Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Market Square
(03-06-2020, 05:53 PM)KevinL Wrote: Might the college completely buy out Market Square eventually?

I think it's more likely the college would purchase a new property and move. Buying a parking lot that the city is selling for redevelopment and building new should be in their budget, as gives them a space designed for their needs rather than a former mall.

Also, there are significant other tenants. The Record, Sortable, and Trios all need spaces too.

(03-06-2020, 03:54 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 03:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The Conestoga College project was also half the cost of the one at Centennial. And it's not clear to me what the building looked like before it was reworked.
The Centenial college hasn't been constructed yet. $58 million in 2018 construction dollars vs $108 million in 2023 construction dollars. Obviously still more money but not half.  
 https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7842652,-...6656?hl=en

I don't think even construction inflation runs at 20%. But let's wait and see how much their eventual costs are.
(03-07-2020, 03:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 03:54 PM)westwardloo Wrote: The Centenial college hasn't been constructed yet. $58 million in 2018 construction dollars vs $108 million in 2023 construction dollars. Obviously still more money but not half.  
 https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7842652,-...6656?hl=en

I don't think even construction inflation runs at 20%. But let's wait and see how much their eventual costs are.
This is true. Not sure if that $108 is even in 2023 construction dollars. A lot of the time they do estimate this big projects in future dollar values though. Also you would have to take into account the weight average of constructing in Toronto vs constructing in Kitchener, which might not be that much I don't have any data on that. Either way would not want to see something like the culinary school in terms of quality in downtown Kitchener. Works well on university ave though.
(03-06-2020, 03:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The Conestoga College project was also half the cost of the one at Centennial. And it's not clear to me what the building looked like before it was reworked.

Has anyone seen the inside of the new CC Waterloo campus?  Did it get a major overhaul too?
(03-06-2020, 09:40 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 05:53 PM)KevinL Wrote: Might the college completely buy out Market Square eventually?

I think it's more likely the college would purchase a new property and move. Buying a parking lot that the city is selling for redevelopment and building new should be in their budget, as gives them a space designed for their needs rather than a former mall.

Also, there are significant other tenants. The Record, Sortable, and Trios all need spaces too.

Not to mention it is easier than trying to retrofit something pre-existing to fit your needs
triOS is moving out of Market Square. Maybe Conestoga is looking for their space?

The address in the poster has since been corrected, they're going to 235 King St E which is the office building that used to have the Arvato-Bertelsmann call centre and is also owned by Europro.

Hard to believe triOS is still around in 2021. I figured all those daytime TV advertised college scam places closed down. I'll always remember the Everest one:

A former co-worker got his massage therapy certification there, he found it a mostly positive experience but definitely some downsides.
(06-11-2021, 01:43 PM)ac3r Wrote: Hard to believe triOS is still around in 2021. I figured all those daytime TV advertised college scam places closed down. I'll always remember the Everest one:

triOS isn't a scam, though.
(06-12-2021, 03:57 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 01:43 PM)ac3r Wrote: Hard to believe triOS is still around in 2021. I figured all those daytime TV advertised college scam places closed down. I'll always remember the Everest one:

triOS isn't a scam, though.

I guess it depends how much you value a diploma from what is basically a strip mall college. Sure, it may get you a job, but it's such a low tier college. There are plenty of anecdotal stories out there from people explaining how they went there, paid time/money and never really achieved much. It's not a serious "school".
(06-12-2021, 10:01 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(06-12-2021, 03:57 PM)Bytor Wrote: triOS isn't a scam, though.

I guess it depends how much you value a diploma from what is basically a strip mall college. Sure, it may get you a job, but it's such a low tier college. There are plenty of anecdotal stories out there from people explaining how they went there, paid time/money and never really achieved much. It's not a serious "school".

It's really vocational training, don't think of it as "college" or "diploma". It's hands-on training for people who don't need university or college education or diplomas/degrees. In Ontario, there isn't really government-funded training for such careers so companies like TriOS fill the gap.

It really is a serious school, it's just vocational, not academic. And we do need to train people for those jobs, too.

The ex got her degree in paralegal from TriOS. She's very happy, and making coin. They have been around for a long time, so I am guessing they are very legit.
(06-12-2021, 10:01 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(06-12-2021, 03:57 PM)Bytor Wrote: triOS isn't a scam, though.

There is a lot of space between “vocational school which might not be of the highest quality” and “scam”.

If you're making coin after triOS you won the lottery. These are the kind places that result in PSWs working 3 jobs at 3 LTC homes at minimum wage just to survive or IT students running an OnlyFans side hustle just to pay rent. Private strip mall colleges are a scam, don't be naive. You go, pay for a worthless title and hope to the heavens you land a good job...which is hard to do when employers see you studied at a place like triOS.
(06-12-2021, 11:39 PM)ac3r Wrote: If you're making coin after triOS you won the lottery. These are the kind places that result in PSWs working 3 jobs at 3 LTC homes at minimum wage just to survive or IT students running an OnlyFans side hustle just to pay rent. Private strip mall colleges are a scam, don't be naive. You go, pay for a worthless title and hope to the heavens you land a good job...which is hard to do when employers see you studied at a place like triOS.

So, where should one study for PSW or paralegal instead? Because clearly we do need both paralegals and PSWs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »