Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WRPS HQ project (200 Frederick St, Kitchener)
The exterior cladding is horrible. Who ever came up with the idea of putting grey metal panels with concrete panels should have their architectural license revoked.  Reminds me of the Edmonton Library. 

As for the existing Police building, the region is consolidating office space. I don't see the need for the building to be used as office space anytime soon. Personally I would prefer the building be donated or "given back" to the haudenosaunee or first nations of the Grand River to create cultural centre with a museum, community space and offices. This would be a good step forward in the truth and reconciliation imitative the Region and the Country is try to achieve.

There was a rumour circulating awhile back about it becoming a new art gallery.
(06-08-2023, 08:39 AM)creative Wrote: There was a rumour circulating awhile back about it becoming a new art gallery.

I've wondered about that, but the only large space (afaik) is the gym at the back so I don't know how suitable it would be.  It would be great to see an expanded/new KWAG, however.
My theory is that they'll keep it as temporary office space for a while, and then eventually rip the old police building down and build something new in its place to take better advantage of the property. It's in the Civic Centre block, so definitely it will stay in the hands of the region (possibly Kitchener, but I think that would be a stretch). Would not be surprised if they installed a building that 'matches' the neighbouring regional building with the copper roof to expand office capacity for the region long-term.
(06-08-2023, 09:15 AM)SF22 Wrote: My theory is that they'll keep it as temporary office space for a while, and then eventually rip the old police building down and build something new in its place to take better advantage of the property. It's in the Civic Centre block, so definitely it will stay in the hands of the region (possibly Kitchener, but I think that would be a stretch). Would not be surprised if they installed a building that 'matches' the neighbouring regional building with the copper roof to expand office capacity for the region long-term.

The Region is a flexible work space now. With over 50% of the office staff working from home. I do not foresee this changing. In order for the region to attract talent they need to offer this type of work environment. The current HQ building is at maybe 25% capacity right now. 

Police will be using the space for a while as they transfer operations over to the new HQ. After that, I think it will continue to be regionally owned land with some sort of Cultural tenant.
(06-08-2023, 10:30 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(06-08-2023, 09:15 AM)SF22 Wrote: My theory is that they'll keep it as temporary office space for a while, and then eventually rip the old police building down and build something new in its place to take better advantage of the property. It's in the Civic Centre block, so definitely it will stay in the hands of the region (possibly Kitchener, but I think that would be a stretch). Would not be surprised if they installed a building that 'matches' the neighbouring regional building with the copper roof to expand office capacity for the region long-term.

The Region is a flexible work space now. With over 50% of the office staff working from home. I do not foresee this changing. In order for the region to attract talent they need to offer this type of work environment. The current HQ building is at maybe 25% capacity right now. 

Police will be using the space for a while as they transfer operations over to the new HQ. After that, I think it will continue to be regionally owned land with some sort of Cultural tenant.

Fair enough, I didn't realize such a high percentage were still working from home!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »