Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours
I mean, this person has a legitimate issue, unlike the vast VAST majority of NIMBYs.

But at the same time, this just the trolley problem...we're driving the trolley, do we drive over 32 families or just 4....

Of course, since this the real world and not a stupid contrived and non-contextualized philosophy issue, we also have to face the fact that we drove the trolley into a position where we are forced to make this choice, knowing that we would be in this position, and still not choosing to do something different.

(02-01-2024, 09:19 AM)Acitta Wrote: Cambridge senior worries she'll have nowhere to go if council approves new housing project

They could easily fit another 8-12 unit building at the back of the property if they use the "amenity space" and/or some of the parking, and make that affordable rentals. They could fit even more if they lifted the buildings up by one floor and put the parking underneath.

[Image: blair-road-cambridge-housing-proposal-1-...021560.png]
Or staged the construction in such a way that those displaced get an opportunity to move into the first building in the project. I don't think that any municipality in the Region requires a right to return, and even in Toronto where that right exists, residents still have to wait years before the new development is ready.
(02-03-2024, 09:48 PM)nms Wrote: Or staged the construction in such a way that those displaced get an opportunity to move into the first building in the project.  I don't think that any municipality in the Region requires a right to return, and even in Toronto where that right exists, residents still have to wait years before the new development is ready.

It's a condominium project, that's why I suggested an additional building for affordable rental units.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »