Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uber Maps
Just saw an Uber mapping branded vehicle drive past my house.  Looks like Kitchener is next on the list.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/09...ronto.html

I guess they need quite a bit more detailed data, although it does seem waste productive for all these companies to independently gather their own data.  Sadly, I also don't think this data will meet other mapping needs such as accurate bike and pedestrian maps.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/31/123382...00-million

I guess paying Google for their data is more $$$ than they want to pay.
(10-31-2016, 09:55 AM)Markster Wrote: I guess paying Google for their data is more $$$ than they want to pay.

Does Google provide mass access to their data?  For streets view?  I'm not sure if they do.  If they are offering access, I doubt they're asking half a billion dollars for it, which is what Uber said they were spending on this.
I expect that they want deeper access to data than Google is willing to provide.

Detailed maps have huge value, especially for autonomous driving. And there is a high likelihood that Google and Uber will be competitors in that market.
(10-31-2016, 10:06 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Does Google provide mass access to their data?  For streets view?  I'm not sure if they do.  If they are offering access, I doubt they're asking half a billion dollars for it, which is what Uber said they were spending on this.

I know that you can use the Google Maps API for your service, and that above a certain usage you have to start paying. I just assumed that it's the same for streetview.
Who knows, maybe the amount that Uber would need to use the data would literally be ridiculous millions of dollars. And at that point, they're happy enough to pay the premium to just make their own dataset, and get all the extra flexibility and security of owning the raw data.
@tomh009 That is my guess, they want hyper accurate streetview data for pickup locations and self driving vehicles.

@Markster I know Google allows you to use their service, but I don't think they provide access to the raw backend data which is what Uber would need for what they want to do.
One of my students works at MapBox, who is a competitor in that space too. There is a Google Maps API, but in the end, you're still using Google's data, so that they have the power, and plus, they get all the information about what you are doing. So beyond the price (which can change), it's also a control question. Having your own mapping information is valuable if it's one of your key requirements.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »