. The access into the development isn’t really just a driveway, even if it happens to be privately owned.
Apartment towers may soar in huge development on site of the Inn of Waterloo

Politicians and the public got their first look Monday at a proposal to replace the Inn of Waterloo with a major development of eight residential highrises and two office towers.
I like what looks like a trail/path along the north edge of the property, connecting the Forwell trail all the way to Weber street would be useful to me, and likely other people as well.

LOL at someone complaining about traffic problems on Weber N. Every time I'm on that road it feels empty and overbuilt.
(01-24-2023, 10:39 PM)clasher Wrote: I like what looks like a trail/path along the north edge of the property, connecting the Forwell trail all the way to Weber street would be useful to me, and likely other people as well.

It's been planned for a while. Not sure the current status; it wasn't there as of the last time I went by in Sept 2021.

https://www.engagewr.ca/new-forwell-trail-coming
There's already more relevant thread for this project. This one is over half a decade old.

Current thread: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1738
(01-25-2023, 12:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: There's already more relevant thread for this project. This one is over half a decade old.

Current thread: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1738

Threads merged now, to keep everything together in one place.

Thanks though I would have just merged the 3 posts made yesterday in this thread into my newer one as that makes more logical sense. Merging threads in a way that puts new content into the end of a 6-7 year old thread is confusing since the OP post is now about an old motel heh.
I'll fix the OP later with the current render.
(11-21-2022, 07:01 PM)timc Wrote: What is happening at that Chapters? I have seen some construction taking place there lately.

Edit: I guess I should have just googled it. It's a Goodwill: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/i-can-save-...-1.6013507

I was wondering, thanks for posting! Goodwill would have been my last guess. They are doing significant renovations to the building, including an all new front entrance with very significant overhang and new, bigger windows. I was guessing a banquet hall or something.
(01-24-2023, 10:17 PM)Acitta Wrote: Apartment towers may soar in huge development on site of the Inn of Waterloo

Politicians and the public got their first look Monday at a proposal to replace the Inn of Waterloo with a major development of eight residential highrises and two office towers.

And no offence to anyone here -- but I imagine that some of us will be dead by the time this is completed, if it goes ahead. Some of these developers are so slow at building.
(03-01-2023, 10:19 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 10:17 PM)Acitta Wrote: Apartment towers may soar in huge development on site of the Inn of Waterloo

And no offence to anyone here -- but I imagine that some of us will be dead by the time this is completed, if it goes ahead. Some of these developers are so slow at building.

If you were born tomorrow, the likely hood of death before this project is complete is extremely high !!
Yeah. I'm late 30s. I suspect I'll be 65 by the time this is even 1/4th of the way complete. Then by the time it's done, I'll have been thrown down the side of Corrán Tuathail in an urn.

Any updates?
Hopefully its dead. Everything Drewlo touches is absolute trash. 

The City of Waterloo needs to do a bit of forward planning for the entire block between King and Weber. Planned properly this neighbourhood could be a dense walkable neighbourhood that offers residential, office and retail space for the community. As it stands now. They have just allowed developers to plan competing poorly thought-out sites that will be disconnected from the surrounding community. Its like they are building an urban suburb. This and 435 King st are so poorly thought out it frustrates me so much. I would prefer nothing gets built over what is currently planned.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »