Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
I think that Rogers store has been used as a seasonal store for a while. I think I recall seeing Halloween and fireworks being sold out of there at various times. Didn't Rogers open another store at Waterloo Town Square too?

Also, 122 King St N, Waterloo (@ Central, formerly occupied by Spectrum Global Communications) has recently had extensive renovations both interior and exterior, structural and cosmetic. I think I saw a notice of another new dentistry practice on the window (another dentistry practice has renovated the house at 208 King St S (@ John), Waterloo).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

There is some hoarding up along the SunLife property at Park and John and Caroline and John. There are stakes in the ground too. Not sure what they are doing.
Parking, my money is on parking.
It's already parking no? Or are we talking about different spots?
(01-27-2015, 04:23 PM)Spokes Wrote: It's already parking no?  Or are we talking about different spots?

It's the house fronting King St, just south of John.  Interestingly, as far as I know, the house at the SE corner of John and Caroline does not belong to SunLife (or more correctly, the real estate firm that now owns the SunLife property).
(01-27-2015, 04:00 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Parking, my money is on parking.

That would have been my guess to, but wasn't this lot just redone when they fixed some sub-structure underneath a few years ago?
Does anyone know anything about the clothing store going into Loop's old space on Princess?

I have no idea, but I have an interesting anecdote about Loop Clothing.

Last week, I was at Kabelsalat, and happened to end up chatting with the owner of Loop.
It turns out, when the windstorm hit and damaged the building, he already had possession of the building on King St that Loop has since moved into. For some years, he had been on friendly terms with the previous owner/tenant of the King St building, and had a standing offer of "when you think it's time to retire, let me know, and I'll buy your building". That eventually came to pass, and the owner of Loop started considering his options for a new business to open up on King St, in addition to keeping Loop Clothing on Princess. That's roughly where he was when the windstorm condemned McMullan's. Pretty quickly, the plan changed to move Loop into the new space.
Another interesting piece is that it seems the insurance companies were up to their usual tricks, and were maintaining that the damage to the building was not due to the windstorm, but rather due to improper maintenance of the roof trestle. That's part of why it took a while before we saw serious repair work; the owner of the building had to finish duking it out with the insurance company.
The garage out back of 150 King St S in Waterloo (the new Coupal Markou offices) has been re-done. Almost looks like it is being set up to be a cafe or a nice small office space.
(04-23-2015, 09:00 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The garage out back of 150 King St S in Waterloo (the new Coupal Markou offices) has been re-done. Almost looks like it is being set up to be a cafe or a nice small office space.

It's being marketed as a live-work space.
There was some extensive environmental/geotechnical drilling core/water sampling being done in the parking lot at Willis and Regina today.
Developer buys old legion hall

Quote:“It’s certainly worthy of (heritage) consideration,” said Lee. “There are very few old commercial or manufacturing buildings left in the downtown core.

I don't really get why this would be a heritage consideration, it's not something I really see as worth saving. I would rather see this one torn down and something new built, but who knows maybe the developer will come up with something nice.
(05-27-2015, 06:45 PM)curiouschair Wrote: Developer buys old legion hall

Quote:“It’s certainly worthy of (heritage) consideration,” said Lee. “There are very few old commercial or manufacturing buildings left in the downtown core.

I don't really get why this would be a heritage consideration, it's not something I really see as worth saving. I would rather see this one torn down and something new built, but who knows maybe the developer will come up with something nice.

I agree.  And I think we have some much nicer commercial and manufacturing buildings preserved -- well, at least the facades: Seagram Lofts, Bauer Lofts, Waterloo police station, Kaufman Lofts, Arrow Lofts (although some of those are admittedly in Kitchener), ...

May 27, 2015 - A building (presumably a house) is going up on Dawson st, it's probably been along time since house has been built in this area. 
Developer = Neo Design Build

[Image: oHVauwr.png]

[Image: xed4MOd.png]

[Image: H8SyMzI.png]
Shalom Counselling is expanding their office at 9 Avalon Ave.

May 27, 2015

[Image: RrWbkG7.png]

[Image: 4C1X8c2.png]

[Image: 6cmyIWV.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »