Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
(Eaton) Lofts at 276
Awesome news, I always thought that would be a good location for a grocery store. I think City Center condos would be an even better location now, but maybe by the time that's done DTK can support both a high end grocer and a supermarket. If uptown can support both I don't see why downtown can't.

Does anyone know what the timeline for this sort of thing would be like?

Very good news! Does the permit application indicate how many square feet?
(10-14-2020, 05:23 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Very good news!  Does the permit application indicate how many square feet?

Sadly no. It just says Unit 1, which according to http://perimeterdevelopment.com/wp-conte...-apr12.pdf is a little over 11k sq ft. But last I remember from walking past, the dividing wall between units 1/2 on that map didn't exist yet. So it could be as much as 14k sq ft (if they took both units), or less if they put the dividing wall elsewhere.

Edit: Looks like the wall is built pretty close to what's on that map, maybe a little smaller for the big unit. So 11k sq ft is probably a good estimate of the size.

I did message Perimeter on Instagram to ask about the square footage. If I get an answer I'll post it.
(10-14-2020, 03:58 PM)taylortbb Wrote: There is a permit application 20-122716 for the ground floor retail space.

Quote:PERMIT IS FOR INTERIOR ALTERATIONS TO CREATE A GROCERY STORE ON THE GROUND FLOOR OF EATONS LOFTS - UNIT 1 - MARCHELEO'S MARKET PLACE

Looks like a high end grocer (like Vincenzo's) that has a few Toronto locations currently. It may not quite as good as getting a Loblaws, but if it's half decent I could not be happier as a DTK resident.

It should at least be substantially better than J&P, which never lived up to my dreams of offering a reasonable selection of groceries in an urban format.
If they just got the permit, maybe 2-4 weeks to schedule trades, 4-6 weeks to do the interior alterations, a few weeks to bring in equipment and furniture, and then inventory and testing. Three months would really be the earliest I would see, which would be sometime in January.
(10-14-2020, 05:36 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 05:23 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Very good news!  Does the permit application indicate how many square feet?

Sadly no. It just says Unit 1, which according to http://perimeterdevelopment.com/wp-conte...-apr12.pdf is a little over 11k sq ft. But last I remember from walking past, the dividing wall between units 1/2 on that map didn't exist yet. So it could be as much as 14k sq ft (if they took both units), or less if they put the dividing wall elsewhere.

Edit: Looks like the wall is built pretty close to what's on that map, maybe a little smaller for the big unit. So 11k sq ft is probably a good estimate of the size.

I did message Perimeter on Instagram to ask about the square footage. If I get an answer I'll post it.

That's still considerably larger than I would have expected.  At the small end of the "urban format" range, even though it wouldn't all be sales floor.
How large is a typical SDM grocery area? Maybe 3000-4000 sqft?

(10-15-2020, 04:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote: How large is a typical SDM grocery area? Maybe 3000-4000 sqft?

No idea, but I was going to guess 2,000 to 3,000 sq ft.
For reference, the FarmBoy on Fairway road is 22,000 square feet.
(10-16-2020, 08:28 AM)creative Wrote: For reference, the FarmBoy on Fairway road is 22,000 square feet.

Yes, that is, for FarmBoy, a full-size grocery.  Their urban format in Westboro in Ottawa is, iirc, about 14,000 sq ft.  The new one in Rideau Centre is only 8,000 sq ft (again, iirc).  FarmBoy's largest store is under construction at the TrainYards.  It will be 38,000 sq ft.
Looks like most urban stores are in the 10-15,000 sqft range. If used efficiently (see SDM for example) you can actually have good variety. If you do it the way J&P did, not so much.
(10-14-2020, 03:58 PM)taylortbb Wrote: There is a permit application 20-122716 for the ground floor retail space.

Quote:PERMIT IS FOR INTERIOR ALTERATIONS TO CREATE A GROCERY STORE ON THE GROUND FLOOR OF EATONS LOFTS - UNIT 1 - MARCHELEO'S MARKET PLACE

Looks like a high end grocer (like Vincenzo's) that has a few Toronto locations currently. It may not quite as good as getting a Loblaws, but if it's half decent I could not be happier as a DTK resident.

Over the past decade plus, how many "opening soon" signs have been wrapped on those streetfront windows? As such, I shall believe it when it opens. ;-)
Permits were issued a couple days ago. Looks like there's one permit from Perimeter to move the fire alarm panel, and a separate one from a Toronto-based design/build firm to actually build the grocery store. Hopefully we'll see some action on-site soon.

The grocery store permit doesn't have a square footage, but it says a construction value of $1M. So I figure that's gotta be of a reasonable size.

(12-02-2020, 03:53 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Permits were issued a couple days ago. Looks like there's one permit from Perimeter to move the fire alarm panel, and a separate one from a Toronto-based design/build firm to actually build the grocery store. Hopefully we'll see some action on-site soon.

The grocery store permit doesn't have a square footage, but it says a construction value of $1M. So I figure that's gotta be of a reasonable size.
At $1M, they are not cheaping out.
Walked by after work. Looks like there's some crates of stuff in the space. Not sure if it's newly delivered, but it might be for them to start work.

Also noticed that Perimeter has done Christmas displays in the windows of all the vacant units, except this one. I think that pretty strongly suggests they're expecting construction to be happening soon.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »