Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Market Square
(06-13-2021, 10:42 AM)tomh009 Wrote: So, where should one study for PSW or paralegal instead? Because clearly we do need both paralegals and PSWs.

Conestoga offers a PSW program, and while they don't have a paralegal program there are public colleges that do.

I think ac3r was overly dismissive of triOS, but the truth is that the employment stats show public colleges (e.g. Conestoga) have MUCH higher employment rates than the for-profit colleges like triOS. Employers clearly believe the public college diplomas are more valuable.

(06-12-2021, 11:39 PM)ac3r Wrote: These are the kind places that result in PSWs working 3 jobs at 3 LTC homes at minimum wage just to survive

That's not the fault of triOS or similar schools, though. That's the fault of for-profit LTC homes trying to increase their profit margin by hiring only part-timers so they don't has as many payroll taxes or benefits to pay out per FTE.

(06-12-2021, 11:39 PM)ac3r Wrote: or IT students running an OnlyFans side hustle just to pay rent.

Well, none of my classmates from triOS have done that.

(06-12-2021, 11:39 PM)ac3r Wrote: Private strip mall colleges are a scam, don't be naive. You go, pay for a worthless title and hope to the heavens you land a good job...which is hard to do when employers see you studied at a place like triOS.

I'm really, really trying not to use "elitist" and "classist" here, but I'm just going to let myself fail at that because I can see that you've already got your mind set and no amount of contradicting information will make you change it.
(06-13-2021, 10:49 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 10:42 AM)tomh009 Wrote: So, where should one study for PSW or paralegal instead? Because clearly we do need both paralegals and PSWs.

Conestoga offers a PSW program, and while they don't have a paralegal program there are public colleges that do.

I think ac3r was overly dismissive of triOS, but the truth is that the employment stats show public colleges (e.g. Conestoga) have MUCH higher employment rates than the for-profit colleges like triOS. Employers clearly believe the public college diplomas are more valuable.

Exactly. Yeah you might get lucky and find a good job. If you're very dedicated, you can move up. But for profit colleges like these are bottom of the barrel in regards to how far it's going to take you in life.

Moreso, I'm critical of anything for profit, be it this, health care or long term care homes. When profit takes precedence over all else, you get subpar results unless you're the one making money. People would be better off going to Conestoga. And as an aside, public education should just be free as it is elsewhere in the world, but that's a different issue all together.
(06-13-2021, 11:06 AM)Bytor Wrote: I'm really, really trying not to use "elitist" and "classist" here, but I'm just going to let myself fail at that because I can see that you've already got your mind set and no amount of contradicting information will make you change it.

I'm not making a classist argument, so don't try to make it seem like I am. These colleges just aren't the most ideal place to go to. Can you study at one and find a job that more or less pays the bills? Sure, if you're lucky, but the facts are that you're going to be more valued if you studied somewhere like Conestoga and thus earn more money. For example, GRH has certain wings where they act as a teaching environment for people who go to Conestoga. This gives them much better experience and can help land them a job at the hospital or a public care home, earning them more and having a better resume on top of that.
(06-13-2021, 02:04 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 11:06 AM)Bytor Wrote: I'm really, really trying not to use "elitist" and "classist" here, but I'm just going to let myself fail at that because I can see that you've already got your mind set and no amount of contradicting information will make you change it.

I'm not making a classist argument, so don't try to make it seem like I am. These colleges just aren't the most ideal place to go to. Can you study at one and find a job that more or less pays the bills? Sure, if you're lucky, but the facts are that you're going to be more valued if you studied somewhere like Conestoga and thus earn more money. For example, GRH has certain wings where they act as a teaching environment for people who go to Conestoga. This gives them much better experience and can help land them a job at the hospital or a public care home, earning them more and having a better resume on top of that.

The number of places at community colleges is limited, though, not everyone who wants to be a PSW can get into their program. And this is the gap that the for-profit colleges help fill.

At our company, we try to hire the best candidates. And we try to avoid eliminating candidates on the basis of where they studied. Each candidate is an individual, and just because that person studied at university X or college Y doesn't necessary make them a better (or worse) employee than someone else. But that's just us ...
Well that's always a good thing: be inclusive despite where they studied. But that still doesn't negate the education and experience one can receive at a proper college versus schools that exist in dead malls and strip malls. There's a lot of online reviews for these kind of places that does not paint them in a good light.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant, I was mostly surprised to learn this place still operates when do many have shut down or have got into legal trouble.
(06-13-2021, 02:35 PM)ac3r Wrote: Anyway, this is all irrelevant, I was mostly surprised to learn this place still operates when do many have shut down or have got into legal trouble.

In other words, this one is better than all those other ones that got into trouble. Maybe it — shock! — is actually a decent institution of its type.

Quote:21-127499
49 FREDERICK ST
Permit is for the interior demolition of a portion of the ground floor suites in Market Square to prepare for a future tenant.

21-131005
49 FREDERICK ST
Permit is for interior alterations for Conestoga College campus.

Looks like Conestoga College is expanding their campus here. On one hand, they did say pre-pandemic that they'd do this, on the other, I'm kind of shocked that a campus that was only used for 2 months needs an expansion, and that Conestoga has the money for it.
(11-02-2021, 04:43 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
49 FREDERICK ST
Permit is for the interior demolition of a portion of the ground floor suites in Market Square to prepare for a future tenant.

21-131005
49 FREDERICK ST

Looks like Conestoga College is expanding their campus here. On one hand, they did say pre-pandemic that they'd do this, on the other, I'm kind of shocked that a campus that was only used for 2 months needs an expansion, and that Conestoga has the money for it.

Foreign students ... they bring in a lot of funding for Conestoga College.
(11-02-2021, 04:43 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
49 FREDERICK ST

21-131005
49 FREDERICK ST

A good problem to have.
I suspect that expansion was always in the cards from the day that they moved in but it was put off until now. The school got pole-axed when the foreign student pipeline was shutdown with the borders closed. There were various layoffs and some staff contracts were left to expire when the population dropped.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »