Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIA Rail
(02-11-2023, 04:37 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Are you guys suggesting that they are running revenue service on the new trains right now? I feel like we'd have heard about that.

'We' have heard about it - those who follow rail transport closely.

The general public hasn't as they're still testing them as they go and there's no guarantee you'll get a new train on a given run, so Via has not heavily publicized them yet. Once they've been properly broken in and are running reliably, I'm sure there'll be a big marketing push.

(02-11-2023, 05:24 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 04:37 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Are you guys suggesting that they are running revenue service on the new trains right now? I feel like we'd have heard about that.

'We' have heard about it - those who follow rail transport closely.

The general public hasn't as they're still testing them as they go and there's no guarantee you'll get a new train on a given run, so Via has not heavily publicized them yet. Once they've been properly broken in and are running reliably, I'm sure there'll be a big marketing push.

I'm asking about revenue service, i.e., carrying paying passengers, not "testing". You said they are being "rolled out" which is unclear, but dtkvictim specifically said they're carrying passenger service.

I feel like even a non-railfan who rides via rail (do those even exist?) who was scheduled on a via train and a brand new modern European style Stadler train pulled up instead of Via's typical 1950s - 1970s fare would be taking a selfie with it and posting it on twitter. Certainly someone in a train with 500 people on it would be posting something.

I cannot believe Via would run passenger service without a launch, OTOH, it'd be great if they were that far along.
(02-12-2023, 03:46 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 05:24 PM)KevinL Wrote: 'We' have heard about it - those who follow rail transport closely.

I'm asking about revenue service, i.e., carrying paying passengers, not "testing". You said they are being "rolled out" which is unclear, but dtkvictim specifically said they're carrying passenger service.

I feel like even a non-railfan who rides via rail (do those even exist?) who was scheduled on a via train and a brand new modern European style Stadler train pulled up instead of Via's typical 1950s - 1970s fare would be taking a selfie with it and posting it on twitter. Certainly someone in a train with 500 people on it would be posting something.

I cannot believe Via would run passenger service without a launch, OTOH, it'd be great if they were that far along.

I think there was more confirmation of it in the UT thread, but again it's a nightmare to find anything there.

All I could quickly find was this video. The video claims they are on "one of the very first revenue runs", and the train seems to be displaying a regular route number.

(02-12-2023, 04:09 AM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(02-12-2023, 03:46 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm asking about revenue service, i.e., carrying paying passengers, not "testing". You said they are being "rolled out" which is unclear, but dtkvictim specifically said they're carrying passenger service.

I think there was more confirmation of it in the UT thread, but again it's a nightmare to find anything there.

All I could quickly find was this video. The video claims they are on "one of the very first revenue runs", and the train seems to be displaying a regular route number.

Cool! Thanks! Yeah, I am surprised that there wasn't more press about them starting service. I feel like they'd want to talk about that more.

It's great news for me, there's some chance that the next time I visit, we might be on new trains--not that I'd choose Via if I had a choice, but this is certainly an improvement.

As a complete aside, does anyone know why trains move so slowly 1km from Union Station and what it would take to fix this? It takes nearly 5 minutes to go from "just arriving at Union" to "stopped at the platform". That kind of delay is insane, and doesn't happen at other stations I'm aware of.
(02-12-2023, 05:54 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: As a complete aside, does anyone know why trains move so slowly 1km from Union Station and what it would take to fix this? It takes nearly 5 minutes to go from "just arriving at Union" to "stopped at the platform". That kind of delay is insane, and doesn't happen at other stations I'm aware of.

That's down to the track control systems in the area around the station, which are in desperate need of upgrade. That will be done in the coming years as the GO lines are electrified and signals upgraded.
I expect that speed around Union Station also has a lot to do with number of switches that exist in the area which limit speeds.
Information on the new VIA trains still seems a bit scarce, but VIA sent an email blast out this morning that included a link to this YouTube video (12m long, YouTube closed captions work well on it, posted a month ago) from this past winter where they invited someone to ride along on a testing run. They do a pretty decent overview of the experience within the cars, and the available features that elevate the new trains above the current experience.

https://youtu.be/B1f2WhsmYkY

Mike Downie isn't the most critical of transport YouTubers but at least he's enthusiastic. Good to see the features highlighted, hopefully there's no issues they haven't made public.
Well, I didn't get to ride it, but I did get to see Via's new trains parked on the platform at Toronto Union.

It looks like it was being used to operate train 40 and 41 so far, so anyone going to Ottawa probably has a chance.

It really is a nice and modern looking train. I talk a lot of shit about Via, and while I'll have plenty left to slag, it'll be nice not to get to complain about the trains being half a century old, they'd not look out of place at any European train station.

At least I'll still get to mock Union Station....

https://types.pl/@danbrotherston/111647644572165433

It was an easy choice for Via after Brightline and Amtrak also bought a whole bunch of what is basically the same design. Still, encouraging that they did make the right choice.
It's a nice train but as an actual proper train foamer, I miss the old days of a "real" locomotive and a bunch of carriages in tow. Modern trains are so boring because they all look the same. Each train ends up looking really dull because the locomotive and the cars are all done in the same industrial design, intended to be run as a single unit that is rarely uncoupled or altered unless it's for shunting things around for maintenance. They all sort of look like any other, even completely unrelated train...I mean you could slap some Avanti or Lumo livery on these sort of trains and would barely tell them apart from a train running on the East or West Coast Mainlines in England.

Nonetheless, it's nice to see new equipment that can actually go fast with no issues (not that they're ever going to use these at a high speed lmfao) and modern amenities. It's been ages since I've been on a VIA train so I can't even remember how comfy the carriages are.
(12-30-2023, 05:14 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It looks like it was being used to operate train 40 and 41 so far, so anyone going to Ottawa probably has a chance.

The schedule of the new fleet is publicly available on this page https://www.viarail.ca/en/plan/new-fleet
Nice. But I wonder how the air circulation is on those. On the old equipment there was quite high CO2. Friends of mine just got COVID, perhaps from the train ride? It's hard to tell.

(12-31-2023, 04:56 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 05:14 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It looks like it was being used to operate train 40 and 41 so far, so anyone going to Ottawa probably has a chance.

The schedule of the new fleet is publicly available on this page https://www.viarail.ca/en/plan/new-fleet

Oh man. Thanks! Sadly, I don't think we'll be on a Via train for at least another year (I'm not even sure what our travel plans will look like once the little one is in mandatory school).
(12-31-2023, 09:52 PM)plam Wrote: Nice. But I wonder how the air circulation is on those. On the old equipment there was quite high CO2. Friends of mine just got COVID, perhaps from the train ride? It's hard to tell.

Hmm...hard to say. The LRC cars have a lot of fan noise, I would have assumed that meant they had good air circulation (airplanes usually do have good air circulation as well).

But I honestly have no idea what it's like on any trains (I usually hang out in the vestibules on NS trains...since I'm not usually going that far or I have luggage) so the doors opening provide a lot of fresh air. Via trains stop much less frequently.

That being said, I'm not sure I'll ever ride a train or airplane without a mask again. So far we've avoided COVID (or anything for that matter) on two international trips with many transit legs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »